Fordmods Logo

The Ute.Going slowly but any progress is good! 

Page 3 of 26 [ 379 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next

Post subject: Re: The Ute.
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
Have seen 17" on XF/XG and I think that they are a good size, you may find 18"+ a bit big for that series. Also 17" tyres and not that dear. Still think chrome 12 slots would look the part

Slots or Globes would actually be my wheels of choice for it. It is just the expense of tyres large enough for them to look good now days is absolutley absurd. Bigger downside to it all but is there is no guarantee on future supply of 265/50 14 245/50 14 and 265/50 15 and 245/50 15.
They are apparantly no longer made and when the distributor that bought them all up runs out of them thats it , no more.
Plus yeah call me a sook but Im not real keen on the idea of fitting tyres to the car that will get driven fairly hard that have been sitting in a warehouse for anything up to five years , it cant do the rubber any good.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Agree with you on long storage tyres

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well me and the ute ute had a very very good day.

I got home to find my awesome lady had been shopping and bought me a few presents for the ute.

A pair of Fusion 6.5" splits and a Schneider MP3/Bluetooth head unit. I love Fusion gear. I dontthink you can go past it quality wise for the dollars. Bang for the buck is good. My Mav has a fusion amp and I smash the hell out of it with the sub and such and the vigours of off road driving and I have not killed it yet. I wanted fusion speakers for this one.
The headdeck is a bit of an unknown quantity. Apparantly Schneider is a reasonably new company on the Australian audio market , and they were having the decks at introductry prices. It was really really cheap so we are giving it a run and see what they are like. They came highly recommended by a few people and are meant to be the ducks nuts. We shall see.
To try and make sure the old girl is still where I left it the missus also bought me an alarm and immobiliser for it. Obviously Im not going to name names or show what alarm system will be in it on a public forum.
So I reckon I have a busy weekend ahead! Just need to grab a central locking kit tomorrow arvo and I will be on my way.

The wheel situation after much chasing and frigging around has been sorted. They wont be going on for a couple of weeks yet as I have to organise some rubber and such so you can all find out what they are then.

I picked up the plastic trim piece for the console tonight off BenJ and I have to say it has made a huge difference to the interior. It actually looks right now not half butchered and finished.

One of the boys at work has a contact within King springs so the new front springs were ordered tonight and I will hopefully have them tomorrow. I will get the correct height lowering blocks for the rear then so it sits right once the front is in.
I also just won a ZL Fairlane "Star Wars" instrument cluster from evil bay. Yes they are tacky , gawdy , annoying and fairly ugly but I reckon they are cool in an late 80's early 90's kind of way.

So hopefully over the next week or so there should be a few changes to the ute.
I just need to chase up a XB-XD LSD disc brake diff and I will be a happy man. Has anyone out there got one to suit leaf springs and want to swap for a 3.27 EB LSD?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Mate, your wife is awesome buying all that stuff for you while being out 8-) .

Sounds like your getting it altogether, Im not clued up with the cluster you speak of. Can you post a pic of it when you get it mate?

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I know the cluster, many up and down bar lights. Your right about the star wars appearance.

Why don't you mod the EB diff you have? Thats what I did for a diff for my ute. Took the coil mounts off and had leaf spring mounts off the original diff welded in place. Cost me $50 for my mates Dad to weld in on properly, he used to build mine machinery so he did a good job.

Yeah thats what the original plan was but I hadnt checked on width differences and disc brake setup compatability.
If it worked for you but its a bloody encouraging sign.
My old man is a 1st class welder so thats all good on that part.
I might have to head down to pick and scab with my reciprocating saw in hand one weekend and knock the tubes off a leaf spring diff. That way the ute wont be off the road when we are doing it if it doesnt go to plan.
Thanks for the info.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

EVL098 wrote:
ashcook wrote:
I know the cluster, many up and down bar lights. Your right about the star wars appearance.

Why don't you mod the EB diff you have? Thats what I did for a diff for my ute. Took the coil mounts off and had leaf spring mounts off the original diff welded in place. Cost me $50 for my mates Dad to weld in on properly, he used to build mine machinery so he did a good job.

Yeah thats what the original plan was but I hadnt checked on width differences and disc brake setup compatability.
If it worked for you but its a bloody encouraging sign.
My old man is a 1st class welder so thats all good on that part.
I might have to head down to pick and scab with my reciprocating saw in hand one weekend and knock the tubes off a leaf spring diff. That way the ute wont be off the road when we are doing it if it doesnt go to plan.
Thanks for the info.

We used a eb wagon limo diff & eb tailshft in mate's wife's xd (got it out of ad mag for $50),so the width is right and you can buy new saddle's for dirt cheap on evil bay

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sweet as. Can you post me a link to the saddles if you find some?

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Mate, your wife is awesome buying all that stuff for you while being out 8-) .

Sounds like your getting it altogether, Im not clued up with the cluster you speak of. Can you post a pic of it when you get it mate?

Cheers

Josh

Yeah Im really lucky with my wife. She is awesome. I definately got lucky for a lot of reasons when I met her!

No worries on the pics Josh. I shall take some and post them when its in and up and running in all its glarish glory!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

EVL098 wrote:

no worries,at least you can use what you got at home then

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

taxi 5L wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

no worries,at least you can use what you got at home then

Exactly mate. I just took a quick look onthe bay and found some!

Thanks for the tip.
+1 for another lot of Ford Mods help and info!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:23 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Spotted these on Ebay, thought they might be of some interest to you.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0148489880

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
Spotted these on Ebay, thought they might be of some interest to you.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0148489880

Cheers mate but Ill pass on it.
Im not a fan of roll bars on utes. Starts to head into B&S teritory a bit in my opinion.
Off to play with the inside more soon. Hopefully I should get it finished today. I want to use it tonight when we go out.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well managed to get a few things done this weekend. No where as much as I would have liked but I got called into work yesterday for a quick job for an hour. 3 jobs and 9 hours later I got home.
At least it was double time!

Finally got around to getting a pic of it with the tonneau cover on. It actually fits oretty well for an aftermarket job.

Excuse the Tokyo drift appearance with the wider wheels on the front. I wanted to see how much clearance I had on the guards with the new wheels and have so far just been too lazy to jack it back up and take them off.

Alarm and immobiliser with central locking is installed and working. Good thing seeing as though on Friday night someone had a crack at borrowing the ute. It was only the dogs going off chops which work the missus up and her turning the lights outside on that saved it. Also got the head deck in.
The schneider unit didnt live up to expectations so it was returned and replaced with a good old sony.

The speakers will have custom made pods and be reinstalled once I put power windows in and redo the door trims. They sound really good but just running off the headdeck.
Once I do the same space cab mod to mine that Ash has done to his I will revisit the audio side and build an enclosure to take one of my 12" subs I have here. I will also hopefully have bought a fusion amp by then and be running everything off that. Then the audio side should be done.

The other night I popped down to see BenJ. I got the fill in panel for behind the gearshift off him and come home with something else as well. I will show that further on.
The panel actually made a huge difference to the appearance and finished things right off. Best $30 I have ever spent.
Took a bit of courage to drill a hole in an expensive piece of brittle plastic that I knew I would have no chance of getting a replacement if it cracked to install the alarm light. But it was the best place to put it so I took it slow and it come out fine.

The dinner bell has just chimed so I will be back in a bit to show what else I got off BenJ and fill you all in on whats happening and where Im up too!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Mate, I think your first pic might have given the game away LOL

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Mate, I think your first pic might have given the game away LOL

BenJ

Nah no one here is that switched on are they? :lol:

xr6turnip wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 26  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next