Fordmods Logo

RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon 

Page 31 of 42 [ 617 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next

Post subject: Re: RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
TerroristGHIA wrote:
I have one of the 3 hole switches somewhere here. When i find will be happy to send it your way Free Of Charge.

Thanksyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!!!! :) That would be cool Brett, will finally be able to make the dash look completeish.....
BenJ has a spare too - he did offer to me, but I made one up from a 2 hole jobby. Is your antenna button a grey one ??

Yea, I know Ben's got one - he keeps telling me :) And no, the antenna switch is black. I am actually changing them all to black to go with the trip and climate fascias. I have a black wiper switch and rear demister switch next to me on my desk. I'll only need to door lock switch and the fuel flap switch to complete the grey to black changeover....

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
Find and install those little plugs for the door cards, the ones that hide the bolt holes.
Should be able to help you out there with a couple of doors, I think I have enough - back door blanks are different from fronts.

I actually have some.... somewhere. I know they are in a plastic bag, it's just the location of that bag escapes me. I remember Ben telling me they were "coded" as to their position around the car too....

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
Install EL Fairmont seats to finish off the interior. Have a set on hold at the moment, just trying to complete the deal. Decomission the airbag system and turn the passenger airbag spot into a hidden storage area. I'll keep the EL steering wheel though. Wonder if I can remove the airbag and replace it with something else? Hmmm, something to think about.
Why not partition the glovebox - surely it has enough room ???
The biggest issue I have with the airbag system is locating the front sensor in the ED considering it has to be mounted in a specific way. If I could figure that out successfully and stop the incessant flashing of the damn Airbag light on the dash, I might consider keeping them. I read somewhere that it wasn't actually a good idea to attempt to retrofit the airbag system into a car that wasn't supposed to have one. Is that what you mean by the above?

snap0964 wrote:
I've got a complete EL fairmont rear seat + bolsters, but I have plans for the fabric - if I have enough left, you can have to match the door cards to the seats if you like ??
Are they very different from an EF Fairmont, have never seen an EL Fairmont wagon..... I actually have another EL wagon on the way which has a full set of Fairmont seats in it but would definitely be interested in matching the doors to the seats. :)

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
Finally* wire up the damn door ajar sensors. Maybe, just maybe, find and install door lights, you know, those Ghia ones. Still thinking about that as it involved more damn wiring
You can set them up like we did with BenJ's setup - each door light is independent, and only one wire is needed outside each door for the dash.
So they are basically wired to the door switch so they only activate when that one door is open? If it is only one wire I might add them to my definite list.....

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
RD, please apologise to your lovely wife, for me allowing you to drive my wagon. Just as long as you tell her that I did not make you drive it, OK???

I read this out to Rach and she just said "He's in trouble for that!" with one of her evil looks. She's really not that scary though :)

BenJ wrote:
Oh, and I hope you did not divulge where you sourced all that lovely bling (cough, cough) from either.

Nope, didn't say.... but when I showed her she said "but my car still has everything working, like cruise", which was good in a way because it meant she didn't care..... maybe.....

BenJ wrote:
For the blanking thingos, there are a couple of Fairmonts at PnP, so it may be worth having a look there. Also a couple of EL Futura Wagons too.

Cheers
BenJ

I might visit PnP tomorrow, I'll be over that way, to have a sticky beak at them to see what's left. I have a sneaking suspicion something in my wiring isn't playing ball with cruise control and I'll need something from one of them.....

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
Seeing as I now have it back, I will be slowly collecting more parts and doing more things to the ole girl. My list includes:

