Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 15 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyTimTim's 93 ED Mods
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Thats an interesting bit of testing equipment there Tim, great way of diagnosing spark issues thats for sure!!

BTW, you're doing some awesome work with the ED, have been following your build thread for a while now and it has definitely given me heaps of ideas. Especially liking the B-series steering wheel mod, I think I might do something similar with my EF.

Keep up the great work mate!! 8-)

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey Cheers...

Yeah no worries at all... Haven't had much innovation lately... Starting to run out of things to do to the car and will have to start resorting back to working on the house... :( Hopefully this is some inspiration for all... :D

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Also just got the wiper timer going again...

That will be revision 3 now... Left some crucial parts out of revision 2 :roll: Hence why it didn't work from the word go... It needs another diode on the park wire input to stop back feeding through the second regulator and caps across each reg to act as a bypass... Originally I had 14 odd volts going into each reg and only 2.7V coming out of each (each are 9V regs)... Many thanks to Murray again for pointing that out to me... Just put it back in then... Will see how long it lasts this time... Hopefully will be all good now...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

More progress on the TFI tester...

I am etching the PCB now (very slow in the cold weather without a proper tank)... And while waiting I have made up the patch harness shown below... Last step now is to mix up the two part epoxy and fill the inside of the TFI body so the wires can't break off and nasties can't get inside... I got some left over, out of date stuff from work... Because its out of date it can no longer be used as a high voltage insulation material, but works absolutely fine for everything else... :)

Attachment:
DSC_1023.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1022.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1024.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1025.JPG

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Very Nice!

This would be a useful tool to have around I think.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Many Thanks... :D

Yeah so much than stabbing in the dark at whats the problem... My brother drove to a mates house a couple of months ago and then went to come home and the car wouldn't start... The old man took his work's one out and plugged it in and straight away knew it was the coil... We changed it and sure as s**t the coil had split open and being a foggy night the coil was tracking to earth...

Like I said you build this sort of thing... Throw it in the toolbox in the boot... Hope you never need it... But at least if I ever break down somewhere, between the CAM tester and this TFI tester I have now I should be able to tell the NRMA guy what is wrong, rather than getting an opinion I have facts... BUT... Hopefully I never need it... I mean after all it is a good old reliable falcon 8-)

Just gotta order all the components and wait for them to get it here and build it up... Fair bit of work in gutting the TFI module and preparation to get it ready... But I may be able to make a couple more of these up if anyone is interested... But it will be by no means a production line thing and I certainly don't want to end up producing heaps and heaps (I get bored easily)... But if people want one I may make half a dozen or something... And it would be even better if people supplied their own TFI module gutted and cleaned of the gel in there... But for now we'll see whether this one works or not...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ok Pretty well finished the patch harness this arvo...

Attachment:
DSC_1030.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1031.JPG

Thats pretty much as neat as it will get whilst using a TFI module instead of a proper socket for the plug... :S Long way from perfect, but for the price it will do me just fine... :D I may end up trying it a different way yet though to see if it comes up neater... See what happens anyway...

Ordered the parts last night with the added bonus that jaycar currently has free shipping... So I saved myself 10 bucks there... Circuit board is finished and lacquered, now to drill some holes and wait on some bits and pieces...

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Excellent job.

BenJ

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Sorry Guys...

Life has been through some changes in the last week so this thingo was on the back of my mind...

Anyway...

Its done now... This being the trial version... Its basically a "photocopy" of Ford's tester minus the banana plug points... It works as good as the factory one... Plug it in... Start car... LED's flicker and indicate status... If car doesn't start then you press button and injectors and coil cycle and again LED's indicate status...

Due to it being a straight out photocopy space was not utilised the best and I don't really have the room in the case to add the incandescent bulb that I wanted to so this one will stay without it... Also other problems were physically mounting the board... This one just worked out ok...

So that's led to revision 2...

First up though, this is what I got so far...

Attachment:
DSC_1038.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1041.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1042.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1043.JPG

And now I've spent this morning moving items around the board and shaping the board so that it is now made to suit the case I'll be using, rather than the case Ford used...

This has now shifted everything enough to both allow for the incandescent bulb and also make it better to mount the board, more secure and that and also give me enough board down bellow to properly attach the loom to it...

