Fordmods Logo

RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon 

Page 30 of 42 [ 617 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next

Post subject: Re: RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
There should be a plug in the side of the box to fill it from.

BenJ

Ah, yea I know that much :) It's actually getting the fluid in the box that is the dilemma. Hopefully someone has a better way other then filling a oil can and pumping with ones thumb.........

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

buy a hand pump that you can put straight into the big container of trans fluid.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
buy a hand pump that you can put straight into the big container of trans fluid.

Sounds like just the ticket! Supercheap style, yes?

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well this is how I have always done manuals and I reckon it would work the same on the EL box.
Length of garden hose (obviously clean and dry) fed down from the engine bay into the filler plug and tape a funnel into the engine bay end of it. A 50c funnel from bunnings and some insulation tape works just fine.
Then you can just pour the oil in the funnel and it will run quite happily into the box.
Yeah you do get a little bit of spillage when you remove the hose but not enough to worry about.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

^^^^^^^^ Brilliant!!!!

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Well this is how I have always done manuals and I reckon it would work the same on the EL box.
Length of garden hose (obviously clean and dry) fed down from the engine bay into the filler plug and tape a funnel into the engine bay end of it. A 50c funnel from bunnings and some insulation tape works just fine.
Then you can just pour the oil in the funnel and it will run quite happily into the box.
Yeah you do get a little bit of spillage when you remove the hose but not enough to worry about.

What a bloody brilliant idea! It's usually us Kiwi's who are the innovative ones :)

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

What a bloody brilliant idea! It's usually us Kiwi's who are the innovative ones :)

Yeah I agree. You Kiwi's are more innovative and imaginative then I will ever be. I just dont think about sheep that often to be coming up with new ideas about them........................ :mrgreen:

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Oh come on you lot. Sort it out...

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, time for me to do things on the wagon rather then Rach's EF. Her trans is still not playing ball in Economy mode but it works in Power mode so I will leave it like that for now.

Anyway, got to play with the wagon today and put some bits in I have had lying around. First up some bling :)

Chromes handles - yay!

Leather handbrake boot and chromes button - yay!

Only need the leather shift knob and button to finish off shiny bits now....

Also learned a trick off BenJ - spray the rubber intake bits with tyre stuff:

The black plastic bits inbetween will either be painted or replaced with ali tubing shined up, dunno which way yet....

I also got cruise installed, had the steering wheel buttons laying around for a bit and bought the electronic bit a while ago on ebay:

Unfortunately at this stage it doesn't work for some reason. "Cruise" lights up in the dash but it will not "set". All the wiring seems to be in place and as can be seen in the above image the proper bits are present under the bonnet. The AUTO CC fuse is also fine. Not sure where to go from here though, will figure it out eventually.

I also fear I need another power steering pump, it is making some funny noises, noises that I am sure it shouldn't be making.

Seeing as I now have it back, I will be slowly collecting more parts and doing more things to the ole girl. My list includes:

* Find one of those elusive 3 hole dash surrounds (or make one) for the aerial, rear wiper, demister buttons.
* Find and install a leather gearshift knob with chrome button.
* Install EL Fairmont seats to finish off the interior. Have a set on hold at the moment, just trying to complete the deal.
* Decomission the airbag system and turn the passenger airbag spot into a hidden storage area. I'll keep the EL steering wheel though. Wonder if I can remove the airbag and replace it with something else? Hmmm, something to think about.
* Find and install an AU map light thingy in the roof.
* Find and install those little plugs for the door cards, the ones that hide the bolt holes.
* Find some stuffed plastic door "timbers" to paint and put on the doors. Something planned for these which will be divulged when I have done them.
*Finally* wire up the damn door ajar sensors :)
* Purchase either a complete reservoir bottle with sensor (for an EL no less!) or just get the oring and sensor for my current one. One thing I did notice is that the plug for this seems to be different. Either that or I have the wrong plug and my loom doesn't have one (which would be strange as it has most other things). Will investigate further.
* Maybe, just maybe, find and install door lights, you know, those Ghia ones. Still thinking about that as it involved more damn wiring :)
* Remove the 4.0 badges from the front gaurds and install AU clear indicator lenses.
* Remove the Falcon GLi badge off the rear. May replace it with a Fairmont one, still deciding on that one.

After all THAT, I will get onto the outside and tint the windows plus paint the side bits body color. I have a replacement front bar here to go on as well after a little massaging. There's probably more that I will eventually want but that will do for now.

Oh, yea - the other day I had the pleasure of driving BenJ's wagon - bloody awesome I can tell ya. Sometime in the future I now want to convert the ED to manual - never thought I would say it but after driving a six cylinder manual for the first time I am hooked. Definitely a long term project but there nonetheless. Along with the manual there is also extractors, 2 1/2" exhaust system and a mild cam, probably something along the lines for an EL XR6 cam or similar.

Brain dump is now complete :)

Cheers
RD

Last edited by racedirector on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have one of the 3 hole switches somewhere here. When i find will be happy to send it your way Free Of Charge.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
I have one of the 3 hole switches somewhere here. When i find will be happy to send it your way Free Of Charge.
Brett

Thanksyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!!!! :) That would be cool Brett, will finally be able to make the dash look completeish.....

Cheers
Bruce

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I also have an EB 5 speed and complete setup for the conversion, including an EB ECU. 700 and its yours, comes with a free ute
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
I also have an EB 5 speed and complete setup for the conversion, including an EB ECU. 700 and its yours, comes with a free ute
Brett

Yea, I know - read that in your thread. :( I'd be jumping at it if I had the cash, don't you worry....... :)

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
TerroristGHIA wrote:

Thanksyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!!!! :) That would be cool Brett, will finally be able to make the dash look completeish.....
BenJ has a spare too - he did offer to me, but I made one up from a 2 hole jobby. Is your antenna button a grey one ??
racedirector wrote:
Find and install those little plugs for the door cards, the ones that hide the bolt holes.
Should be able to help you out there with a couple of doors, I think I have enough - back door blanks are different from fronts.
racedirector wrote:
Install EL Fairmont seats to finish off the interior. Have a set on hold at the moment, just trying to complete the deal. Decomission the airbag system and turn the passenger airbag spot into a hidden storage area. I'll keep the EL steering wheel though. Wonder if I can remove the airbag and replace it with something else? Hmmm, something to think about.
Why not partition the glovebox - surely it has enough room ??? I've got a complete EL fairmont rear seat + bolsters, but I have plans for the fabric - if I have enough left, you can have to match the door cards to the seats if you like ??
racedirector wrote:
Finally* wire up the damn door ajar sensors. Maybe, just maybe, find and install door lights, you know, those Ghia ones. Still thinking about that as it involved more damn wiring
You can set them up like we did with BenJ's setup - each door light is independent, and only one wire is needed outside each door for the dash.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

RD, please apologise to your lovely wife, for me allowing you to drive my wagon. Just as long as you tell her that I did not make you drive it, OK???

Oh, and I hope you did not divulge where you sourced all that lovely bling (cough, cough) from either.

For the blanking thingos, there are a couple of Fairmonts at PnP, so it may be worth having a look there. Also a couple of EL Futura Wagons too.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Sort by  
 Page 30 of 42  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next