* Find one of those elusive 3 hole dash surrounds (or make one) for the aerial, rear wiper, demister buttons.
* Find and install a leather gearshift knob with chrome button.
* Install EL Fairmont seats to finish off the interior. Have a set on hold at the moment, just trying to complete the deal.
* Decomission the airbag system and turn the passenger airbag spot into a hidden storage area. I'll keep the EL steering wheel though. Wonder if I can remove the airbag and replace it with something else? Hmmm, something to think about.
* Find and install an AU map light thingy in the roof.
* Find and install those little plugs for the door cards, the ones that hide the bolt holes.
* Find some stuffed plastic door "timbers" to paint and put on the doors. Something planned for these which will be divulged when I have done them.
*Finally* wire up the damn door ajar sensors :)
* Purchase either a complete reservoir bottle with sensor (for an EL no less!) or just get the oring and sensor for my current one. One thing I did notice is that the plug for this seems to be different. Either that or I have the wrong plug and my loom doesn't have one (which would be strange as it has most other things). Will investigate further.
* Maybe, just maybe, find and install door lights, you know, those Ghia ones. Still thinking about that as it involved more damn wiring :)
* Remove the 4.0 badges from the front gaurds and install AU clear indicator lenses.
* Remove the Falcon GLi badge off the rear. May replace it with a Fairmont one, still deciding on that one.

Forgot one thing :)

To make my electric aerial/antenna button actually do something I need an electric aerial! Der!!! So, added to the above list is...

* Find and install an electric aerial, either from an EL or AU.

There, done now :)

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

You will also need the brackets etc from an EB one to allow the later model ones to fit. Also look at the Fairlanes.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
You will also need the brackets etc from an EB one to allow the later model ones to fit. Also look at the Fairlanes.

BenJ

Cool, thanks for the info. :)

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:36 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
The biggest issue I have with the airbag system is locating the front sensor in the ED considering it has to be mounted in a specific way. If I could figure that out successfully and stop the incessant flashing of the damn Airbag light on the dash, I might consider keeping them. I read somewhere that it wasn't actually a good idea to attempt to retrofit the airbag system into a car that wasn't supposed to have one. Is that what you mean by the above?
Nope - I mean't to keep them, the crash sensors have arrows on them. Expression does have a point re the non existence of crumple zones.
racedirector wrote:
Are they very different from an EF Fairmont, have never seen an EL Fairmont wagon..... I actually have another EL wagon on the way which has a full set of Fairmont seats in it but would definitely be interested in matching the doors to the seats. :)
EF's have 3 or 4 colour schemes in velour - I've only seen the one in the EL's.
racedirector wrote:
So they are basically wired to the door switch so they only activate when that one door is open? If it is only one wire I might add them to my definite list.....
Along with a couple of mods, yes.
racedirector wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion something in my wiring isn't playing ball with cruise control and I'll need something from one of them.....
Maybe the clutch switch wiring doesn't has the shorting link connected.
racedirector wrote:
Find and install an electric aerial, either from an EL or AU
You'll need a pre EF mast, as the upper mount to the guard is different - masts are interchangeable.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
Nope - I mean't to keep them, the crash sensors have arrows on them. Expression does have a point re the non existence of crumple zones.

I'll have an other go at mounting the front sensor so it doesn't foul the bonnet (like it did originally) AND mounts the right way up etc. If I can then stop the airbag light flashing (need to check the tech docs) I may keep them. As for crumple zones, did the EL have zones? Was it *that* much different from a late ED?

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
EF's have 3 or 4 colour schemes in velour - I've only seen the one in the EL's.

Ah OK, I have only seen an EF version, mainly 'cause Rach has one :) Will see if I can find an EL Fairmont in a carpark somewhere and have a sticky beak inside......

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
Along with a couple of mods, yes.
Ah, you see it's that "along with a couple of mods" bit that has me worried :)

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion something in my wiring isn't playing ball with cruise control and I'll need something from one of them.....
Maybe the clutch switch wiring doesn't has the shorting link connected.
Checked that and it has a factory installed link on it. The wiring in the dash is from an EL Fairmont. My multimeter died so I'll need a new one to do the checks as per the tech doc. There is also the possibility that the cruise unit I bought off fleabay is 'ted too. I am going to take it back out tomorrow and check the cable fitting just in case. I may also fit the other brake pressure switch I have, both were from PnP wrecks so are an unknown quantity...

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
Find and install an electric aerial, either from an EL or AU
You'll need a pre EF mast, as the upper mount to the guard is different - masts are interchangeable.
Cool, thanks for the info - didn't know that.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Ahh all after all 23 pages...

I really enjoyed your story, well done on all your hard work.

I keen to put a EL engine in mine along with the much neater hidden wiring looms which cleans the engine bay up some what. The EL dash is also a nice upgrade from the ED, just that bit more updated.