All in all it should look pretty neat once done... So the new board now looks something like this...

Attachment:
Tracks (Toggle Switch) Version 2.JPG

So now to etch it and make it up and this should hopefully be the finalised model...

Still waiting for Laticia to send me the TFI and loom plug for another loom that she sent ages ago... Will check the post tomorrow and rev her again if its not there...

Something I'll hopefully never need... But one day it'll make someone's life a whole heap easier...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good work Tim.
I could of certainly used one of these last weekend. To think a tool like this would of saved a rental car , borrowing Yobbofords trailer , driving back to Vic and then towing my car 900kms home all for a dud coil makes me put my hand up for one if you start making a few.
We tested the coil and it had spark to ground , just not enough when it was under load..............

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I'll see what works out anyway and see how much they'd cost to build... Most of it has been this here and that there...

All in all they are super simple... The time consuming part is in the loom... sourcing a TFI module, the plugs can be bought new or cut off a wreck, then gutting the TFI and cleaning the gel out of it, modifying it to reveal the terminals inside, tinning them, soldering all the wires up... Thats the worst of it... Living in the country makes TFI modules hard to come by in themselves... So this will never be a mass produced item, I may starting buying some as they come up and make half a dozen or so units and sell them off...

Unless someone wants to make a large donation of TFI modules and plugs of course...

The only other thing this needs is a high energy test plug such as the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KD-Calibrated-Ig ... 483b0ad454

So you plug it into the coil lead and use this tester to check and see whether the spark with through that gap (fairly big gap in those test plugs)...

This just takes any guess work out of it...

See what happens anyway...

Now when I go to work tomorrow I'll use the laser photocopier and transfer the circuit image and etch that in the arvo... Hopefully the next lot of components from Jaycar should be here tomorrow too...

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Once again I am super impressed. Excellent work.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers BenJ...

Just some tidying up and make it look a bit more professional with version 2 and it should be a great bit of gear...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

OK made version 2 and much more pleased with it...

Had some troubles with the PIP LED and then realised I forgot to copy a track on my design... :roll: So added a bridge in on mine and that fixed it up...

Anyway this is version 2 with things shifted left a bit and now that globe can fit on the right hand side... Please to say its all a working success and its awesome...

So now there will be version 3 with a couple of things moved a bit more and that missing track added... Physically from the outside it wont change much at all... just moving stuff on the board to make it fit...

I might end up doing a bunch of 10 if there is enough interest in them... I'm just getting a price on test spark plugs seeing as the two really go hand in hand with each other... and then if they are reasonably priced enough I'll order some bits and make them up... Also dependant on how many TFI modules people will donate for nothing... And decided for the price I'll just by new plugs, nice clean and undamaged plug not hassling people to chop them off, the TFI socket will be the only second hand item... At this stage I'd be thinking in the price bracket between 100 to 150 with the test plug & postage Aussie wide included... Keeping in mind the one Ford sells doesn't come with a test plug or postage and is only available to Ford dealers (public can't buy one) for a bit over 200 bucks plus GST... I'll also do up a laminated page or such with instructions to use and identify the problem part (wont be much to it, maybe an A4 or A5 page worth)...

Anyway anyone looking on if your interested start making a list... Once I sort out a final price and that I'll read the guidelines and such for group buys and make up a thing in the for sale section for those not watching on... Those in here who read all my wasted time can be first in on the 10... But at this stage is still unofficial and if I can't get 10 a lot of bulk buy prices are lost and price may rise slightly...

May seem a bit dear but everything is home made by me here from etching the board to drilling the case and physical assembly... Quite a few hours work in the prototype but once your on a roll making 10 identical I'm hoping I wont be spending much time on each individual one So maybe not be Aussie made components but it is assembled in Australia... :D

You still be interested Matt at that price?

Anyway at this stage idea, criticism and comments welcome... If people want to source their own test spark plugs I may negate that and it may be close to $100 by the end... So any feedback would be great...

You can pretty well bet this is what you'd be receiving...
Attachment:
DSC_1044.JPG

Thanks,
Tim

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Just a few more pics for the sake of my group buy thread I'm doing up... Which is in the fuel & ECU forum for those following, got permission from the mods to put it in there for now...

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by TimmyA on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 15 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 78  Next