Fordmods Logo

The Ute.Going slowly but any progress is good! 

Page 18 of 26 [ 379 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next

Post subject: Re: The Ute. Time for the 5.0.
Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hmm, yes, I had forgotten about that :D :D :D

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well well well its getting closer and closer to kick off!
The C4 is sitting here ready to go and I have been doing a little bit of shopping on ebay.

Scored a set of extractors for EFI Windsor into XF setup for the drivers side starter as per the C4 for the huge sum of $21.50+postage. They are a fairly ordinary set but will be enough to get it setup and up and running. I will be looking at a decent set of pacies or something in the future. Cant do everything at once or I will get bored with it later on!

The 3.45 LSD fell through due to the guy that had it stuffing me around and then decided to keep it. Not happy but these things happen. Had to work on a different battle plan.

Just won a EF wagon diff for $46.55! Just need to run up to Gosford and pick it up. For that kind of money I really cant be stuffed modding the sedan diff to suit.
I reckon coming from a GLi auto it will be a 3.08 diff. Will run it for a bit and try it and see whats its like both on the highway and around town before deciding on a ratio change. The C4 has a pretty good set of ratios so it might well be good enough , just need to wait and see.
My driving style will more then likely see the untimely death of a LSD somewhat rapidly so Im going to not stuff around and check up on the prices and availabilty of a lockright locker next week. I have one inthe front of the Maverick and it works great. Lets you roll around corners and park easily as it will unlock and ratchet when your not on the throttle but when your on the berries it will lock solid like a spool. Did some preliminary checks and they seem to be around the $470 mark for a 28 spline Borgy. Will see if they will go cheaper if a few are bought at once so if anyone is interested in one let me know.

On to the EF brake setup. What is the difference between it and the EB setup and how will it affect my application? I was going to run EB onthe ute as that was what I had and I had a cable here to suit. Can the EB cable be used with the EF brakes?
If the EF setup is not going to be any good to me what do I have to change between the 2 to convert it back to EB?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I've got an EF wagon diff for sale sitting in the garage for $70, but no one wants it. Could do with some cash back too! (Am I sounding like a stuck record here?)

The EF Futura and Gli and Fairmont wagons all had 3.23 or 3.28 (or 3.27) or whatever it is.... It was somewhere around there. 3.08 may have been an EA-ED thing...?

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
I've got an EF wagon diff for sale sitting in the garage for $70, but no one wants it. Could do with some cash back too! (Am I sounding like a stuck record here?)

The EF Futura and Gli and Fairmont wagons all had 3.23 or 3.28 (or 3.27) or whatever it is.... It was somewhere around there. 3.08 may have been an EA-ED thing...?

Well Mr Fiend if the diff turns out to be a 3.23 well thats only a better thing! Im feeling better about this already!

The diff is out of a EF I6 auto.

I have just seen that Mr BenJ has logged on. Fingers crossed he pops his nogin in here and answers a few of the questions I have kicking about here.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Full points and kudos to you Mr Field as it appears you are exactly right!
After a few seconds of intensive research (ok I googled it) it appears that the EF sedan run a 3.08 in 6 cylinder guise but the wagon scored the 3.23. :D
Feeling real good about this now!
Slip the locker in and rather large smokey burnouts here I come! :mrgreen:

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey Evl.

The brakes are quite different between the EB/EF.

However, I may be able to assist you in this regard, as I want to change my EB rear brakes to EF/EL so my EL handbrake will work.

We should be able to work out a suitable arrangement me thinks. The backing plates off an EB diff, which I believe you will have on your sedan diff, will bolt up to the EF housing allowing you to fit up the EB calipers, rotors and handbrake cable. You also have to ustilise the EB metal brake lines and retrofit it to the EF housing.

Lucky for you, I have done this once already, and will be only too happy to give you a hand to fit it all up in exhange for the now unwanted EF brake parts.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
The C4 is sitting here ready to go and I have been doing a little bit of shopping on ebay.

Scored a set of extractors for EFI Windsor into XF setup for the drivers side starter as per the C4 for the huge sum of $21.50+postage. They are a fairly ordinary set but will be enough to get it setup and up and running. I will be looking at a decent set of pacies or something in the future. Cant do everything at once or I will get bored with it later on!

The 3.45 LSD fell through due to the guy that had it stuffing me around and then decided to keep it. Not happy but these things happen. Had to work on a different battle plan.

