Fordmods Logo

The Terrorist now with 5.8 EFI goodness 

Page 52 of 62 [ 917 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next

Post subject: Re: The Terrorist now with 5.8 EFI goodness
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well, thanks to the guys at Crescent all leaks have now been fixed, but good ol mother nature has stepped in to prevent the madness that is hill climbing this weekend.

I recieved a phone call this morning stating that the roads in and around Bathurst presented issues with access, so both rounds have been cancelled, and will be re run later in the year.

Bugger, as i was all ready to go. Oh well, i may just get the custom sump fitted before the next round.

Cheers
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:20 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Those aquajets may just come in handy now huh? :D

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Now that is done I can steal the parts at jay's house? :roll:

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

One Drone wrote:
Now that is done I can steal the parts at jay's house? :roll:

NO.

I will organise in the not to distant future to collect them.

Brett

Member#1131

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
Kempsey 21.jpg
OK guys and girls,
Bit of an update.

On the weekend i cruised up to Mt Cooperabung for round 2 of the NSW hillclimb championship.
Getting up early Saturday morning and with a fresh 91 tune on bourd she cruised quite comfortably to Bulledella for the first fuel stop. Here it took on 60l and had achieved only 290k's for that tank.

About an hour later it seemed to be off song as it struggled to pull its own weight up some hills with the cruise set at 110( about 2100rpm). No worries as it doesnt seem to make any real torque below 3500 so i wasnt overly worried. It also seemed a little louder than before.

Needless to say i soldiered on to Mt Cooperabung and arrive just on Midday for the drivers briefing for Practice. During practice at times she was a little reluctant to start, and i had a major oil leak again.
After the first run the oil cap had blown clean off and i was shattered. Fortunately i had a spare, but it is a vented type. I fitted this and had a second run. A 2 second improvement from a 36 to a 34 but still with oil leaking problems. This turned out to be a combination of the PCV being blown out and the new vented oil cap. So as to not annoy the organisers i called it quites and headed into Port Macquarie for repairs and some much needed rest.

After draing the tank of the remaining 91 and putting 50l of Caltex's finest E-flex in, a quick tune change and i thought i was good to go.
I then attempted to start the big girl and she was real reluctant to start. A quick inspection revealed that no5 Plug lead was off, and judging by its performance on the way up, hade been like that for a while.

Problem fixed and she fired straight up, but still seemed a little loud.

Sam arrived very late in the evening as he had another event in Sydney and we then got some sleep and headed off early in the morning in search of food and some final prep for the silver car.

All sorted and on the road for a 30min run out to Mt Cooperabung. Stop for food and the Terrorist was a smoking mess. The PCV had come out and was spraying oil all over the headers. A quick look and she was sorted, by changing the 90 deg fitting to a straight fitting it stayed in and caused not further problems.

Arrive at the track, pass the drivers briefing and it was time to play.

First run on a very wet and greasy track for a 36. I was .003 faster than Sam ( for the first time ever) and pretty happy. for the next run the track had dried a lot and i went 3 seconds quicker for a 33, and was nearly a full second faster than Sam. Wow, was i over the moon.

But with all highs come some lows, as i decided to sit out run 3, and Sam came back with a 32, and was half a second faster than me. No probs i will do run four. So a quick adjustment of the tyre pressures and it seemed to hookup way better.

It was on. I then had a big go. Flat through the chicane, and late braking for the Lefthand hairpin, she step out a little but nothing i couldnt deal with. Then on the last corner their is a little bump that has claimed many cars over the years and i managed to find it, at full song in 2nd gear. The back stepped out and all i saw was the tyre wall. A very tense 3-5 seconds later and several tail end tank slaps later and i crossed the finish line at 45 deg before managing to gather it up. Unfortunately this was a 34, and Sam improved a little more and managed to end up with a .9 better time than me for the day. It took me about an hour to recover from than loose and to de stress before i could do anything to assist in the pack up.

