Fordmods Logo

Naths AU2 

Page 4 of 8 [ 116 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post subject: Re: Naths AU2
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

SA, Australia

hey you wouldnt beable to give me a link for the ebay store that sells the screamin' deamon coil packs ive searched and emailed them. its just id prefer to buy off of ebay. so ur sure its the 31737
even though its listed on their site as 3.0 litre LOL. did you make a new baseplate to bolt it to or just strap it down??

its just my current 1s stuffed and i want to get a goooooood replacment

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

just reading the 2nd page of your thread and seen you plan to fit 2 correctors to fix the speedo and keep shift points correct

you will only need one corrector as per thread
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/modifying-auto-shift-points-t74472-20.html

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

djcustomcomputing wrote:
hey you wouldnt beable to give me a link for the ebay store that sells the screamin' deamon coil packs ive searched and emailed them. its just id prefer to buy off of ebay. so ur sure its the 31737
even though its listed on their site as 3.0 litre LOL. did you make a new baseplate to bolt it to or just strap it down??

its just my current 1s stuffed and i want to get a goooooood replacment

sorry for the wait, havnt been in here for a while.

the ebay seller i got it from is: http://stores.ebay.com/Fast-and-Blast-Performance

and yes the part number is the one i purchased. it fit 100% no different at all. yours is series 1 though dont know if the ones in S1 are different from S2?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
just reading the 2nd page of your thread and seen you plan to fit 2 correctors to fix the speedo and keep shift points correct

you will only need one corrector as per thread
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/modifying-auto-shift-points-t74472-20.html

yes the origional plan is quite old, and based on a much earlier thread. Ive actually posted in the linked thread there, on the last page. my plan was going to use 1 corrector between trans and dash to correct signal, then a flash tune to correct shift points. This way is a lot easier to return to stock if i ever have to, as its only the trans/dash wire that needs to be rejoined, and engine tune returned to stock, which is a push of a button and a turn of a key :)

without the advantage of flash tuning, the one corrector intercepting the way in your diagram is the way to go.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Long time no update. things havnt been going so well.

no work for a few months has put a hold on a few things that need doing.

so far the list goes:

Needs XR rear upper control arms to correct diff angle that is shagging the diff bearings and chewing out the gears since it got lowered all those months ago.

Need new diff bearings and new a*** < for some reason the site thinks "g e a r s e t" is a swear word.

Transmision needs replacing, runs ok but has too many leaks sick of filling it up all the time, and clutch packs are very worn. Will be picking up a t5 conversion kit from FTG auto on wednesday, that has box, clutch cable, ecu pedal box, flywheel, etc everything needed for conversion. Gotta figure out how Im going to do the swap since I have no idea how to do it, and no monay to pay a mechanic. need to install a speedo corrector also when the box goes in.

Have a wade 1671au camshaft regrind ready to go in, with a crow cams vernier gear. no idea when that will ever happen, too much to do before hand.

Lastly will need a flash tune after the cam install. have opted to take it to http://www.bulletperformanceracing.com. ... sport.html when this happens. These guys are in geelong, and arnt JMM so thats all my boxes ticked lol.

a lot needs to happen but no income to make them happen lol.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Grimketel wrote:
a lot needs to happen but no income to make them happen lol.

Im in the same boat, no job, no mods :lol:

Should be running a heap better when the cam and tune are done :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Will be picking up a t5 conversion kit from FTG auto on wednesday, that has box, clutch cable, ecu pedal box, flywheel, etc everything needed for conversion. Gotta figure out how Im going to do the swap since I have no idea how to do it, and no monay to pay a mechanic. need to install a speedo corrector also when the box goes in.

Honestly it is that hard converting from Auto to Manual. Just follow the guides floating around yeah they are E model related, the differences are minor. Alot of use a have done it some done in a weekend some in a week and some in a day. If you are abit cluey on the tools you shouldn't have a drama. May I ask why would you need a speedo corrector? just swap the speedos from the Auto box to the manual one and you shouldn't have a drama.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Honestly it is that hard converting from Auto to Manual. Just follow the guides floating around yeah they are E model related, the differences are minor. Alot of use a have done it some done in a weekend some in a week and some in a day. If you are abit cluey on the tools you shouldn't have a drama. May I ask why would you need a speedo corrector? just swap the speedos from the Auto box to the manual one and you shouldn't have a drama.

