Fordmods Logo

RAPTOR_XR8's eb. 

Page 15 of 23 [ 336 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Post subject: Re: My New Turbo build
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Been tweeking the j3 here and there and testing some idea's, ive managed to get most of my low down torque back which has given me the steam to keep at it.

Now i dont know if it was just me or what but when i swapped the explorer over i lost alot of low down zip and the power band felt like it had been raised (really pulls from 3500 to 5500).

After trying to figure out why it was over fuelling badly once under boost i pulled out the 42's and reinstalled the 24's but the issue was still there anyways turns out every vacuum line had some sort of split or crack.

Its currently running with 24's and fixing the leaks helped tidy up the lag abit but what really gave its balls back was leaning out the fuel down low the response is so much better, turbo starts spooling with a slight touch of the pedal = me happy.

I feel theres much more to do with the ecu and i believe increasing the timing during spool will help it hit quicker/harder.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Well standard plugs with standard gap cant handle 7psi lol, funny as s**t having spark blow out while showing off, popping and backfiring like anti lag.

I think ive sorted out a reasonable tune for 6.9psi its not ragged edge or anything but i think its time for more boost and to retune again, my ebc is playing up(wont increase boost) so ill install my 8.7psi spring and go from there.

Without having a working afr gauge i cant say what they were but i was able to run the 24's with no fmu @6.9psi and retarded timing with no pinging, even after hooking up the fmu it didnt need much reg to have adequate fuel (55psi).

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Oh s**t is all i can say....

Ill never trust a bleed valve again....

After installing my 8psi spring and adjusting timing to suit car was running great heaps of power, so i fitted my turbosmart bleed valve and took it for a spin.

I found the right amount of clicks to hit 10psi, now my transmission hates me something hard it keeps going into limp home mode after a few WOT runs.

Now at this point im loving the power the car is making its nearly the fastest thing ive been in, this is where it goes down hill...

I figure ill try for 12psi and see how we go.... WELL f**k YOU TURBOSMART for making the s**t bleed valve's ever.
Half a turn gets me 10psi so you would thing a few clicks from that would get me near 12 yeah, i saw 14psi and it pinged its tits off... i now can smell exhaust gases in my coolant (no oil mixing with coolant).

So it needs new head gaskets even tho car is drive able (builds pressure under boost)

Going to book the car in soon at transmission shop and assess that there but for the heads im thinking gt40's (not P' as id need to redo headers again)

hm what to do?

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:55 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

that sucks...

i got a turbo tech one and it works great, but mine is variable doesnt click into position.
they can be a little sensitive on there adjustment..

do you have an aftermarket trans cooler? if not sounds like the fluid it getting too hot under load?
does the power light on the cluster flash when it goes into limp mode??

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

My turbosmart one works fine.

1 turn is about 3 psi.

It could be a wastegate flow issue or something.

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

I knew the turbosmart boost tee's spike sometimes, so i removed the ball and spring and it was stable no fluctuating i know this cause i use a second one to control boost seen to the fmu.

Anyway you look at it i should of just run the 42's live and learn....

No the power light doesnt come on at all during limp home mode, sometimes you cant even select gears manualy.

It seems to have a massive delay which you can feel when it changes gears like the motor keeps reving but powers not transfered if that makes sense.

6psi spring comes up with 6psi as 8psi comes up with 8psi, the gizzmo electronic boost controller is very accurate compared to my speco meter boost gauge.

I suppose after two years of running untuned with large amounts of ping thrown in for good measure had finally taken its toll with the hg, just deciding now wether to fit the low k motor or fix the hg.

Post subject: Where to from here?
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Just deciding on what to do next.

Thoughts of 351's and 347 strokers have been on my mind lately due to seeing capares build moving along (363 stroker monster).

Now the obvious question is would i still run a turbo with said above motors....

So i have a std H.SLO 5ltr sitting in a shed waiting for some love, my current engine has blown head gaskets and my auto needs looking at...

Crazy ideas of selling my turbo as a whole kit (would include everything to have your V8 running boost), to doing a twin turbo 351 i guess its my dreams running wild with i want to do vs what i can afford.

No matter what way i looked at it i just couldn't let the turbo go as there really is nothing quite like boost, my problem then would be 'is my current 60-1 too small for a 347 or 351?'.

I still have my T66 wheel and housing so it shouldnt be a big problem there and what would top end would i need for either of those motors?.

Well i think ive layed out a reasonable plan that will take some $ and time to build.

The 100,000km motor is getting the top end ripped off for some goodness + decent head gaskets and im looking at a tfs1 cam or even possibly a turbo grind, ill run that motor for a couple of years until i can afford $ for a 347 stroker bottom end.

This current engine will harbour the eventual 347 so the car should only be off the road for a minimal amount of time.

So maybe my turbocharger will be up for sale soon while i start getting everything into motion.

Post subject: Re: RAPTOR_XR8's fairmont build stage 2 sort of?
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

keep in mind the crazier you go, the more its going to cost you in the driveline.

My plan is mild 5L with the turbo.

GT40P's, RR's, Explorer manifold, possibly a cam once its running , then shoot for 300.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Let me know the price on the turbo kit if you choose to get rid of it. :mrgreen:

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Sending pm

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Plans now include my old diff and seeing as theres still $700 owing on it im taking it back then i need to hunt down the speedo gear for it.

Thinking of selling the turbo kit minus injectors, maf and j3, an fmu with an 023 on 8psi would make atleast 240rwkw so the buyer would just need those 2 items, planning on a motor + turbo combo that will push these 42lb injectors.

Ill start taking photos tomorrow of a few things im selling aswell

t66 comp wheel and .70 a/r housing
tweecer r/t
h.o phenolic spacer
fms 24lb injectors
black turbosmart bleed valve

Ill put prices up when i make a forsale thread.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Shouldnt a T66 be good for close to 450rwkw? I'd be keeping it and maybe put the old rear housing back on.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Yeah my options are open but atm the whole lot is forsale

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Went for a nice cruise tonight and there was some spirited driving, the auto seem's to be burning the fluid and the engine is starting to overheat really badly.

Happy fun times second weekend in a row that ive nearly been busted, last weekend was a rbt (cops checked tyres and baby seat) and tonight they were checking under the bonnet of every car there, so we all decided to head out into the city.

Thinking of taking it off the road till i fit new engine with goodness.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR8 363 stroker

Power: 260 rwkw

Man this car is fairly quick reminds me of my mates xr6turbo, your crazy if you want to change it or sell it. Just reco the heads and fit good gaskets with ARP head studs and you will be right Brad.

Sort by  
 Page 15 of 23  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next