Fordmods Logo

The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front 

Page 8 of 34 [ 505 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 34  Next

Post subject: Re: The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Good work indeedy... I have an issue you could provide clarity on (although the answer is obvious, someone may learn something...)

You've almost convinced me to buy some sedan side skirts for the wagon, chop them in the middle and add about 75mm using a similar technique...

Took roof rack off to replace with a new one. New roof rack is thinner. Put bog with fibreglass fibres in holes left by removal, but then it rained that night and has been raining ever since.

Bog, if I read it correctly, is not water proof and has therefore turned into a rust causing lump of hard crap that needs to be removed, re - done and resurfaced.

What should I be doing on the roof? I've ascertained that removal of my rain effected bog is compulsory, but can I then use the fibreglass or metal fibre filled bog products such as that made by NEWTECH?

Some old timers have said they used to use lead as roofs bend and flex a little too much and my nice tidy bog will crack in next to no time?!

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

fiend wrote:
Good work indeedy... I have an issue you could provide clarity on (although the answer is obvious, someone may learn something...)

You've almost convinced me to buy some sedan side skirts for the wagon, chop them in the middle and add about 75mm using a similar technique...

Took roof rack off to replace with a new one. New roof rack is thinner. Put bog with fibreglass fibres in holes left by removal, but then it rained that night and has been raining ever since.

Bog, if I read it correctly, is not water proof and has therefore turned into a rust causing lump of hard crap that needs to be removed, re - done and resurfaced.

What should I be doing on the roof? I've ascertained that removal of my rain effected bog is compulsory, but can I then use the fibreglass or metal fibre filled bog products such as that made by NEWTECH?

Some old timers have said they used to use lead as roofs bend and flex a little too much and my nice tidy bog will crack in next to no time?!

Good idea with the side skirts, if there fibre glass you could chop it in half, place on the ground, use some strong tape such as aliminium tape and simply space the 2 halfs 75mm aparts and apply tape on the outside and start fibreglassing.

Ok with wet bog, its ok if it became a little damp, as you can use a heat lamp or a hot air gun to dry it out providing it hasnt been soaked in ages. However if iam getting this right you want to fibreglass up some old roof rack holes? If you really carnt weld them up you could take your hood lining out, sand around the holes, apply tape under the hole, and use fibre bog or fibre glass... however it will be thin and may crack due to vibration and weather over time. Id be suggesting carefully welding it with a bronze welder so you dont create to much heat. Or your other option is getiting hold of a plastic or even better rubber bung or gromit and putting it it the hole, then sealent or stickaflex around the bung from the inside in insure no water leaks, that way you could paint the bung or gromit to blend it in with the roof. For your other question about using led, thats actually illegal (dont quote me on that) but i think it was taken out of repair industry due to the dangers it causes your health. You have a few options but if you carnt get a welder go the gromit idea. And also applying bog to roof can cause high and low spots around your repair area. Since the roof is so thin and hasnt got much support and bracing behind it, bog heats up as it cures, causing the pannels to soemtimes warp. Best way to avoid it is applying very thin lawyers of bog at a time and slowly sanding each one and applying again till you build up your desired height. Hope this some how helps you out champ.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
the build is coming along great, i probably wouldve gone with a purple 'not as light' though

maybe something that goes dark in full sun, with light purple highlights on the curvature of the panels.... something similar to the factory bordeaux colour

Hows it going FordFairmont, yeah i really love the clour of your car, the purple i have choosen is surprisingly similar, in the direct sunlight its alot lighter and glittery looking (due to the perals) but once the sun is behind a cloud the colour darkens right up. And at nighttime youd think it was a black car. The photos i took were in direct sunlight. But when i look at the paint in doors it looks more similar to your colour. Ill have to wait and see how it turns out. Cheers mate.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks for the hints. Well worth while.

However --- Roof rack had loads on it which has pushed the roof in and made these nice dents the shape of the old rack mounts. I did put rubber grommets in the holes to keep water at bay whilst I decided what to do. Since the dents were that big anyways, I figured filling them is the only answer. Have managed other small weld jobs and the roof lining has to come out one day as am making up a custom rig to support the 15" lcd monitor going in where the ceiling courtesy lamp usually sits. Have another roof lining sitting on top of my mates spa pool, keeping flat.