The one and only reason for the corrector is that i have 3.89 gears rendering the speedo incorrect no matter what gearbox is in it. They will eventually come out, as I feel they are too tall for the t5, but thats a money issue again. Im not putting a new ratio in until I get the control arms/diff angle corrected otherwise Ill wreck a third set for nothing. May even put the 3.08 back in until I can afford a 3.23 or 3.45.

Im not that handy with a spanner but Im learning. The biggest obstacle to me that Im trying to nut out is how to get the thing high enough off the ground safely to drop the auto and put in the manual. Then its about swapping out the ECU, as the maual is series 1 and Im told there will be some minor differences in the wiring. Its a good time to do it though, as it doesnt matter how long its off the road since Im not working anyway. after the manual is in and running its a case of fixing the diff angle with xr control arms, then putting new bearings and gears in the diff, then getting the cam and tune. By this stage I should be at leats competant with a spanner. or so I hope.

Quote:
Im in the same boat, no job, no mods

Should be running a heap better when the cam and tune are done

Its a s**t that it was so sudden i was right in the middle of some major rework on the car when this happened. I put all my savings onto the conversion kit the morning before I got the news. ><

The cam is what it needs even now, it doesnt make power up high enough to take advantage of the 3.89's, as it doesnt drop below 4k when accelerating from standing still.

If i could get some work it would be a lot closer to being finished lol.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

got the bits from FTG today. Boy it looks like its going to be a job, the loom has a million different plugs, and the ECU has one, and I cant see how it works lol. Ordered the short shifter today, and will have to get new clutch, better off puting new one in now rather than risk the one that came second hand.

The conv kit contained (from an au series 1 xr6 ute):

au t5 tremec
pedal box
cable
ecu
loom
clych and flywheel
xr6 alloy tailshaft.

Definately going to be the electrics that are tricky. wont be attempting anything until next weekend, as Ive gotta help my brother move house fri/sat/sun.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

how much did it cost you??
how much is the short shifter??

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Also maybe a stupid question but isnt a tricked auto ecu allmost as good as the manual??
it would be a **** load less effort

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

djcustomcomputing wrote:
how much did it cost you??
how much is the short shifter??

short shifter was an ebay item sold by the company 360 infinity. a couple of other members here have purchased one and have good things to say about them. $117 delivered to my door from the US and A with insurance box ticked. The one for Mustangs 83-01 i think was the one to choose.

the kit cost $1650 all up (1500 + 150 gst). Id prefer to have a proper manual computer just for the sake of doing things right. If I cant I wont hang up on it, but Ill try that option first. Aparently some of the plugs and looms are different according to darren at FTG so I dont think I can plug the series one Loom into the series 2 computer.

It will be a learning curve once its all apart to see what can and cant be done since I know of no one who has put an au1 manual in an au2.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I pulled out the auto ecu to a) see how you go actually removing one, and b) see if the pinouts are the same, because I really dont like my chances of replacing an entire dash loom. After a lot of cursing a swearing (ford really dont want you pulling the ecu out on these models) it apears that the series 2 plug is a stright fit for the series 1 ecu. Heres to hoping that they didnt change pinouts for anything in the dash between s1 and s2. If they didnt its an easy swap, and I can avoid having to pull out the entire s2 loom (which would mean an entire dash removal and rewiring which is definately NOT on the cards) and replace with the s1.

Will probably start the conversion friday next week. short shifter should be here by then :)

If its not, can you instal a short shifter with the gearbox still in the car?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Image\

with shortshifter fitted. unsure if the angle is correct. can be reversed to face forwards if it fowls on the cupholder/center console.

closer look. have adjusted the stop bolts to give good engagement and short shift.

do you think Ill need a sealant under the base of the shifter? the stock item's bottom edge was rounded at the edges and had some clearish seal around it. If its needed what is it called if its anything in particular?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I am really going to miss the old 4 speed and 3.89's combo. Its just the perfect ratio for it. I was just in melton, going to bursons to get some gerabox fluid, and anyone that knows melton and where bursons is wil know the road Im talking about. There was a VT clubsport (not sure if 5.0 or 5.7), who decided that he would try and drag me from the lights at the hyundai dealership. The road after there is very straight and wide enough for a congo line of jumbos to land sideways.

it was even stevens to about 120 ish (i think i had just popped into 3rd when I braked and backed off), and he couldnt catch me. its such a good ratio for that gearbox. I know he would have passed me eventually, the old 4.0 i6 just doesnt have the top end legs to compete. but from 0-100 the humble au i6 with very few mods at all outdid the best HSV could throw out in the VT model.

god I love fords.

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 8  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next