Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 39 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Future Plans...
Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Cheers Troy...

Yeah I thought not... Only fancy feature is the ceramic coating...

This looks tidy too:

Apparently made by snort... My number one priority is to piss the AU intake pipe work off more than anything... Sure that tiny tiny hole in the airbox lid isn't doing anything any favours...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

My recommendation is to source an EF airbox lid as they have an 80mm hole in the lid, and a trumpet intake. Then run a 300mm length of 3" alloy tube (Supercheap sell them) into an EL elbow and then an AU Pipe to the throttle body.

Cheap, effective and still looks neat and tidy.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ah yes... You're happy with the result Ben?

The general consensus is a big free flowing intake system improves throttle responsiveness... You gained that there?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Yes, I could feel the difference in response, as well as a definite improvement through the mid range.

And for the cost of less than $40 I was very happy.

The good point of this is that if you try it and think you need more, you have not invested much.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: NL Fairlane

VIC, Australia

Hi Tim,
Just found this thread and wanted to say what a great read. I have a spare VCT cam if you are still looking for one. Was going to use it in the Fairlane before realising you can't fit a standard cam gear to them.

Just a couple of questions. Are you happy with the VCT setup? I'm thinking of doing the same thing in the NL but am wondering if it is worth it. Also how did you wire up the soleniod?

Cheers,
Troy

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Troy,

Sorry mate, read this one day at work and forgot to get back to you...

I am happy with the VCT set up... I like it because it's something a bit different... Most people ask if it came out std on ED falcons... It is not for big power but more so broader torque... I made the same amount of power after the VCT install but heaps more torque between installing it and the BBM...

Now doing 8L/100km roughly which is terrific and around 10-11L/100km with the trailer on...

VCT is triggered by a jaycar RPM switch, which you build yourself and set the trigger for the change point...

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5378

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that Tim.
I was looking at the RPM switches from Jaycar I think that is the way I am going to go.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Long time no see as far as car stuff goes and not much to report on...

Life's rather hectic atm...

Did finally acquire all the odds and ends for the CAI install...

Scored a BA elbow and flexi pipe off a wrecker on ebay who sold them to me for $65 delivered (mustn't know what people will pay for them)...

Found an EF airbox lid off someone on here and the pipe from the rear rocker cover dang to the bottom of the EF throttle body I already have fitted off someone else...

Heatshrink capped the dang on the BA elbow and it is reasonably unnoticeable...

The discovery was that the EF airbox lid hole was slightly larger than 3" while the BA flexi pipe was a touch under 3.5"...

Ended up purchasing a stainless steel exhaust section off an exhaust join in Griffith... It was 3" to 3.5" and cost around the $30 mark... and he blew the 3" end up a touch to fit nice in the airbox lid... I had to stretch the BA flexi pipe on the other end but did go on with minor swearing so all good there... Only other minor swearing came when trying to re-adjust the AC pipe to miss this intake (drops off quicker than the older AU one)...

Quite happy... Looks factory enough for me and isn't made up of 16 aluminium sections and 16 blue silicon bends so that's even better... Car does feel a little more responsive in the throttle dept now, but that may be mind over matter too :?

Here is 16 billion photos because I was side tracked fiddling with my new flash for my DLSR...

Cheers,
Tim

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - CAI Fitted
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

That looks great Tim. Keeps the engine bay looking clean and has a stock look to it.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers man...

Yeah I quite like the stock look... Too much polish and too much bling isn't my thing...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

that engine bay is mint, and im loving the join you got made up for the ba flex pipe to the box, makes me want one. Good work.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers man... I'm pretty happy... without going to the nth degree to hide every last ounce of wiring it's turned up fairly tidy for what it is...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Would love to do the same with the 'Lane but have to wait till I convert to gas injection

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - The dreaded firewall crack...
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

It's been a while... and I've been busy doing everything but car stuff...

Firstly was Worldskills 2012 in Sydney hosted at the Olympic Park from 30-Aug to 1-Sept...

It was sure as hell testing... Had a terrific time and learnt a lot about myself and it was fascinating to work so hard and be so focused under pressure... 3 days (18 hours) of competetion for what is essentially the tradesman olympics...

The electrical control category was comprised of the following modules:

A)Circuit Design
B)VSD set up
C)Main Project
D)Fault Finding
E) PLC Programming
F)Speed Project

And long story short, the main project ended up being this:

And the speed project was this:

Main project was to simulate a baggage handler... Forwards and reverse, two speed, tripwire, delay on start, warning buzzer and lamps, local and remote start/stops... Had to be made from scratch and wired, mounted, accurate to 2mm and full test report completed and submitted before being able to turn it on... I was one of 4 to achieve full functionality first go...

Placed overall second... Was too old to head to Leipzig in Germany next year for the international comp anyhow, plus have too much other stuff I want to do before dedicating another year toward this competition... One year was enough for me... Have the time of my life there...

Since then I've been settling back into reality now I'm not preparing for a competition any longer...

Our old mate fiend had his firewall strengtheners made out of stainless for sale in the markets section and I grabbed one of those for my car... Based on Troy's original design to reinforce the weak firewalls on the E series... Turned up and looked good and has been floating around collecting dust for a few weeks now...

I've not got myself a work ute (Brand new PX Ranger 3.2L 6spd Manual, it's awesome) and driving my car after work the clutch has this really funny feel to it and seem abnormally hard and friction filled to press...

Decided this arvo to think about fitting it... At least seeing how it sat... Went to undo the clutch cable and looked up to see my clutch hole had cracked 2/3 way around already and I'm sure it wasn't that long ago I checked it last to make sure it hadn't happened yet... No wonder why it felt woeful... Clutch cable is still ok thankfully...

Straightened the factory dang up and fitted the flat to make sure it'd all work ok... I ended up removing the booster for ease of access... Put some sikaflex on the back of it once I was happy... Sutck it on and hooked the clutch cable back up and pumped it a few times so it all settled into place and was at some sort of happy state and then screwed the plate to the firewall...

No photos of it as it just sort of got done and I didn't think twice about getting any snaps... So thanks to fiend for that plate... Timing just worked out nicely... And clutch feels so much better now...

Next thing to do is maybe upgrade the sway bars and do all that as I think my link rubbers are cactus... just trying to work out what on earth is the "best" combination... Been searching and reading all arvo... I'd be quite happy with both full adjustable swaybars, just not sure what do for link rods... All I know from reading is whatever it is that whiteline supply, they're s**t apparently...

Also considering a braided brake line set... New rotors and pads for a bit more positive stopping ability...

And just about (if not already) due for a new exhaust... Wouldn't mind fitting a metallic cat while I'm at it...

Been spending big money on my photography hobby and getting ready to put my shed up so bit short to do too much more to the car anytime soon...

Cheers,
Tim

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - The dreaded firewall crack...
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Any info, thoughts, feelings, from people about what combinations of bars which work well?

Do I go up two sizes in the front and one in the rear? or
For every size you go up in the front do you go up one size in the rear?
Can you go too big?
Do the cars become too uncomfortable if you go up too many sizes?

I think I'll get non adjustable bars now and run the std links with new rubbers... At least std links can't knock, I've since heard bad reports about the tie rod end type joints for the adjustable bars...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 39 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 78  Next