Fordmods Logo

RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon 

Page 12 of 42 [ 617 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
I got a little confused last night while trial fitting the CC bits. I have 2 vaccum controls, one from an EL and one from an EF. The EF (black) one wants to mount on the fan duct, the EL (blue) one wants to mount on the box itself. Having been advised that I should use vaccum with like head unit I'll be using the EF one and will be interested to know which mount I should be using!

I found this to be the source of my CC problems. Luckily in my case, Macca came to my rescue with his EL CC unit.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
I found this to be the source of my CC problems. Luckily in my case, Macca came to my rescue with his EL CC unit.

racedirector wrote:
Having been advised that I should use vaccum with like head unit I'll be using the EF one.....

And it was you I was referring to in this statement :)

The EF vaccum thingo is vastly different to the EL one. Not only is it black and not blue, it has an additional little vacuum thing attached whereas the EL version doesn't. See attached pics....

I would actually prefer to have an EL head unit but grabbed an EF one instead. Was thinking of installing the EL version vacuum and waiting for an EL head unit. However, there is one black line coming from the vacuum connector that doesn't go anywhere so I am not quite sure what to do with that one....

Anyway.....

Cheers
RD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'm thinking now, after a discussion with Ben, that the black one may not be EF after all but something out of EA-ED (Ben's EB one looked identical). EF's do have black ones but they look more like the EL one.

So, once I confirm what the "spare" black line is for (pic later), I will put the EL vaccum unit in and source an EL head unit to replace the EF one I currently have. Not the greatest solution but will do for now, the EF one will just be in the dash for show.....

Cheers
RD

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just to confuse you more RD, I have a blue one in my car and it came out of an EF2, which I believe is the same as an EL. I did a search on these forums and it was said that black was for EF and blue was for EL but found out the hard way. The same was said for the stickers on the solenoids, 94DA for EF and 97DA for EL. The experts wouldn't believe that I had a blue solenoid with "94DA" on it.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Just to confuse you more RD, I have a blue one in my car and it came out of an EF2, which I believe is the same as an EL. I did a search on these forums and it was said that black was for EF and blue was for EL but found out the hard way. The same was said for the stickers on the solenoids, 94DA for EF and 97DA for EL. The experts wouldn't believe that I had a blue solenoid with "94DA" on it.

Ha! Wonderful, I am sure Ford does these things to confuse everyone :)

I definitely know my blue one came out of an EL as I pulled it out :) It doesn't actually have 97DA on it though, all it has is 9 1 40 067 003 and P4038141XX.

The black one however has 87DA on it which pretty much confirms it is NOT EF but an earlier model.

I have no idea what specific model EF my head unit comes from, all I know is that it has black buttons not grey.

Now, that "unknown" vac line.... see attached piccy. It comes off the vac block on the vaccum control side between the brown (tan) and red lines, and has a connector on it like it continues somewhere. There are no spare points on the vac control anywhere so I am stumped as to where it should go. I didn't take that much notice (stupid boy!!) when I pulled it off the car.... if anyone can identify definitively where it should go I would be very appreciative.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You will have a vacuum resevoir under the drivers guard. This black pipe goes to the resevoir so that you can change your vents whilst the motor isn't running.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
You will have a vacuum resevoir under the drivers guard. This black pipe goes to the resevoir so that you can change your vents whilst the motor isn't running.
I was just about to say "but my EL GLi already has a feed to the vac resevoir" when I decided to look at the manaul heater controls I took out. It does not have any tubes between the brown and red lines which make me think that the EL Ghia has a different arrangement on the vaccum block and you are indeed correct in terms of a Ghia. I will double check what comes through the firewall on the GLI and see if I can do away with this line altogether....

Cheers
RD

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Oh, and I forgot to add..... my EL Fairmont dash loom arrived today. Absolutely perfect, removed with much care. Everything I need is there plus a few that I have no idea what they are, like a blue plug around the location of the BEM which doesn't have anythng to plug into and 2 bulb sockets & bulbs - one on each each of the loom. I suspect these bulbs may be footwell lights but need confirmation so if they are I can work something out. That blue 4 pin plug though has me stumped......

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, weird things in the vaccum lines for heater/climate controls on the EL I have. That errant black line above (on the Ghia vaccum controller) does actually have a matching one coming in, it is the shorter of the two smaller lines coming in from the engine bay. I also have a large line coming in that splits off in two directions - one off to the resevoir and the other into the vacuum block.

However, my errant one on the Ghia side of the block does NOT have a matching line in the GLi standard heater controls. What is surprising is that I did not hear any hissing/sucking noises when drving the car back from Newcastle.

So, to make a long story short, now I need to go back to PnP and find the car I pulled the vacuum control out of and try and see where this damn black line goes! Major PITB I can tell ya!

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Why does this sh!t keep happening to me!!!!!!!! I went out and fitted the Fairmont dash loom to my dash tonight and it has plugs for every kind of friggen option EXCEPT FOR A BLOODY TRIP COMPUTER!!!!! I am tired and p****d off right now and just cannot believe that a Fairmont wouldn't have a bloody trip computer.

In the area where it should be are 3 plugs - 1 for rear demist (looks the same as the GLi one), one for rear wipe/wash (looks the same as the GLi one) and one other plug that matches the pin configuration of the electric aerial switch. Nowhere in this trio (or loom for that matter) is there a small black plug that fits into either the friggen clock or trip computer.

I am just about to give up on the whole bloody thing and burn the friggen lot of it - aaarrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well this crap just gets better. The wiring is there but does not have a plug on it, it does not look to have been cut off because it was half way under the foam that wraps the bundle. I mean I had to tear the foam covering off until I got to the wires.

I started at the RH cluster plug to see if the blue data line was there, which it was. I then went up to the bundle in the TC area and found the data line went at least in there somewhere. I then found all the correct colors going in to the foam but never coming out!

Had enough for tonight now, wonder what other roadblocks will be thrown up along the way......:mad:

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Four pin plug wouldn't be an airbag thing... Hmmmph. Four pin plug by the bem? Only button there is to activate central lock, try that!

Doesn't the clock and the trip computer use the same plug, just wired differently? You could just insert some pins into the clock plug that I presume you already have and connect to the new loom?

That extra black vacuum hose should be heading off to the reserve in the drivers wheel arch inside the area where the repeater is?

Luck be with you.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

RD

If I can find time over the weekend, I will pop out so we can check out the wiring together.

I am pretty sure the vac pipe goes to the CC head unit for the sniffer motor.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

AHAH. That could be it - although seem to remember mine as being clear. Seems like the black line has a clear jointer on it... That may be what I remembered.
Good luck with it...

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Good luck mate, hope you dont have too much more trouble.

Those bulb holders are for the footwell lights. One screws in next to the bonnet realease, the other under the glovebox.

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 42  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next