Fordmods Logo

The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front 

Page 12 of 34 [ 505 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 34  Next

Post subject: Re: The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

WOW, thanks for the comments guys. Iv got the bumper bars and pannels at home today (the body will be towed home tomorrow), I had to take this quick shot of the front bar in the sun so you can get a quick glimpse of the perals in it. Enjoy and thanks for all the support. More updates to come on the way.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

smithy what time are u taking it home and by which route? can pm if don't want to say on the fourm

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

That looks tops mate, cant wait to see it together.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BF xr6, EB

SA, Australia

I've been following this build for a while and I've got to say it's one of the best build threads I've read. I love the colour you've chosen and can't wait to see the end result. Great work, well done.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
67RCE wrote:
Thats easy, just follow the guys who have already done it. edfairmont4.0 has a BF DOHC 4L in his EB1 Ghia.... DIY'ed except for removing security from the BF ECU

Do you seriously think this s**t is easy!

yeah it is that easy, jump on boosted check his thread

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

holy wow, what an awesome colour!!!

dude, this is turning into one of the best builds ive seen for a long, long time. well done!

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Hi people. Did a little work to the car this sarv, i started to fit the engine and gear box. All i can say is its one hell of a tight squeeze but i got it in there. I need to buy some new EB mounts as the ones i already have are a bit buggered and the BA ones dont line up. So Iv got the engine and box suspended in the bay until i can get the mounts. Heres some progress shots of this sarv. Also once the engine and thats in ill begin work on the dash and wiring so ill have to make a decent write up about it. Any ways heres todays progress:

Heres a shot of the car with the EL xr lights in it and the after noon sun hitting the paint work:

Heres my office:

And heres the engine in:

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

And is that on the stock ED engine mounts? I think I missed something here... Hmmmmm... Apparently what you're doing is "easy" and I should just piss off and look at something or other on BOOSTEDFALCON.NET or something instead as those guys apparently have done it all before (and it probably only took them 10 days for a complete rebuild with a $10,000 crank or something too.... Sigh...)

But I ain't bothering.

I'm too much of a fan of what you're doing here to bother. Although there is ONE ENGINE SWAP in my mechanical CV, I still need s**t explained to me very carefully............

I like the processes you're going through and trial and error nature of your door implants was top work. Don't let my criticism of your crap gramma / spellink put you off mate! Keep those fingers typing.

Nice looking car already huh... Is that a BA dash and instrument cluster you have sitting on the shelf unit..? Why is the only tool in the photo a HAMMER?!!!

Now, there was this guy in Queenstown who made replica classic cars out of stainless and aluminum and just sat there for months on end hammering sheets of various shiny stuff into the exact body shape of whatever he was currently working on. But yours is already painted....

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:30 am 
Fordmods Junkie

95EFXR8 wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
67RCE wrote:
Thats easy, just follow the guys who have already done it. edfairmont4.0 has a BF DOHC 4L in his EB1 Ghia.... DIY'ed except for removing security from the BF ECU

Do you seriously think this s**t is easy!

yeah it is that easy, jump on boosted check his thread

I know the level of effort it takes to put an engine into a model car it was not made for, I installed a AU VCT engine in my NF fairlane and converted it to a T5 at the same time.

Its not that hard but its not that easy either, if it was and could be done entirely by your self over a weekend everyman and his dog would have done it by now.

Remember the BA box is not the same length as the E Series box's so modification needs to be done to the tail shaft. And depending on witch way you go about it this can involve cutting a section out of the drive shaft, machining it out for a weld prep, and welding it back up. Not to mention having it balanced afterwords.

Using the BA box also means the hole in the tunnel for the shifter to come through the floor is in the wrong spot. Witch involves cutting it further out towards the back of the car and welding up a piece of sheet metal to cover the area that is no longer needed.

Then there is a matter of the K frame, witch is easier done on a boxcar than a EF or EL. I have modded my K Frame on my fairlane for my engine conversion myself and considering i am a tradesman there still was a level of difficulty there and would not say it was easy compared to the type of K frame that smithy has done here in this thread.

There is also bonnet clearance issues to be dealt with witch is easy, but when adding all these jobs up together and giving the whole conversion a rating of being easy or hard, I would not be saying its easy.

Im sorry but I do not class any of that as easy and I am sure people will back me up in saying it is not easy. It may not be hard but it sure aint easy either.

There is a lot of trial and error when it comes to these types of conversions especially when not many people have done it before and the ones that have done it dont give you ALL the information you need to do it. So you have to fill the blanks in yourself witch takes time and is not always EASY.

Maybe you should look at my thread before you join fordmods, make 8 posts over the 4 weeks you have been here and continue on like your long time member and know what i have done.

Or better still maybe you should attempt a similar project before you class it as EASY.

Last edited by XR-Lane on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:39 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Sorry smithy, dont know who they will let in here pfffft.

Anyway its good to see you are getting straight into the mechanical side of things, I thought you might have left it for a little longer, but hey I know I would not be able to wait either :wink: .

Keep going mate its looking brilliant !

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

wow.... this is totally horn...

that paint looks awesome... you are going to have one seriously unique car.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thanks for your comments guys. Its much appreciated.

Well I just got the doors, boot lid, boot garnish and a few bits of plastics painted tonight, The final finish looks really mint and Iam really pleased with it. Iv been really bussy the past few weeks collecting bits and pieces of ebay and the trading post. So far iv got my interior which will be sorted out shortly, Iv got my front bar looking sweet (view pics), Got someside skirts on there way, BA HIM unit, new engine mounts and a few other various parts. Iv been thinking of adding EB GT wheel arch falres on. I carnt find any EL GT flares for the front but I reackon I could custum some after market EB ones on to the front. I'v picked up a 2nd hand front EB GT front flare for free and will do a trial fit soon, Ill be sure to let yous know how it went. Any ways, Iv got a lot to do over the next few weeks so keep an eye out.

Heres my front bar, Iv polised up the ford badge and re taped it back on and iv purchased some brand new EF-XH moulds, I was a bit iffy about the moulds but I think they suit it, Ill be adding the tickford lip one day when i come across one:

Heres just a few shots of what was painted tonight, I decided to paint the boot garnish, I really hope it doesnt look like a VN from the back but Iam thinking of adding some clear eb tail lights. If the clear lights and a painted garnish dont look good ill just put the factory style back on:

Heres the boot lid, very happy with how straight it came up:

And heres a close up of the doors:

So thats it for the painting side for now, got a lot to do over the next few weeks, be sure to update all my progress, thanks

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6, EA Brock Falcon

VIC, Australia

i cant wait to see the car all in one peice is going to look fantastic

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Awesome mate, was wondering if you had done anything else to it as of late :)

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

hats off to ya, looking awesome.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 34  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 34  Next