Seftons EA 

Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Seftons EA
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1991 Ford Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

hey man well its all in! the thing wont fire up though!

So far i have tried both the original ea automatic computer and the eb1 manual computer (pre-smartlock) to fire up the car both resulted in nothing, you can hear the starter, just clicking. Also accessories like lights, indicators and radio work, but for some reason the electric windows wont? Also to let you know at the current stage I'm using the manual gearbox loom straight from the ed plugged into the ea.

Have yet to try dismantling the auto loom and putting that to work. Anyideas? i can't even here the fuel pump priming also as of yet the car has failed to turn over just clicking.

Build Thread - More of a mismatch of parts :P the-garage-f53/seftons-ea-t106586.html

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

try your fuseable links mate, ive blown one of these when the stereo shorted out and it wouldnt let me wind the windows up or start the car but i had idiot lights, also check the fuses under the dash board

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

going to get a multimeter tomorrow, so does anyone know whether the manual gearbox loom is straight plug and play? i always figured that everyone mucked around with the auto loom simply because they didn't have the manual one. Cheers bryl well just now i realised that i hadn't connected the earth on the gearbox did that, now have plenty of juice for windows, cd player etc. still doesn't want to crank though. At the moment i also have put the ea auto computer back in to rule out the manual ecu as an issue.

Build Thread - More of a mismatch of parts :P the-garage-f53/seftons-ea-t106586.html

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

now theres also an issue with the plugs underneith the car for the auto gear box you need to join them i think, if you do a search on here or boosted i recently seen it mentioned when another member had the same issue, did you do this?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

Here's an extract from a conversion guide here:

"All you should need to do now, is to go around to the front where the relays are. Remove whatever you have to, to expose the block of four relays - usually, just the battery. The starter relay is *usually* the one nearest to the passenger compartment - check, though, I dont want to tell you to do this to the wrong relay! heh...wrecked car...no thanks..
So, find the starter relay, then on pin 86 (read the underside of the relay) you should find two orange/black wires (colour and number may vary - PLEASE make sure you know which relay it is!). Cut these wires off an earth the ones on the relay side of the cut. I just soldered a wire to them and ran it round to the negative terminal on the battery, but a screw thru the body somewhere should work just as well.
Now, the car should start!" - Heres the link btw http://www.fordforums.com/f536/auto-man ... ide-33910/

Now i haven't done this because i don't understand why you have to do it! doing this what does it actually allow you to do? I'm sorry if i sound like a 'noob' because as far as i'm concerned i am!

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i think i know where i seen it on boosted ill have a read and post here for ya :wink:

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

All i have done to the car is, put the gearbox on tail shaft hooked up, all the mechanical side of things done! I am using the manual loom from the ed for the gearbox hooked up to the loom on the car. Also using the ea ecu, i have not cut up or altered any wiring per say its all factory stuff. all i've done is replace the automatic loom with the manual one from the ed all connected to to the gearbox, speedo sensor etc

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

Cheers man the electrical side of things confuses/ really pisses me off as i know sweet f all.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

this guys problem was the smart lock and also he had to work out the reverse lights from the neutral switch and bridge the neutral, but if you fitted the wiring loom from the manual then it isnt your problem:(

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

Well trying to run through ideas here, cheers for the help bryl. Part of my problem before was that i couldn't wind any windows up or down etc, i presume this was because my starter wasn't earthed properly, i had earth from battery to motor but not too the body of the car. So i completed the circuit by using the old earth lead from the auto and connected it to the bell housing to the body. Without having a multimeter handy i can't say much but i now have enough power for windows accessories etc but still not enough for the starter to try turn over the engine. If its just a matter of that, I've chucked my battery on charge again! if it still doesn't fire up i guess i can rule out my starter and earths out as an issue, and that it could possibly be something to do with loom, computers etc? I'll disregard pissing around with the relays as mentioned by that guide as now the only reason i could see you doing that would be to earth the starter? Which i have just done doing it the way i mentioned instead.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

Well fuel pump is definitely priming, i can hear it from the back. Still not enough juice for starter well at a guess. I'm buying a multimeter tomorrow to see how much voltage there is across the battery.
I'll also try and run power directly from the battery to the starter aswell to make sure that it is going to crank over and that its not some other issue preventing it from doing so. And i guess i'll narrow or widen my search for the culprit from there.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

Got her fired up today. idled like s**t! running rich as alot of balck smoke out the back. Stalled if you let off the gas and sounded like a rotor when you had it on :/ any ideas fellas? First time the car has ever run this bad. Also have a video of the problem, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vujXcrSDhtk

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

OK I'm a idiot. vacuum line, well I'm guessing it is wasn't plugged into the map sensor ... . must've been knocked about a bit i guess :/

Well anyway manual fairmont certainly kicks a**, I only took it up the street, no wof or reg at the moment, plus my steering column needs that lower bearing. So much better then the auto, feels like a completely different car.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

good to see its going now,

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

manual is much better isn't it :D only downer is cable clutch.
funny how alot of conversions people have somehow knocked a vacumm line off lol

Last edited by Troy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 6  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next