Fordmods Logo

The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front 

Page 21 of 34 [ 505 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 34  Next

Post subject: Re: The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

frankieh wrote:
If he has documented everything and made appropriate measurable countermeasures to the bits he chopped out, he should be able to get a engineer to sign off on it without to much issue and a wad of cash....

That is what our build threads are for :lol: We keep everything that we have done to our cars documented including pics. Well some of us do, I would have to say except for a handful of others smithy has to be one of the members we have that goes into the most detail of his mods in his posts.

All he has to do is refer back to this thread if he needs any documentation for engineering purposes.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Then he should be recording much more info along the way... detail of bracing material used (thickness, density etc).. weld points etc etc... that is the sort of stuff they can use to evaluate if the new set up can manage the same structural rigidity as the original method.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Yeah good point, I know I posted up thickness of material etc etc when I modded my K frame, But at the end of the day its not like my car looks modded with 2 different model cars blended together.

My K frame has not been engineered and It will never be brought up as the only time I would ever have to get it looked at if for some reason a cop defects my car, witch is unlikely because I would have to be a wanker on the road for that to happen.

I have been driving for 10 years, witch is not nearly as may years as your self Frank. But I have never needed any of my cars inspected before rego etc. Its just an advantage of registering a car in SA, most defects are taken off by going to the local cop shop and the cops normally just look to see if the reason for the defect has been corrected.

Thats not saying its not going to be that way forever, but it is nice while it still lasts :)

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

This whole issue on the K frame mod may be illegal but unless the said police officer has done this conversion or knows EA to EL fords won't even noticed the modification (unless it is done that badly)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

true.. but the insurance investigator, and the guys at the police pits (at least here in WA) know as much about fords and commonwhores as we do.... I know because I just took my "repairable writeoff" over the pits and re-registered it.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Froudey wrote:
This whole issue on the K frame mod may be illegal but unless the said police officer has done this conversion or knows EA to EL fords won't even noticed the modification (unless it is done that badly)

same could be said about the parcel shelf.
all i'm saying is, why is everyone sooking about the parcel shelf and making a big deal out of it when in reality, there are many other things done to the car that would be more questionable.

Let the guy build the car. discussion on parcel shelfs is s**t.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
Froudey wrote:

same could be said about the parcel shelf.
all i'm saying is, why is everyone sooking about the parcel shelf and making a big deal out of it when in reality, there are many other things done to the car that would be more questionable.

Let the guy build the car. discussion on parcel shelfs is s**t.

True, I agree that all the things that smithy is doing and down, will require an eng..neer cert anyway so why whinge about the parcel shelf, the whole car will be gone over so yeah.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Agree, I only mentioned it because he has done such a good job on the rest that it looks almost factory and won't get noticed by most cops... The rear shelf however, would get noticed by all cops.

anyway, enough on the shelf... and more photos please. :-)

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Agree, I only mentioned it because he has done such a good job on the rest that it looks almost factory and won't get noticed by most cops... The rear shelf however, would get noticed by all cops.

anyway, enough on the shelf... and more photos please. :-)

I wasn't going to comment. But I agree with ya frankieh,,, If it was me i would of made a large ring or something welded ontop the bottom of the hole...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

Wow did i miss something, nahh sorry peoples iv been away from the computer for a little while now. I take into all considerations and i have contemplated many times what i would do if i couldnt get my car on the road but iam not to worried. If it doesnt somehow pass then ill be putting it on the back of the car trailer and taken it to a few national car shows while iam on holidays, towing to the drags once every now and then for a quick squirt down the quarter and if it does pass inspection then thats a mega bonus. Having the rad support done at a pannel shop may get me off the hook for that, as for the parcel shelf iv only cut away prob 2-3 inchs around the 8 inch hole, also when i do go for an inspection ill remove the sub box out by unbolting it, and if it passes (or not) then i wack it back in. My whole intentions on this car was to show you guys what is possible, and a few concept ideas. Like i said no real loss for me if it didnt pass: car=$300, paint and pannel= $1800, engine/dash/gear box/ect=$1500, seats and trims=$150, BA rims=$200, EL rad/EL xr bar/Fibre glass bonnet/gaurds/lights and indicators=$1100ish. So if it doesnt work out iv only spent 5K and in my opinion not bad for a show car but keeping in mind i still have a little more spendings to do. But all comments and ideas are mostly apprectiated but keep in mind i live in a crappy isolated town in Queensland, maybe i might be lucky and just pass the inspection and rego... who knows. But no loss if i dont as id be lost with out working on it. Think of it as a expensive hobby :D

Now a serious question
maybe i should ask this question in the forced induction page??? if i should please let me know and ill start a thread in there...

Iv been doing a hell of a lot of research on turbos and superchargers and i really wanna look at using some forced induction. Heres what info iv gathered, with a turbo i could buy a complete 2nd hand BA xr6 turbo kit for roughly $800-$2000, or new such as a snort kit for $3000. Eazy to find genuine or non gen turbo parts. Superchargers on the other hand are hard to find 2nd hand, Raptor chargers seem to be the cheapest, great power gains and eaziest to install (Keep in mind this is just my opinion) Now Iam thinking outside the square this time, my question to you guys is... "Would it be eazy or what would i have to do, to TURBO AND SUPERCHARGE my car????" Iam thinking of using a stock BA turbo kit running on stock boost and a Raptor running on 10-12psi. Id be using crow cams, refresh the heads and look into re-ringing the pistons, WILL THIS WORK??? What troubles will i run into??? Thanks guys for all comments and concerns and sorry i havent been able to respond to most posts but ill try and answer as many questions as i can tonight. Thanks again guys.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

so you mean a super-turbo? just saw some vid clips on you-tube recently about them. infact i think it was nissan that had a super-turbo production car.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Turbo and a supercharger... this just got more epic :D

LOVE THIS BUILD

Regards.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I have never heard of using a turbo and a supercharger in the same setup before. If you want more power I would have thought a Twin turbo might be a better way to go about it.

Interesting idea :)

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
I have never heard of using a turbo and a supercharger in the same setup before. If you want more power I would have thought a Twin turbo might be a better way to go about it.

Interesting idea :)

Hey XR-Lane yeah Iv done my homework on twin turbo set ups... however iam not after a high performance quarter mile chewing monster car, but more of a show off car which has a lot of shine and looks under the bonnet, a car that shows whats possible and different styles of set ups. All iam wanting to know is, is it possible? And what mods will i need to do such as upgrading the t5 clutch ect ect. Would i need to upgrade the con rods? I reackon it could be done for under 6.5k with as much DIY also excluding dyno times, but just seeing if any one can shead any light on this subject.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Did you get the lights?

Sort by  
 Page 21 of 34  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 34  Next