Something to think about once the funds are rolling in.

Hope your mods have been going well thou its been some months now.

Regards,

Michael.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks Michael

Appreciate your comments.

The very best way to put an EL dash and engine in is to score the wiring out of an EL, makes things alot simpler. I cheated in this way when I did the wagon as you may have seen. It added a bit of extra work but it was just a turn the key and fire versus hunting down little niggly problems (that is aside from my gearshift fopar :))

It is ticking along pretty good. I actually regret putting an EL gearbox in it, I would have preferred a late ED/early EF with a dipstick. I am stuck with it unfortunately until I get the manual box I want to install in the future. I still have a few little things to do as detailed above and then I will be happy just to drive it aorund until further mod bugs bite....

Cheers
RD

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I did a little trip up to Medowie on Sunday to pick up some doors and it has turned out to be a little more expensive than I first thought....

Before I went up I had a bit of an exhaust leak. I first thought it was coming from the joint between the cat and the system but then felt it coming from what I thought was the seam of the front muffler. Well it turned out to be neither..... the trip up Newcastle way and back revealed the seam weld around the pipe entering the muffler was breaking. Today, however, it came apart totally, falling into 2 pieces. I hastily got on the phone and found a place local to me that could supply a 2 1/2" mandrel bent cat back system with 2 mufflers for $350.00, sporty yet quiet. I pick it up tomorrow. To be able to get there to pick it up, I have wired the 2 parts of my current exhaust together with #8 fencing wire - she's noisy but muffled (sorta) :)

At least I will have part of my planned exhaust system, will be on the lookout now for a set of well priced extractors to finish off the package....

I'll find out how it actually sounds fitted sometime tomorrow....

Cheers
RD

Last edited by racedirector on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Oh, and I also picked up an EL Ghia speed sensitive steering rack last week. That will be fitted when I reco my front suspension with new balljoints and tie rod ends. Still a bit of work to come on the ole girl :)

Cheers
RD

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Yeah Baby!!!!

Should be sounding good soon.

I found the rear hanger to be a PITA but with a bit of lubricant like WD40 on the hanger bush I got it in the end.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Good tip! Can't wait, she sounds like a truck at the moment - too much of an attention grabber for my liking. :)

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, I picked up the exhaust at 4:30pm this avo, not a minute too soon as my repair job was failing.

Turned out it is a Redback system, 2.5" mandrel bent with high flow mufflers. According to the guy at the exhaust place it should be quiet but sporty and not too droney for a family car.

Started to fit it and immediately ran into problems. Firstly the joint between the two sections on the old one were in no way going to come apart. Simple fix, cut the bastard in half with a cutoff wheel. Next trick was getting the rear section out..... having never done this before (the exhaust was installed in one piece when I was building the car) and I found it wasn't going to come out with the wheel on, so I cut that in 2 pieces as well. And turns out a replacement was really due and the old mufflers were rattling inside and all sorts of crap fell out.

The front section then fell off due to being in two pieces with just the section attached to the cat to come off. Now, if you think that was simple, think again. The 2 bolts were locked solid and weren't coming off in a month of Sundays. Seeing as I started this halfway down my driveway, I decided to move it right up the back to finish it off. Now, with no system aside from a cat, she was a tad loud. Anyway, once up the back I just cut the bolts off with my trusty cutoff wheel and she was exhaustless. To cut a long story short, I fitted the front section, took it down off the ramps, jacked up the back to remove the rear wheel and fitted the rear. Just had to start it to see what it sounded like but couldn't get much of a idea as it was only idling. Not quite finished, have to trim the tailpipe and fit the tip plus reattach the rear bumper - took it off for better access.

Will report tomorrow if it sounds "sporty" at all :)

Cheers
RD

Last edited by racedirector on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It will sound good mate.
Donnas old EL sounded pretty good with the 2.5" system on it.
Just got an annoying ashmatic rasp to it at high revs. Think it was due to the rolled edges of the tip.
It never worried her as she never reved it that hard to hear it.
When I was driving it? Yeah it annoyed the s**t out of me all the time........................... :twisted:

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Sort by  
 Page 31 of 42  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next