Fordmods Logo

The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front 

Page 4 of 34 [ 505 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next

Post subject: Re: The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

YES, my fibre glass bonnet arrived today. I was really worried and didnt know what to expect with the quality, but every dollar worth it. Its thick and not flimsy, very strong but also very light. the bonnet lines up perfect on the EB, and i didnt have to change the bonnet hindges. I highly recommend this product to anyone wanting to spice there EF/L up. You can find them on ebay.

Any ways i only stayed back for a min today to trial fit the bonnet, dont mind the sticky tape on it as i was to excited to remove it. ill sand it back and prime it up on the weekend and get a better photo of it for yous. Well heres 2 pics of it and it looks way better in the flesh. O also tones of room under the hood with the buldge there :)

Attachment:
07052009307.jpg

Attachment:
07052009308.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

very nice

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thanks mitch, hey iam also positive that they make the Monty and Lane Bonnets with the buldge in it. Also i got the BA XR dash today, havent upwrapped it as of yet... iam dieing to bolt it in but i think ill try and wait till its painted.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yes well i know u when i see u around town

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Bonnet look great smithy. Really good to hear its working out and your happy with it after spending that arm and a leg :lol:

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF XR6 Ute

NSW, Australia

awesome work here mate!

BF XR6 Ute,ED XR6 Manual (SOLD),XD 4V 351 toploader 9in

Zoom and Extreme magazines Production Editor

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

brilliant work here matey. good to see someone really pushing the envelope a bit more than normal! :D

didnt realise you were in mackay either, mihgt have to pop down once its done and have a good gander in person

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Well i got a fair bit done this week, i had a big night last night and a big one this morning working on the car. At this point it feels that iam just chasing my own tail, with never ending priming, preping and sanding. I finally got the roof primed up, radiator suppot and the bonnet. I started sanding the bonnet down this morning and trying to get it dead straight. If anyone is interested in buying a fibre glass bonnet or any panel in this case, ill tell you how to get it looking straight as a gun barrel. Start by sanding down the bonnet with 80 grit sandpaper on a big board, you wanna try and cover as much area as you can with your sanding stroke. After knocking the top off buzz it down with some 380 on a disc. Clean it down with prepsol and applay a thick coat of prime. Make sure the bonnet is on a straight stand and apply even coats, also give each coat 10-20 mins to become tacky, this will eliminate any runs in your work if you apply to much to fast. Once dry add a guide coat on your pannel (spray a mist on black paint on your work), block it down with 80 again, youll see all your low spots in your pannel, apply a 2pac bog or any filler which id designed for applying in prime and paint. block the repairs down. Apply another guide coat on and block it down with 180 a large block. You can choose to feather it again with 380 on a orby (up 2 u). Finaaly apply 4 even coats on the bonnet again. Watch for runs and give yourself plenty of time for the previour coat to go tacky. Once down use a light 180 grit sandpaper and block it down (apply a guide coat each time you take the top off the pannel). After blocking it with 180, work your way up to 380-500 sand paper, Also orby down the final job to feather it out with something around 500. Its ready for paint, also if your painting it yourself, use a product called sacn sealer, its help fill in any small scrachers in your work, also its a very sticky material and will help hold the paint on your pannel for a very long time.

Heres some progess shots of what i did last night and this morning, Iv got a long way to go, still got the quarter pannels to straighten out and prime up and the rear bar to trial and straighten out when it gets here o also the front bar to do some minor repair work and prime up and the other 3 doors to custom up to allow au-bf trims fit, but its getten there.

Heres underneath the bonnet, looks fantastic. If the BA 6 still touches itll be ezy as to cut a small section of the reinforcment out and repair it, and it wouldnt be noticable. Also whats great is the detail of underneath the bonnet making it look like a factory part:

This is what sex would look like if it was a car, enjoy:

Drivers side shot:

And the passenger side shot, this was this morning while i was doing a trial fit with the front bar, gaurds, bonnet and doors, also if you are planning on builing a car from pretty much scap do as many trial fits as you can, that way you can make a lot of ezy changes and mods before its painted:

I carnt wait to see what the scorcher bar will look like on the back of this thing, it shouldnt be to far off:

Im really happy with the BA buldge apperace. I was a bit worried that it may make the car a bit over board looking, but i reackon it suits it, this is what ford should have brought out in the 90's on there e-series:

Also heres the roof after it was repaired, DP40'd and primed:

and another bonnet shot, this way when it was dry this morning:

One more shot carnt hurt:

And the radiator support copt it with some prime as well:

Heres what it looks with the battery case gone, aslo youll notice those tabs were taken off, the ones that hold the box car headlights in. Later on when i turbo my ride ill probably have to put a hole where the battery was and run the intercooler pipe there, same with the other side:

And finally some shots of the BA dash which was kindly supplied by FTG. looks fantastic:

*O yeah and nicco when my car is on the road and your in town come check it out, also i do the odd trip here and there up to Townsville (bit of family up there) iam hoping to do a trip up in the car end of this year, ill give you a yell if you wanna see it in the flesh.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

can't wait til you have completed this looks like it will be a monster as such

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Froudey wrote:
i was thinking sleeper

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Fairmont

WA, Australia

mitchell g wrote:
Froudey wrote:
i was thinking sleeper

Yeah, cos it's pretty stealth with EL XR front end, box car rear and a BA bulge.....

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

to a holden driver it all the same

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Holden driver would only see the boxcar back end...... so yeah.. .a sleeper. :-)

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Love all the shots of the car, its really coming together.

Unkown source wrote:
Children are ment to be seen not heard

Mitch you really need to not comment unless its words of encouragement or useful advice.
You may just be trying to widen your knowledge on cars but just think hard about what you say before you say it.

Back OT, the bonnet looks shmicko and EL front is mean as.

Whats the car look like from the back and along the side?
Have you got the dash all sorted so you know what to do to the XR one to fit it in?
How are those doors coming along, slowly but surly?

Good luck with it all, keep up the good work,

Regards,

Michael.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thanks Michael, yeah iam wanting to jump in and give it a go at installing this dash, but i think it would be best to wait till its painted and brought back home (saves it getting damaged or over-spray on it). As for the back iam waiting on the scorcher rear bar, ill post some pics up of the back asap when it arrives, as for the side ill get some better shots for you if you want, ill try and hunt down some genuine ef/l tickford sideskirts, but it wont be for a while, iam broke as at the moment. As for the doors i still got 3 to go, but iam going to focus on knocking them over this week. Still got the bonnet to finish up on, but iam guessing the car should be ready for a spray in about 3 weeks maybe 2 if i can push it. Ill have to get a paint sampel made up of it to and take a pic of it, you guys will love it. Any way thanks for the comments and support. Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 34  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next