Fordmods Logo

RAPTOR_XR8's eb. 

Page 10 of 23 [ 336 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next

Post subject: Re: My New Turbo build
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Got a few photos with the camera, the rubber on the balancer doesnt exist and the outter has actually started cutting a groove into the sump from when i drove it home from Casula.

Damage isnt that bad, should be getting it off tomorrow.

The pic of 30* is how it should look lol.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA xr8 Falcon Boss 330

Power: 221 rwkw

NSW, Australia

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3242/pic4072.jpg

363 strokers are slow btw.

And comin' off the line when the light turns green
Well she blows 'em outta the water like you never seen
I get pushed out of shape and it's hard to steer
When I get rubber in all four gears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1XvC_xvhYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc60-zt0e9A

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA xr8 Falcon Boss 330

Power: 221 rwkw

NSW, Australia

HI^^

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And comin' off the line when the light turns green
Well she blows 'em outta the water like you never seen
I get pushed out of shape and it's hard to steer
When I get rubber in all four gears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1XvC_xvhYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc60-zt0e9A

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Balancer and pulley are back on but just run out of energy to put manifold + rocker cover back on.

So 19lb injectors are back in so it runs properly for rego, once thats sorted its tweecer time see how much i can get out of 10psi maybe even 12.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

capare wrote:
Good to hear brad now you can get on the dyno :P
looks like i can keep my motor in the garage if i ever decide to return to stock after the 363 is in :twisted:

Matt

I still want your motor as i need something with less kms so its not getting any rest soon.

Will be interested in what your engine makes with that rpm manifold tomorrow.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Well car is back together and runs without that awful vibration(completly gone).

When i got back from warming it up i turned it off and got out my timing light set it all up and............

flat battery, so its on my neighbours bat charger over night.

Now i just need a laptop and im set to tune it after i sort rego out, everything works 100% so theres no reason for it to be knocked back.

Btw BOOST KICKS a**

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

awesome build mate,

how much power are you hoping for?

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Um running 9psi id hope between 220 - 240 rwkw tuned, getting a laptop very soon.

Have to fit my LC-1 kit and get the bung welded on, im redoing all my wiring because its a birds nest infront of the turbo and near the brake booster add to that i have 11hundred wires running through a non existent grommet.

Also sort out battery into the boot install which im just not confident in because ive replaced a 12month old battery with a new one and it turns out my starter was absolutely rooted.

The reason for the relocation is neatness and shorter i/c piping thats away from the dump pipe im even considering w2a i/c, all my piping is going to be replaced with 3'' and properly welded.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Bought a 5ltr today only has 190tho km on it, this is the motor i will have everything setup for im aiming for over 250rwkw still dont know if im going to fit a better manifold tho.

Tossing up between porting my h.o which will cost me nothing or look at getting a typhoon type manifold still unsure.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

OK where are we...

Update time..

Changed the oil filter and oil, i moved the fmu boost refrence from the pipe at the turbo to the manifold, made a cover for the pod and turbo and installed a bosch 023 fuel pump.

Now for a while it has had fairly low oil pressure and when i got up the engine the oil gauge would drop down to the first line and hover there, now i dont drive it much and i just thought the turbo must have worn the motor out... well...

After changing the oil and filter it now has good oil pressure again, same pressure before the turbo went on.

Looks like my spare motor will be gathering dust for a bit longer now.

Relocating the boost signal from the turbo i/c pipe to the intake has made a s**t load of difference to the fueling side of things now it doesnt feel flat if that makes sense, i did put the stand 19lbers back in too as with the 24s and retarded timing it just over fueled driving around town and would foul up my spark plugs.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

I had an issue with the timing prior to the harmonic balancer letting go and as it turned out when i was changing boost levels and timing it was going wayyyyyy out...

After fitting the one i bought off brett i checked my timing to see it was way over 30*, It was that far over 30 that there were no marks on the balancer omg...

Timing is now set to 28* and now it behaves under boost like a real turbo car should at this rate i will need new tyres.

Im getting an explorer manifold and am looking at a 65mm t/b, once those are on im taking it to joes for a dyno run before i start tuning with the tweecer (still havent got a laptop yet and i want to get a dyno run just to see where the car is at on 7- 8 psi untuned)

Ive found two of my oil leaks, one is coming from a rocker cover gasket from my roller rocker install and the other is from under the engine possibly from the rear breather.....

So car is going good and its nearly 100% reliable ie no leaks and s**t.

Brad

Post subject: update
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Finally got a second hand fuel tank (thanks papa smurf) and installed it with my bosch 023 fuel pump, this is where i hit a snag.

The bosch fuel pump is so huge it wont even fit in the little box inside the fuel tank so i had to mod the bracket alittle more to make it fit and the ring could seal the tank properly.

Another thing i wasnt happy with was my intercooler piping (still not 100% there yet) and i was sick of the piping being to low and hitting speed humps and steep drive ways.

At the same time i had the perfect opportunity to relocate my thermo fan switch + wiring + relays, now it looks so much cleaner and less clutered.

So car has been off the road for about a month while i re did things i wasnt happy with, finding the time wasnt an issue was just my body holding me back...

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

more pics

Post subject: Update
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok explorer manifold is on and running, new 023 fuel pump fitted AND a tune solution...

Big thanks to sam12h, been a massive help aswel as pointing me in the right direction and for lending the chip that he flashed for me.

Now after fitting the explorer manifold the 19bl injectors with the fmu are just too small, sam went through the timing maps and knocked a few degrees out between 3500 and 5000 rpm as that is were it pinged.

After taking the car around the block we knew exactly what direction to go, timing was removed on the wot map and part throttle was increased above 3* iirc, egr has been disabled and idle set at 900rpm.

I am absolutly stunned/surprised/taken aback by how easy sam set everything just a few key strokes and its go time, i then handed the keys to ol mate and i can safely say he KNOWS how to drive lol... Now that sam has seen what a std h.o can do with 6psi slightly tuned he has stated that he wants his tow car running boost of the turbo kind..

Overall im quite happy with how everything went the ease of it all and sams's knowledge and help have completly changed how i feel about my car...

Thanks sam you have been a massive help.

Will update with more later.

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

No worries Brad, glad I was able to be of some small help. I'm also glad I got to experience the very satisfying (and deceptively quick) surge that 6psi gives a 5L Boxcar 8-)

Yeah, it didn't need much changed, just a bit more timing at low revs and low load (ie. while off-boost) to help the throttle response and 12 deg' or so less at WOT (ie. while on-boost) to significantly reduce the pinging. Timing is also gradually pulled out of it as the temps rise. Fuel shut-off under deceleration is also now active (which apart from saving some fuel should help the turbo cool when coasting).
Given that it's running a 12:1 reg', the MAF is on the boosted side of the turbo and there was no way of monitoring the AFR, we haven't even touched the fuel maps yet (I have a distinct fear of hurting someone else's car). Once reconfigured (Brad's on it) it will be possible to accurately alter the fuel mapping.

Now Brad, just get that short list of little things sorted so you can start perfecting the tune yourself before gradually winding up the boost. :twisted:

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 23  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next