Fordmods Logo

The Boat. It should of been stripped............ 

Page 9 of 27 [ 404 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next

Post subject: Re: Ahoy Captain!!!! The Boat. 95 NF Fairlane 5.0
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nah still not sorted yet mate.
Extractors will be going on on Friday/over the weekend as it is booked in first thing Monday morning to have the exhaust done. Full twin 2.25" system to the rear bar.... :mrgreen:
Fingers crossed it might get a run next Wednesday night all going well.
Dont know yet will see what happens.
The 40's will be a little bit off from going on yet.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

Will it have a balance pipe or not on it ? should sound good either way with the twin pipe's.I'd be fairly keen for next wednesday night if not the week after.....

phill

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

taxi 5L wrote:
Will it have a balance pipe or not on it ? should sound good either way with the twin pipe's.I'd be fairly keen for next wednesday night if not the week after.....

phill

Nope no balance pipe.
Full thong slapping goodness.
Was given the options of quiet , loud or f**k loud mufflers.
Have gone with loud.
Fingers crossed it sounds ok. I am hell keen to get down to the creek. Will let you know how Im going.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Wouldn't have it any other way in a LWB. 70's thong slapping goodness :)

What's this talk about the gearbox? I've got a spare still sitting here Matt :wink:

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

EVL098 wrote:
taxi 5L wrote:

phill

Nope no balance pipe.
Full thong slapping goodness.
Was given the options of quiet , loud or f**k loud mufflers.
Have gone with loud.
Fingers crossed it sounds ok. I am hell keen to get down to the creek. Will let you know how Im going.

it should sound like marks ed wagon then,its got a nice thong on it at full noise :mrgreen:.Keep me posted and i'll come down for a run again...

phill

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Wouldn't have it any other way in a LWB. 70's thong slapping goodness :)

What's this talk about the gearbox? I've got a spare still sitting here Matt :wink:

Yeah I am a fan of the good old thong.
Gearbox is all good Mark. I had to have the front pump seals done in mine and the d***head at the gearbox joint managed to break the exhaust on the car. Looks like they didnt put a stand under the motor when they dropped the box and just let it take the weight on the exhaust which broke all the mounts and generally just stuffed it.
They also managed to crack a brake line.
All is being sorted so we will just make it bigger and better.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Nice lane champ, But I am a little confused :)

All the talk about XH Utes, made me think you where getting rid of this lane? Seems like you have changed your mind though :lol:

Look forward to see your progress mate.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Saturday saw the install of a 3" single exhaust system after having a rather interesting discussion with an exhaust guy.
Long story but he was right it does go a lot better and has a lot more bottom end pull.
Advance Extractors went on it today. Looked at welding the cats back in and decided f**k it thats too much like hard work so I will take it back to the exhaust joint in the morning.
Sounds good but just coming out of the extractors!
Have a 10km drive tomorrow morning with it like that. Kind of looking forward to it actually.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Saturday saw the install of a 3" single exhaust system after having a rather interesting discussion with an exhaust guy.
Long story but he was right it does go a lot better and has a lot more bottom end pull.
Advance Extractors went on it today. Looked at welding the cats back in and decided f**k it thats too much like hard work so I will take it back to the exhaust joint in the morning.
Sounds good but just coming out of the extractors!
Have a 10km drive tomorrow morning with it like that. Kind of looking forward to it actually.

Thats interesting. I have heard 21/4"-21/2" is more than adequate on a semi standard 5 litre and will flow enough for around 350+ horsepower. Also heard that 3" is better for top end power.
Strange the diffrent responces from diffrent exhaust guys!