Some points to note. Since Canberra where i was dead last in a feild of 59, and beaten by a junior in a 1.6 Laser, i have changed the wheels and tyres, added a little more horsepower and had a big fiddle with the front suspension. I have also removed my Sub box and amps, which resulted in the rear coming up 4 odd inches. A change of rear springs and she is so much nicer, and sits level. As a result i finished the 2nd round in 41st place outright( from a feild of 53) and have moved into 3rd in the championship, behind Sam in second.,

To be continued!!!!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Member#1131

Last edited by TerroristGHIA on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So that was the day of racing, but the tale continues, as there was still the return Journey. After the first refuel we again pulled in at The Rock, Just past Newcastle for fuel and food. I was noticing how loud the exhaust had gotten, and was starting to get some hot feet. About the twin servo's near Ourimbah the heat in the cabin had become unbearable and i pulled in. Sam also did a quick rear tyre change as his rears were a little slippery in the greasy F3 conditions. At this time i lifted the Terrorist to find the Left Bank Vacusump valve had expired, and was no longer a 1 way valve. It was instead blowing exhaust into the covers instead of sucking fumes out. This was where my performance had gone, and also explained the pressure capable of blowing the oil cap clean off. Some lateral thinking by both Sam and myself and a sulotion was devised to get it home. Back on the road and she was quieter and seemed ok, until the end of the F3 and my solution had expired. I limped it home and arrived at 0100hrs absolutley shagged. The problem will be looked into later in the week.

Until then, Head over to Street fords for Sams coverage of the weekend by using the link below. You will find some better pics than i have provided.

http://www.streetfords.com.au/forum/vie ... 123#p39123

Cheers and thanks for reading.
Brett

Member#1131

Last edited by TerroristGHIA on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

Howdy folks. Here are some shots from the day (static by me, and actions shots kindly provided by the hosts, http://www.kscc.org.au/)

Attachment:
fIMG_4142es.JPG

Attachment:
DSCF7526es.JPG

Attachment:
DSCF7527es.JPG

Attachment:
DSCF7346es.JPG

Attachment:
DSCF7347es.JPG

And a few more of my silver car here if you'd like to see them;
http://www.streetfords.com.au/forum/vie ... 127#p39127

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice work Brett! Sounds like you're having loads of fun! Maybe something I need to get the LTD involved in! :mrgreen:

Why did you switch to 91RON ?

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks Sam, That last shot, is the start of the Big Lose, and involved a Tank Slap to the finish line.

Brett

Member#1131

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Nice work Brett! Sounds like you're having loads of fun! Maybe something I need to get the LTD involved in! :mrgreen:

'Cause you can't get E-Flex or E85 north of Hamilton (Newcastle) and it was eaiser to swap fuels with jerrys than to tow a road car to compete in the road reg class (which would just be wrong we feel).

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Waggin, The switch to 91 was purely on the ability to get the fuel outside of Sydney. It is damn near impossible to get E85 past Newcastle, and with events scheduled for Grafton, Tamworth and Bathurst, they are beyond my ability to get there, even with 3 25l Jerries, so a sacrifice was made to ensure i was able to attend the events. On a side note, she still made 233rwkw on 91, so it isnt that gutless, but lacks a lot of low and midrange torque due to the cam setup. This should change by Bathurst and i should have much better bottom end punch.

Cheers
Brett

Member#1131

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Waggin, The switch to 91 was purely on the ability to get the fuel outside of Sydney. It is damn near impossible to get E85 past Newcastle, and with events scheduled for Grafton, Tamworth and Bathurst, they are beyond my ability to get there, even with 3 25l Jerries, so a sacrifice was made to ensure i was able to attend the events. On a side note, she still made 233rwkw on 91, so it isnt that gutless, but lacks a lot of low and midrange torque due to the cam setup. This should change by Bathurst and i should have much better bottom end punch.

Cheers
Brett

Ah! But why not 98RON? How much does it make on E85 anyway?

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

sam12h wrote:
Waggin wrote:

'Cause you can't get E-Flex or E85 north of Hamilton (Newcastle) and it was eaiser to swap fuels with jerrys than to tow a road car to compete in the road reg class (which would just be wrong we feel).

Streetfords should buy a truck so you can transport both your cars together! Do it wrong, but do it properly ;)

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
sam12h wrote:
Waggin wrote:

Streetfords should buy a truck so you can transport both your cars together! Do it wrong, but do it properly ;)

Street Fords aren't even paying my entry fees, so I hardly think so.

Ps, the heads you sold me did a nice job of helping me stay in front of Mando :P

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
TerroristGHIA wrote:

Cheers
Brett

Ah! But why not 98RON? How much does it make on E85 anyway?

Why pay lots of money for fuel just to get to where i am going, put cheap stuff in and use the savings for other stuff.

As for how much she makes on E85, i am not saying just yet. Stay tuned

Brett

Member#1131

Sort by  
 Page 52 of 62  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next