Fordmods Logo

NAII FAIRLANE 

Page 30 of 36 [ 530 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 36  Next

Post subject: Re: NAII FAIRLANE
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:47 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its still going to be more work and money to put the barra..

that's why I said its easier to put el or au engine in..

ooorrrrr.. if you wanted a car that goes faster why in hell did you buy a na fairlane??

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

What Troy said....

Honestly, this is fact...

You own an EA equivalent car, any mods you want to do cheap are gonna be from the EA-EL range of vehicles...

Essentially you will be able to upgrade to a 98 model vehicle parts and running gear in the long run, and fit it all in the older shell.. this is what im doing and its what i want to do..

if your gonna keep looking at BA stuff, just save up and buy a BA and stop worrying about putting BA parts into a car that they arent gonna fit very easily and are gonna cost way over what you have already said is your low budget..

your gonna be saving up to around 5k to fit a barra and get it running properly, and you can buy a BA for that.... Just go buy a BA.... and then youll be forking out way more to modify that, being a newer car, parts are more expensive and a little more involved...

If you actually like the fairlanes big a** and body style then focus on modifying it..... WITH PARTS FROM AN EL! maybe AU engine....

As troyman said, a fairlane isnt gonna be a fast car you can eat SSes and BA turbos in.. they are cruisers! and you can make them nicer but on a budget your not gonna be getting 12s on the drag strip without some serious mods... and knowledge..

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

It was $500, my birthday present, had 158k km on the clock, owned by an old guy since new, he only used it on the highway, if you dont include general maintenance ive only spent $250 on it which is my sounds system, its nice and cruisy, better then my old camry which has done 178k km, it has more room, its alot more comfortable, if you include general maintenance its only cost about $700, its quieter then my camry, had 4 months rego, 4 new tyres, always serviced, its better then my old camry and most importantly it was free for me. Does that answer your question?
what motor is more reliable the au 4l or the ba 4l?

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

imo the au 4.0l is the most reliable 6 cyl engine

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So my best option is a el motor then? If so how much should I pay for a complete engine with wiring loom?

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So el or au motor? Which will be better for boost if I decide to go that way?

Last edited by Darcy4524 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Wow where are people getting 5k for the conversion from!!!!!!

Ive put a Barra in an EB. Same s**t as an EA or NA.

Motor ECU Pedal wiring is about $1000
Getting the ECU Security disabled is about $300 probably even less now days.
If your is a 4 speed auto. You need a Timing sensor that will give you an RPM readout for the Auto and Tacho to work. The TPS on the BA/BF are the same reading that wires directly to your Auto computer or TCM. That particular unit i think cost me $160 ill have to look into it.

As far as everything else goes. It bolts straight up to your auto. EA engine mounts bolt straight on. Power steering hoses bolt straight on. All you need to do is grind the fins off the front of your sump to clear the K-Frame. The bonnet on a fairlane will probably clear without any modification worst case. Grind the fins out.

The exhaust if stock will also bolt on to the bottom of the B series stock headers.
You can do a B Series engine conversion now days for 2000 , 2500 at the very worst unless wreckers near you are a complete rip off.

I spent more because I put PH4495s on and they cost me $500 and a high flow cat and 3" exhaust but it is NO WAY as expensive as people are telling you unless your not good with auto electrics/wiring.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

But if you want an Easy engine conversion get and AU motor dont even look at EF/EL. If only for the reason of AU motors will likely be in better condition. They have no head gasket failures and are unbreakable. Also they are everywhere so can be had cheap.

If your looking at boost. Probably an EF motor if your doing it on the cheap because the bottom end will hand more boost (stronger/shorter conrods) (fit an MLS gasket from AU and head studs)

If you have a budget for boost later on Do an AU motor. They have a more rigid bottom end. Better balanced crank larger main bearing and have a crank girdle stock. You just need some stronger rods, and pistons preferably.

Last edited by edfairmont4.0 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Im average with wiring but I will most likely hold out for a el fairmont as I love the shape and the extra bits they have over the standard el falcon. Id love to get a cardinal red (I think thats the color). Or get a au motor.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah EL are very nice. Lot of refinement over the earlier E-Series. I certainly love my EL.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
imo the au 4.0l is the most reliable 6 cyl engine

Definitely. Never managed to kill or wear one out in the last 10 years anyway. Never even had to replace a lifter nothing.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

As troy said AU is the most modern (98-01) engine, a bit more refined and advanced..

you wont need a loom, just the long motor. block and head.

an EL BBM and an EL ECU.

These 3 threads had all the info I needed to do a BBM conversion..

fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/fitting-a-ef-el-bbm-to-your-ea-ed-how-to-t95181.html

http://www.tiperformance.com.au/Documen ... 0EA-ED.pdf

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/half-way-through-bbm-conversion-t96111.html

In the end you have the EL block and head, and BBM all running off your factory loom. no major wiring loom mods.

EDIT: Also read this

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/about-the-different-ford-6-s-and-engine-retrofit-information-t31883-225.html

I have done the EL so I didnt have to do the sump cut... Its a little more "bolt in"

Also in the garage....

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
Wow where are people getting 5k for the conversion from!!!!!!

Ive put a Barra in an EB. Same s**t as an EA or NA.

Motor ECU Pedal wiring is about $1000
Getting the ECU Security disabled is about $300 probably even less now days.
If your is a 4 speed auto. You need a Timing sensor that will give you an RPM readout for the Auto and Tacho to work. The TPS on the BA/BF are the same reading that wires directly to your Auto computer or TCM. That particular unit i think cost me $160 ill have to look into it.

As far as everything else goes. It bolts straight up to your auto. EA engine mounts bolt straight on. Power steering hoses bolt straight on. All you need to do is grind the fins off the front of your sump to clear the K-Frame. The bonnet on a fairlane will probably clear without any modification worst case. Grind the fins out.

The exhaust if stock will also bolt on to the bottom of the B series stock headers.
You can do a B Series engine conversion now days for 2000 , 2500 at the very worst unless wreckers near you are a complete rip off.

I spent more because I put PH4495s on and they cost me $500 and a high flow cat and 3" exhaust but it is NO WAY as expensive as people are telling you unless your not good with auto electrics/wiring.

It was more a guess, also alice springs prices, i stand corrected there (its not really my area anyway) but adding in the highly likely chance hed have to take it to a mechanics/auto elec for some finishing touches 5k was a max guess... Main point was that it will cost more to do a Barra than an EL/AU engine.. anyway, cheers for defining it more..

Also yes.. ELs are very nice, smoother body, newer elecs and car in general.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah if someone is paid to put it in/wire it i can see it costing that much. If he lived near me id wire it up for him. A barra fairlane would be cool!

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Ive thought if it myself, there was a green XR6 Turbo that got drifted into a tree.
I was waiting for the auction at Pickles to come up but missed it and a wreckers bought it.. turned out though the impact was a little too close to the front and the turbo side was smashed badly..

But it is out of my price range and I dont have enough time and help from mates to get it done..

Also in the garage....

Sort by  
 Page 30 of 36  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 36  Next