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

No thong clapping Fairlane Matt? I sure wouldn't be disapointed with a deep sounding 3", much cheaper to get too. Be sure to post up a sound file :)

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Mark I would post up a sound file if I could get my stupid video camera to talk to my puter. Thats another job currently in the too hard basket.............
Mont 5.0 what you say is correct and there is actually a method in the current madness.
After another exhaust guy (who wound up doing the job) showed me some flow charts and dyno runs on his sons Fairlane I was swayed to go to the single.
They originally put a duel 2.25 on his and lost a stack of low end torque and basically his boat was more a tinny then a speed boat. Top end (4000rpm+) was improved but for general drivability and getting it off the mark by all accounts it sucked balls.
Remember we are talking standard motors here.
All they could put it down to was the car was actually over exhausted.
Looking at the Lukey flow chart a single 3" on a 5.0 is enough to support 325hp NA. A duel 2.25 will support 375hp but with a loss of low end torque.
Its basically personal choice which way you go. With me having a fat boat and a fat driver well I needed all the torque I could get , thus why it has Tri Y's on it instead of 4 into 1.
We have also left the standard cats and centre merge pipe at this time to increase exhaust flow speed to improve torque , but removed the old restrictive standard system.
Once the GT40P heads are fitted (apparantly them sitting in my boot has no performance increase value :roll: ) , a nice cam is fitted and a convertor , we will fit hi flow cats and a new large diameter merge.
At this point in time the system is setup to do the best it can do with what I have , so I dont get a laggy pig to drive around.
I was very suss on his ideas at first and he was more then happy to do the duel so I was still looking at going that way but he did warn me I would not be happy.
When he offered a full credit on a duel system if I wasnt happy with the 3" single I figured he must of been pretty confident so decided to give it a go.
Very happy I did now. It has lots more pull off the mark , still runs out of puff in the top end but I reckon thats more the E7 heads then anything.
Once the motor is cracked open we will go bigger again.
I know there and many different opinions on this and my setup could very well be wrong but at this point in time its working for me and working well.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Mark I would post up a sound file if I could get my stupid video camera to talk to my puter. Thats another job currently in the too hard basket.............
Mont 5.0 what you say is correct and there is actually a method in the current madness.
After another exhaust guy (who wound up doing the job) showed me some flow charts and dyno runs on his sons Fairlane I was swayed to go to the single.
They originally put a duel 2.25 on his and lost a stack of low end torque and basically his boat was more a tinny then a speed boat. Top end (4000rpm+) was improved but for general drivability and getting it off the mark by all accounts it sucked balls.
Remember we are talking standard motors here.
All they could put it down to was the car was actually over exhausted.
Looking at the Lukey flow chart a single 3" on a 5.0 is enough to support 325hp NA. A duel 2.25 will support 375hp but with a loss of low end torque.
Its basically personal choice which way you go. With me having a fat boat and a fat driver well I needed all the torque I could get , thus why it has Tri Y's on it instead of 4 into 1.
We have also left the standard cats and centre merge pipe at this time to increase exhaust flow speed to improve torque , but removed the old restrictive standard system.
Once the GT40P heads are fitted (apparantly them sitting in my boot has no performance increase value :roll: ) , a nice cam is fitted and a convertor , we will fit hi flow cats and a new large diameter merge.
At this point in time the system is setup to do the best it can do with what I have , so I dont get a laggy pig to drive around.
I was very suss on his ideas at first and he was more then happy to do the duel so I was still looking at going that way but he did warn me I would not be happy.
When he offered a full credit on a duel system if I wasnt happy with the 3" single I figured he must of been pretty confident so decided to give it a go.
Very happy I did now. It has lots more pull off the mark , still runs out of puff in the top end but I reckon thats more the E7 heads then anything.
Once the motor is cracked open we will go bigger again.
I know there and many different opinions on this and my setup could very well be wrong but at this point in time its working for me and working well.

EVL, a single 3" is good enough to go 14.3@97mph on a near stock 185kw AU Manual. I ran that time with the standard crap headers, stock cats, and the Lokka. 3" will be fine until you go crazy.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

I hope it all works well for you. Sounds like you have a good plan of attack there.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice work dude, i will give you a call tomoorrow and organise a time to drop out.I have some bits for ya, I wont be able to pick my bits up til friday. If you could get them i will sort out payment at Harries.
Cheers
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Mont5.0 wrote:
I hope it all works well for you. Sounds like you have a good plan of attack there.

Cheers mate. Yeah Im hoping it all works out too.
Doing plenty of research before I do things now. Have wasted too much time and money inthe past ripping straight into things with my ears pinned back only to either change it or getthe s**t and throw it away when it doesnt come out as I want.

xr6turnip wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 27  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next