Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 50 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Double DIN Refinement
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Will give it a whirl... Their (septone)description says to use the fibreglass one for big holes and that it doesn't sand as well as the other one... Says to get it close with the fibreglass one and finish off with this one... So wasn't sure then...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Double DIN Refinement
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, now I'm looking at home - didn't realise the seller was VGautopaints.

The fibreglass one does sand okay - try 240 or 400 grade, and work up to finer papers. 400 and up you can wet sand, otherwise it does cake up more than a*** paper.

If you are in Sydney, do go to a VG Saturday morning demo - you'll get a lot out of it. They do know their stuff, and are happy to give advice - plus there's a lot of stuff on their website as well - demos, etc.
I've spoken in person to Dave (who is in a lot of the demo videos)quite a few times, and he is really good. You can ring them too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - AU Progress...
Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thanks for that Ray... Miles from the big city out here... I'll get something and give it a whirl anyway... Seems as though it should be easy enough... If I get stuck I'll check their website...

The Au stuff is a little closer again... Spent this morning tweaking the E series vac lines to tidy them up a touch and allow for the vacuum canister I have mounted in the dash now and delete the right hand mudguard ball...

Got that shorted and put the passenger air con duct back in and that was the dash all but finished... Mounted it in the EB and worked out where I can mount the bracket for the dash to computer loom plug and the dash to heaterbox loom plug... Going to retain the E series vac plug as it is just so much easier...

Pulled the dash back out and welded in the brackets and modified the recirc flap one last time... The plate that mounts to the pedal box to hold the orange and white plugs was too far back so I cut it off and moved it 20mm or forward so the plug from the dash plugged in a little easier... All plugs in and looks the part now... Still waiting for my 65mm guillotine punch and that'll be last loom installed in the EB... Change the headlight plugs and add in the coolant level sensor plug and sorted I think...basically at the stage where it can go into my car...

My hood lining is just starting to sag too so I am going to fix up the EB one and get it re-done and install that at the same time... That's still on the to do list... Might get it out this week and give it a sand down...

Photos:

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:14 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Moral Dilemma!

Open to opinions here...

I have Eagle 9mm leads on my ED atm... Look good... Feel to be good quality... Good moulded boots on the ends and such...

Eagle do not make them for the AUII and AUIII... As you know these cars run a different coil pack... Apparently something with the connector to suit the AUII coilpack and the 9mm cable don't go together real well... I can some std dodgy looking 8mm ones or the massive 10.5mm ones...

What are peoples opinions... I'd jump at 10.5's but I think they may be too big (can you just go too big with leads?) and they may not clip into the thingos on the rocker cover...

Is it worth converting to an AUI coil pack and getting 9mm leads? Or is the AUII coil pack a leaps and bounds type improvement? Or is the AUI coil pack not electrically compatible with the AUII computer?

I looked into top gun 8.8mm leads and they have cheap nasty looking boots on the spark plugs...

What's the verdict guys? Not sure what I want to do yet... I have thermo fans, new radiator coming... Hood lining is being re-trimmed... Chasing a full hose set up... I'll run the near brand new iridium plugs in my ED in the AU motor and my rocker cover... May go a different colour one day in the future, but happy with the deep red for now... Just about everything for the new motor is sorted...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nobody knows spark plug leads or has fitted anything to their au2?mostly curious if 10.5mm leads would damage anything with only a stock coil pack and plugs?

Just looking at the au header tank and one of the mounting tabs is C**k in the Ed... Doesn't sit flat against the inner mudguard... What have people done with this? Just left it slightly twisted or did they make something or modify the tank?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:01 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Spare time today... 1x 65mm knockout punch... finally after months of being stuff around by the other ebay seller and waiting for this one to arrive I have a 65mm hole... Nice and neat and burr free...

Just covers the old two holes that were there... works good...

So the enge bay loom is now installed and the few minor changes that I had to make are done... Just horns and head lights and such...

All plugged in and turns the key and fuel pump runs and instruments work (except for engine stuff)... Lights all work... Heaterbox all works...

So that's the wiring done as much as I can where it stands anyway... Just got to do some things to the boot loom which is easy, and fiddle with the interior light loom a little more

Then it's just getting other stuff... radiator, welch plugs, hose, spark leads, organise some blank keys, give it an oil change... Gotta fab up a bracket for the fuse box...