It's just so damn cold and miserable over here that progress has hit new levels of nothingness!

Is lead really bad for your health? How would you use it if you did happen to have some?!

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

fiend wrote:
Thanks for the hints. Well worth while.

However --- Roof rack had loads on it which has pushed the roof in and made these nice dents the shape of the old rack mounts. I did put rubber grommets in the holes to keep water at bay whilst I decided what to do. Since the dents were that big anyways, I figured filling them is the only answer. Have managed other small weld jobs and the roof lining has to come out one day as am making up a custom rig to support the 15" lcd monitor going in where the ceiling courtesy lamp usually sits. Have another roof lining sitting on top of my mates spa pool, keeping flat.

It's just so damn cold and miserable over here that progress has hit new levels of nothingness!

Is lead really bad for your health? How would you use it if you did happen to have some?!

To be honest i have never used lead, i think they stop using it in the late 80's however iam sure you can still purchase it. As far as using it goes i was told that in the olding days eg: welding a new quarter pannel, they would smear it on over the there wleds, then file finish without having to use bog. Iam not sure how its mixed and used sorry. I assumed it would be similar to bog but youll have to block the roof rack hole up so it doesnt go everywhere on your interior. Good luck with it if you do use it, and use a good breathing mask, youll know about it if you inhale to much lead.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

lead causes that thurr mad hatters disease i do believe. only manipulated by heat in it's raw form. a pack of fishing sinkers, some heat (alot) and an old pan would do the job. best off done outdoors though, as mentioned not so healthy. would still rust though... what bout quick steel ? much healthier, same outcome.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I used a neodinium magnet out of a hard disk.. stuck it on the inside of the roof.. (just dropped the lining down on that area) and then migged it from the outside on really low.. came out fine and is as good as the surrounding metal.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Just a few extra things i got done tonight. I finished off the rear bar and primed it, re-primed the bonnet and re-primed the front bar.

Heres where u left off the other night with the dual exhause rear bar, heres the fibre glass sanded back:

After applying some body fill and sanding it back heres what you should expect:

And finally after priming it heres what the finished product looks like:

Heres just a random shot of the 2 bumper bars and bonnet that i primed up tonight:

I havent got to much body and pannel work to go, just the 2 sills to sand and prime. Itll be good to move this topic off pannel and paint and into the mechanical, electrical and interior side of things. Not much longer thow. Thanks again.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

man, once again, fantastic work there on that. looks brilliant

this is definitely shaping up to be one of the most informative threads on FM i think :lol:

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Great work, I almost get excited when I see there's new posts in this thread.

Always an interesting read.

Will be watching till the end.

Regards,

Michael.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

itlookslikeaxr6 wrote:
Great work, I almost get excited when I see there's new posts in this thread.

Always an interesting read.

Will be watching till the end.

Regards,

Michael.

+1

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

frankieh wrote:
I used a neodinium magnet out of a hard disk.. stuck it on the inside of the roof.. (just dropped the lining down on that area) and then migged it from the outside on really low.. came out fine and is as good as the surrounding metal.
Now that really is a geek mod!!!

As for the build here Smithy, keep it up. I am surfing the net looking for some side skirts as we speak. Thanks for rekindling that old fibreglass mat flame....!

Really needing a nudge in the right direction on the sills myself... I hate the way the damn rubber bits on the EF's push into holes on the sill and.... And... And... Rust! Make sure to take heaps of photo's and provide a worth while commentary.

And make sure to do it right, as you know a few people are copying closely....

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Its coming along nicely Smithy, I like the job you have done on the scorcher bar.

You are doing a fantastic job with documenting all of your work, Its good to see that someone is so dedicated to sharing his work. I would vote that most of this thread should be published in the techdocs section.

cheers

Josh

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

hey smith that a pretty cool way to do the 2nd exhuast

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:22 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Very pro - nice work there !

I always thought working with fibreglass was more difficult than plastic *shrugs*. Maybe you've just made it look easier than it really is:)

Vic Cruises & Events

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 34  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 34  Next