Naths AU2 

Page 2 of 8 [ 116 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

funnily enough, bunnings, in melton victoria, its just standard round downpipe. the plastic stuff was either 80 or 90 mm which was too big for the rubber joiners.

i wouldnt use the downpipe in a boosted car though if thats what you are thinking, the rolled edge join would unravel under the positive pressure. you would most likely have to use 3 inch exhaust pipe stainless steel. exe but worth it...

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I was thinking that soldering the join would solve the unraveling problem..

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

under 9-10 psi of boost? i dont think they make solder that strong. prolly wouldnt stick too well to the zinc anyway. best bet is a madrel bent custom system done by an exhaust shop, should cost $150-$200.

better than paying $60 for a setup like this, then finding out that the boost splits it like a melon, and having to get an exhaust shop to do the job...

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

yeah, true enough..

besides, with the new water/air intercooler, there is much less pipework required than before.

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

was reading your post and I think you havent set the diff right thats why its whining...

you need to shim the pinion and crown to get exact tooth contact....sometimes u can get lucky doing how u did, other times not....

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
under 9-10 psi of boost? i dont think they make solder that strong. prolly wouldnt stick too well to the zinc anyway. best bet is a madrel bent custom system done by an exhaust shop, should cost $150-$200.

better than paying $60 for a setup like this, then finding out that the boost splits it like a melon, and having to get an exhaust shop to do the job...

i bought 6.5m of 3 inch alloy for $95 at my local alloy joint. i did my intake and now have about 5.5m left. if you lived local i could have cut you off a section.

if the bar aint bendin your just pretendin

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

how have u gone with the speedo correctors?

am thinking of doing the diff ratio change soon but not sure whats best to get around the error problem

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
how have u gone with the speedo correctors?

am thinking of doing the diff ratio change soon but not sure whats best to get around the error problem

I havnt lol, just have gotten very good at working out what speed i need to be on, ie to do 60=80 on the speedo, 80=107, 90=120, 100=136, 110=150 etc etc.

the preload on the diff was really good and so was contact according to my guy who has done enough diffs in his time, Ive read up on the skyline gears and they can be very whiny, especially with more k's on them. aparently the higher ratio BW a*** just have a propensity to whine due to the design of them. which would explain why ford didnt go any higher than the btr 3.45's as we all know ford do all in their power to keep thier cars quiet. 3.45's should have been the standard set, with xr's getting the 3.7/3.9... its a fantastic ratio, just coz its got a lot of k's on it, and is early model skyline gears, they whine under load when around 90-120. once you are cruising with control on at highway speeds they are fine.

the pinion gear didnt require shims at all because i got the proper au bearing, its only if you use a nissan bearing on the pinion (which are a tad smaller) that you will need to shim it. it fit to perfection, and we shimmed up the diff center properly too. its just a trade off i guess, better go for some whine. Im happy enough.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh and to actually fix the speedo i know what i need to do, im just doing the suspension first.

I have 2 speedo corrector kits from jaycar 45 buckes each. when i say Kit i mean kit, its a circuit board with a bajillion resistors to go on it with a diagram written in coded swahilli. Theres no way Im going to put it together right, so after the suspension is finished next sunday, the kits will go somewhere that can put it togther for me, and then i will fit them to the car.

you could get fully assembled ones from shiftkits.com for about $125 iirc.

you will need 2, one to intercept the signal from the trans to the dash to correct the speed reading, then one to intercept the wire going from dash to ECU to de-correct the signal to get the shift points right. otherwise it will try to go through the limiter under wot, and wont change up, as it is programed to shift at a certain speed, and with a much shorter ratio, you will never get to that speed in that gear.

hope that helps mate, ill post up as soon as its done, probably in the next 3 weeks, all going well.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Theres some info on fitting & setting up the Jaycar speedo corrector in this link if it helps

http://www.trueblueford.com/discussion/ ... php?t=3187

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

pics of lowerage up tommorow.

very happy with the outcome.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

in the background you can see mums cars, an 08 Fiesta and a 95 ef xr6 wagon.

and the difference in the rear springs, not a lot of length, but heaps more coils on the new ones.

this combo is low front, superlow rear, and could use some 17's or 18's now :)

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

anything else happening in this thread, only just spotted it,haha, havnt been on here for a while, hows the 3.9's going now, speedo fixed yet?

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

doing everything but the speedo lol, its been ages now havnt found anyone who can solder up the corrector kits i bought. theres a lot more construction involved than i banked on.

have put a 2.5 inch mandrel bent redback on it due to the exhaust needing replacing.

once i find someone who can construct my kits ill have a crack at putting them in and adjusting them.

the 3.89's are really the best bfyb mod ive ever had. dont use second gear to overtake at all anymore, unless going lower than 80, which theres no real need to overtake at. going through hills its actually hard not to accelrate, as it just eats them up.

3.45s are an easier install because you just use the xr speedo sender, but the 3.89's are just sooo much fun :)

crappy zorst clip from camera phone:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoTfuvNL9mo[/youtube]

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

nice as, will definatly have to look into changing the ratio in mine i reckon, what did it cost to do the new diff gears?

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 8  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next