The AU battery box and cooler pipe was a direct fit so score there...

From the above too, if anyone can shed some light on what they do for spark plug leads and anyone converted to the AU header tank how they dealt with the C**k mounting foot i'd be keen to hear...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I know a lot of our aussie stuff run parts made in the states... like the EEC computer system...

Does anyone know if our security systems came from the states? IE was the smartshield system which came in around 2000 or 2001 that which was used in the equivalent era mustang/Taurus?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

In line with the other advice I've been seeking and nobody seems any wiser than me, I'll also need a new clutch because I have cooked the current one in the past and wont be wanting to reuse it... Still works alright but has slipped bad one when trying to "unbog" a forklift... :?

What's the pick of a decent clutch, without overloading the adaptor on the top of the clutch pedal nor the claw on the end of the fork? I have already reinforced the firewall and the pedal box and hate to think what's next to break... :? So sooner steer clear of anything ridiculously heavy... Opinions advice?

I read that the exedy heavy duty wasn't any heavier on the foot than the normal exedy... Not sure what to get...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
In line with the other advice I've been seeking and nobody seems any wiser than me, I'll also need a new clutch because I have cooked the current one in the past and wont be wanting to reuse it... Still works alright but has slipped bad one when trying to "unbog" a forklift... :?

What's the pick of a decent clutch, without overloading the adaptor on the top of the clutch pedal nor the claw on the end of the fork? I have already reinforced the firewall and the pedal box and hate to think what's next to break... :? So sooner steer clear of anything ridiculously heavy... Opinions advice?

I read that the exedy heavy duty wasn't any heavier on the foot than the normal exedy... Not sure what to get...

Cheers,
Tim

the hd exedy in my el is fine how ever never driven a falcon with out a HD clutch so I wouldn't know what to compare too

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:16 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers man...

That's a start...

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Depending how much driving you do in traffic, I would recommend a cushioned ceramic. The friction point is a lot shorted, but it feels really light under your foot and there is no chance of it slipping.

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/xtreme-clutches-what-one-to-get-t81672.html

This is prob worth a read, I ended up getting the equivalent of the DCBHD and I love it for everything, except bumper to bumper driving.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hey Tim.

I run a stockish clutch behind the BARRA using the EA T5. It is has a bit more clamping force than a standard clutch, and has a light pedal.

Snap uses the same clutch pack.

However, I don't drive my car hard, and it very rarely gets launched in anger.

I do drive it every day in Sydney peak hour with no issues, and on the above mentioned rare occasions have chirped/spun the wheels off the line.

Snap may recall the part number.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers guys... Would sooner stay away from a button clutch... Too agressive for what I want... The loading on everything with the cable worries me... I have heard the fork claw can let the cable through and the adaptor on the top of the pedal can break... They're a heavy clutch as is, but the malwood hydraulic conversion is too expensive for me at the moment...

May just end up with a std clutch again... Hasn't done me any in justice...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:26 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Yep it does depend on the sort of driving you do. I found it nowhere near as bad as I expected in terms of aggressiveness. The main reason I suggested it is becuase it is really light, compared with even a stock clutch. It gets its clamping pressure from reducing the friction area, rather than just ending up with a really massive pressure plate.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ahhh decisions decisions... :/ It needs to be drivable at least and it needs to tow because that is just what it does... And when towing and esp reversing with a trailer riding the clutch is essential...

Going to need a new alternator... pulled the old one off the AUII donk apart and it is full of power steering fluid, and has a bent rotor, you can see where it has been hitting the stator...

Going to get the Bosch 120Amp unit (about $220 on ebay) which has an external reg so you can change brushes a whole s**t load easier than the genuine ford item... Looks the goods anyway...

Going to order 10.5mm leads and clamps next week and go with them... got welch plugs ordered, radiator is being chased up... chase up a hose kit and that's about home and hosed I think...

I had my double din radio surround painted professionally in a both by a mate so as to ensure the paint retains to the bog and plastic... it will be flat finished, but I don't mind so much... Apparently it's finished... Just need to pick that up... Forgot all about doing the ash tray but!!!!!!!!!!! too many things happening... So I'll sand that down too and get that painted the same...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 50 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 78  Next