Fordmods Logo

The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front 

Page 25 of 34 [ 505 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 34  Next

Post subject: Re: The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:05 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i guess it all depends on how thick the spacer will be?
i guess aslong as there is enough thread in the spacer for the log to bolt to withought going to far away from the head... maybe 12-15mm?? you might be lucky...??? :)

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Great progress man. Some of the earlier E series manifolds had a plastic heat spacer between them & the head that was somewhere between 5 - 10mm thick, i imagine if you didn't make your spacer much thicker than 10mm you should be ok.

I'm thinking that due to when you come on boost, you will have pressure in the manifold that will help blow the fuel towards the intake valve & have less chance of too much hitting the manifold runner & puddling up.

Keep up the good work man, can't wait to see this finished & running. What a beast!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

Iv been comparing the BA gaket on the ED log to get an idea of where all the bolt holes should be. The worst allignement is the end cylinder (as showen in the photo) where ill need 2 ears welded on. Iam thinking of taking the manifold to a local engineer and getting them to weld up all the old bolt holes and adding 2 ears on the end. To help cut cost ill re-drill the holes and grind up the welds to neaten things up. Comparing the other holes with the BA gasket they are only out by a few mm, Iam gonna see if i can organise a booking for this to be done on monday. Thanks for all the advice and help guys. Ill let you's know what happens.

Cheers.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

with your injector placement ; if you run an adaptor i'd run nothing less than a 10mm ally plate
if you go this route, grab a die grinder and clear a path from the injector into the head so the inj is not spraying against your plate - that will fix that problem.
yes your injectors won't be spraying on the backside of your valves ; but ; if you look at some of the theory with injector placement to actually aid atomisation they should be miles away from the back of the valve - i remember seeing some work done by a lad with an XE years ago - his injectors were at the top of trumpets which were an equal length to the head to aid torque ect.
IIRC the V8 supercars do something similar.
in short i don't think you will have much of an issue there.

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Not sure on BA Engine in E series but with the std 4.0L I believe there is not enough space between the fuel rail from an EB or EF/EL and the strut tower, you may need to turn the blower 90 deg. Eaton hve no oil sump and are all positional. PM if you want for more info.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Sorry smithy;

But I do need to ask you why you even need the log manifold? If you have a look at this pic you will see a m112 setup on a mustang.

You will see the huge opening at the bottom of the m112 is bolted straight over the intake of the V8.

Why dont you keep the BBM on and use the m112 in place of the plenum? you will need a adapter spacer, but this is the best way I can see this working.

I dont really picture how you will use the log. you would need the throttle body on the m112, and then fabricate a alloy funnel for the bottom of the m112, witch would be then piped to the the log. This seems like a huge task, considering you are talking about modifying the flange on the log manifold. Not to mention you have to make brackets up for it this way, if you bolt it up to the bottom half of the bbm no mounting problems what so ever :wink:

Sorry if I have been a bit abrupt, but I would hate to see you start stuffing around with the log if does not work out.

Josh

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

josh makes a good point there.
a simple plate welded onto your BBM manifold then surfaced ; mount the blower straight to it - easy

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

psyolent wrote:
josh makes a good point there.
a simple plate welded onto your BBM manifold then surfaced ; mount the blower straight to it - easy

I would make a bolt on one, but your way would work too :P

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

just out of curiousty with the log amnifold if you turn it up side down does it change anyhting in relation to the holes?

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR6

QLD, Australia

aWESOME build man.. just looking at previous pics with the blower- you could mount it vertically between the intake ports and strut tower by relocating solid water line and maybe moving a/c down a fraction and you would have the throttle body very close to where the original bbm one was but facing directly up, would make plumbing a little easier if it fit (another bonnet mod, but would look sick and ask the question whats under that bonnet!). all is needed is an alloy plenum/runner of some sort to go from blower output to intake ports and being parellel to one another should be a little easier than having bends, etc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

!!KEEP FORD IN AUSTRALIA!!

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Or look at what Snort Performance are doing, they've messed with M112's before, might give you a few more options to work with.
however, i'd say working with a BBM as a base would be ideal.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Sorry smithy;

But I do need to ask you why you even need the log manifold? If you have a look at this pic you will see a m112 setup on a mustang.

You will see the huge opening at the bottom of the m112 is bolted straight over the intake of the V8.

Why dont you keep the BBM on and use the m112 in place of the plenum? you will need a adapter spacer, but this is the best way I can see this working.

I dont really picture how you will use the log. you would need the throttle body on the m112, and then fabricate a alloy funnel for the bottom of the m112, witch would be then piped to the the log. This seems like a huge task, considering you are talking about modifying the flange on the log manifold. Not to mention you have to make brackets up for it this way, if you bolt it up to the bottom half of the bbm no mounting problems what so ever :wink:

Sorry if I have been a bit abrupt, but I would hate to see you start stuffing around with the log if does not work out.

Josh

You might be right Josh, Iam new to the world of forced induction, never had the chance to work on turboing or charging a car. So you reackon keep the bottom of the BBM, make a spacer that bolts to that and the charger (is that right?) but my question is where do i mount the throttle body? Does it mount on the charger itself with the help of a spacer??? Cheers mate.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

smithykicks85 wrote:
You might be right Josh, Iam new to the world of forced induction, never had the chance to work on turboing or charging a car. So you reackon keep the bottom of the BBM, make a spacer that bolts to that and the charger (is that right?) but my question is where do i mount the throttle body? Does it mount on the charger itself with the help of a spacer??? Cheers mate.

I am no expert either mate :wink:

Ill use this same pic again, you can see the intake piping. thats where your throttle body will need to go.

This port on the side here, the throttle body will be basically in the same spot as with the plenum on.

This is the bottom where the air exits the charger and into your manifold. You will need to adapt this to the bottom half of your BBM. I know by looking at the pics that the m112 is going to be wider than the BBM. So making up an adapter that fits the BBM then tapers up to the width of the charger.

The other way is a piece of 10mm alloy cut to suit both BBM and charger. have it welded to the BBM. machine it flat on the mill. while in the mill drill and tap holes for the m112.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Iv got the top half off now, ill take it to the fabricators this week once the charger arrives and get them to make up an adaptor which bolts both together, or weld one side to the bottom of the BBM like you mentioned Josh. Iam going to take the bottom BBM into work tomorrow and attempt to polish it up, while I have it apart whats the best way to clean the inside? Should I use degreaser or kero? or can i use a wire wheel to get in and clean the pipes? Thanks fellas.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Now that you have opened it you will need to bolt the bottom half back on with 2 bolts or what ever. and sit the charger on it so you can line up where it needs to sit on there so the pulley is inline with the rest of belt setup. take it into an engineering firm and they will most likely ask you where you want it to sit anyway.

Anything is possible, but you will need the M112 before you can go and get anything done. there is a thinner section between the 2 sets of runners, you will need to make sure you get the charger forcing air to all the runners. so you may need the the adapter made out out of a large alloy block machined to suit the bottom and then tapered out to suit the charger base. So I would go to a metal machine shop rather than a fabricator for this one mate.

Also might be best to remove the butterflys out of the bbm, XR6T's dont have the runners in them.

Sort by  
 Page 25 of 34  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 34  Next