Just won a EF wagon diff for $46.55! Just need to run up to Gosford and pick it up. For that kind of money I really cant be stuffed modding the sedan diff to suit.
I reckon coming from a GLi auto it will be a 3.08 diff. Will run it for a bit and try it and see whats its like both on the highway and around town before deciding on a ratio change. The C4 has a pretty good set of ratios so it might well be good enough , just need to wait and see.
My driving style will more then likely see the untimely death of a LSD somewhat rapidly so Im going to not stuff around and check up on the prices and availabilty of a lockright locker next week. I have one inthe front of the Maverick and it works great. Lets you roll around corners and park easily as it will unlock and ratchet when your not on the throttle but when your on the berries it will lock solid like a spool. Did some preliminary checks and they seem to be around the $470 mark for a 28 spline Borgy. Will see if they will go cheaper if a few are bought at once so if anyone is interested in one let me know.

On to the EF brake setup. What is the difference between it and the EB setup and how will it affect my application? I was going to run EB onthe ute as that was what I had and I had a cable here to suit. Can the EB cable be used with the EF brakes?
If the EF setup is not going to be any good to me what do I have to change between the 2 to convert it back to EB?

The 4wd Systems Lokka is more than $470, IIRC they are around the $600 mark. I have one in my AU XR8, got it from EL XR8 who got it in the boostedfalcon group buy @$464 each. They are well worth the money though. If you want, i'll see what revs a 3.45 pulls at 100 and 110 in 4th with a T5 so it's at a 1:1 ratio

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Hey Evl.

The brakes are quite different between the EB/EF.

However, I may be able to assist you in this regard, as I want to change my EB rear brakes to EF/EL so my EL handbrake will work.

We should be able to work out a suitable arrangement me thinks. The backing plates off an EB diff, which I believe you will have on your sedan diff, will bolt up to the EF housing allowing you to fit up the EB calipers, rotors and handbrake cable. You also have to ustilise the EB metal brake lines and retrofit it to the EF housing.

Lucky for you, I have done this once already, and will be only too happy to give you a hand to fit it all up in exhange for the now unwanted EF brake parts.

Cheers
BenJ

Sounds like a plan. I shall ring you and drop by once I pick the diff up.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

The 4wd Systems Lokka is more than $470, IIRC they are around the $600 mark. I have one in my AU XR8, got it from EL XR8 who got it in the boostedfalcon group buy @$464 each. They are well worth the money though. If you want, i'll see what revs a 3.45 pulls at 100 and 110 in 4th with a T5 so it's at a 1:1 ratio

Cheers mate much appreciated. I was lokking at this months specials cattledog and they have listed them in a group of prices "from $467". My luck the one I want will be right up the top end of the specials list and only have $5 discount.
I might have to see what the gois with them doing a group buy and see if there is enough demand to get one up and running.
Even at the full $600 its still good value when you consider what it costs to rebuild a LSD.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EVL098 - 100km/h in 4th with 3.45's is 3000rpm. 110 is 3300rpm

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

3000? Don't you mean 2000?

BenJ

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Nope, I have a T5, in fourth at 100 it is doing 3k rpm, so with 3.45's and a C4 top will be doing roughly 3k rpm @100km/h

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
EVL098 - 100km/h in 4th with 3.45's is 3000rpm. 110 is 3300rpm

Thanks for that mate. I reckon Ill stick with the 3.23's and be done with it I reckon. Even they may turn out being a bit low.
Just gotta hope now the seller of the diff actually gets back to me so I can organise to pick it up!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

DOH

4th, was thinking 5th, my apologies.

BenJ

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well we have been kicking a couple of goals around here lately.
My extractors finally turned up and as far as a good set of extractors go they are crap. It will be like a finger in a bum flow wise , but they will do to sort it out and get it on the road.
I will work a new set out later on.
Picked the 3.23 EF diff up and run it straight over to BenJ's place on the way home. Him and me have swapped brake systems so the EF brakes are now on his wagon and he is putting his old EB brakes onto my diff. Will be picking it up on Wednesday on the way home from Ashcook's when I pick up some more goodies.
If old matey that has been d**k me around with some money for parts for the last 3 weeks actually turns up and pays tomorrow like he reckons I will be ordering the Locker for the diff on Wednesday morning. Fingers crossed!

MY MISSUS IS A DEADSET CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She said today she had to go out while I was working on the Maverick and when she returned she had these little bundles of goodness in her hands.

Yeah Im a lucky guy!
Hurst promatic ratchet shifter and B&M shift kit. Thanks baby!
Which stage of the shift kit do you think Im fitting.............. :twisted:

Its not set in concrete yet but 98% there that there will be a ZL Fairlane front and dash coming home for the ute. The guy Im getting it from is just checking on a couple of bits and if all works out like its meant too its coming home with me for a pretty sweet deal!

Plan is to have the motor out and engine bay stripped of the Fairy Thursday so I can arrange early next week to get rid of the body , then its ignition time on the ute.
I have to get moving on it as the guy buying the T5 is coming out next week to pick it up!

xr6turnip wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 18 of 26  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next