Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 52 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Counting Down...
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Also,

Ended up with just the pretty pink Exedy Sports Tuff Level 1 Clutch (Heavy Duty)...

Consensus seemed to be that these are the lightest under foot heavy duty clutch...

Cost $333 I think and turned up today... Looks pretty much like a pink clutch...

Exedy's product video was pretty inspiring... Some of their carbon fibre twin and triple plate clutches with one piece lightened flywheels look magnificent... But I'd hate to need one of those and trying to afford to buy it... :?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - AU into ED in progress...
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Fellow Modding Enthusiasts...

Day 1 finishes off like this...

Friday arvo between work and work I managed to get the dash out, console out, airbox out, battery out, thermofans out, steering column out some other simple stuff like that... Making today a little easier...

In the above photos everything old is gone... Some new wiring dropped in, battery tray modified, 65mm hole in through the side of the car, new 2AWG starter motor cable from the battery in place...

Also excuse the dodgy mobile phone photos... Was getting late for work, dark and I was way too dirty to want to get out my DSLR...

Things that haven't gone to plan thus far are:

*Forgot to to get a new rear main seal... Nobody in town had one this morning
*Decided to pull intake manifold off before it goes in and clean it out... Found a new gasket this morning.
*Exhaust side engine mount was cactus... Tomorrow going to chase up see if anyone in town has new ones...

Tomorrow I'd like to have the motor back in... But this pends finding engine mounts... So to do this I have something left to put in and a couple of brackets to make up (coil pack and fuse block)... Also need to swap over the rocker cover, phasor housing, check cam timing, swap injectors and bolt new alternator and cleaned manifold on...

Then the rest of the week leaves me with in car wiring...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Well done!

Empty red engine bay brings back fond memories.

Keep working to your plan and it will come together as intended.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I am 99% i has got AU engine mounts in back yard if want you can have one for free can send out on tuesday but most likely will be to late

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:24 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers dudes...

Also notice the gay black dampener is gone now as it was torn, split and shagged... I don't mind the red firewall... Hopefully the red rocker cover still goes alright... May need to get one done up in blue or green or black or something cool...

Na I have good AU engine mounts...

Apparently they don't work on an ED K frame but you use ED engine mounts... Not worth fitting second hand ones so I'll suss new ones out and the rear main seal the same... Not worth assembling to find it leaks... Easier to change now, and the same reason I pulled the intake off, not only is it now clean and good looking, but I know the intake manifold gasket wont have any leaks...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Cheers dudes...

Also notice the gay black dampener is gone now as it was torn, split and shagged... I don't mind the red firewall... Hopefully the red rocker cover still goes alright... May need to get one done up in blue or green or black or something cool...

Na I have good AU engine mounts...

Apparently they don't work on an ED K frame but you use ED engine mounts... Not worth fitting second hand ones so I'll suss new ones out and the rear main seal the same... Not worth assembling to find it leaks... Easier to change now, and the same reason I pulled the intake off, not only is it now clean and good looking, but I know the intake manifold gasket wont have any leaks...

Cheers,
Tim

I never knew that you use the EA-ED mounts in these box cars , when doing conversions but hey they are cheap , also good thinking not many people actually go ahead with doing rear main seals etc , you might need to make a rear main seal installation tool for your self so you can evenly tap the seal in

Will you also be doing the sump gasket ?

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:37 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah the blocks all have the same bolt pattern for the engine mount but ED k frame is different from EF/EL which is different from AU... SO because blocks are the same but K frames vary you use the mounts to suit the car, not the engine...

Old man works for Ford... I have the tool... Or at least access to the tool...

Na the sump gasket will be right... Haven't seem one of them leak on any of our cars yet... Simple good seal... The Rear main has a crank spinning in it so I want to make sure it isn't shagged... The Intakes go hard and spit a piece out... So thats worth changing while not in the car too... Money well spent...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The EA ED engine mounts even bolt right up to the BARRA.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Yeah the blocks all have the same bolt pattern for the engine mount but ED k frame is different from EF/EL which is different from AU... SO because blocks are the same but K frames vary you use the mounts to suit the car, not the engine...

Old man works for Ford... I have the tool... Or at least access to the tool...

Na the sump gasket will be right... Haven't seem one of them leak on any of our cars yet... Simple good seal... The Rear main has a crank spinning in it so I want to make sure it isn't shagged... The Intakes go hard and spit a piece out... So thats worth changing while not in the car too... Money well spent...

Cheers,
Tim

Yes yes i agree 100% with you

So you have ALOT of skill in electrical due to its your job , and your a handy man seems to good to be true ?

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:45 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
Yes yes i agree 100% with you

So you have ALOT of skill in electrical due to its your job , and your a handy man seems to good to be true ?

Jack of all trades, master of none...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

I went from a standard clutch in both my eb xr6 and ed xr8 sprint to excedy heavy duty in both cars. Best choice I believe as the pedal feel is almost the same but the clutch grips so much better! I also changed the engine in my red xr6 and took that s**t heat thing off the fire wall. It turned out really nice with a quick hand polish. Just need to hide the wiring! I went for a black stealth look on everything though. Good luck with it mate looks the goods so far.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers man...

Hoping this Exedy is as good as everyone sayss and can't wait to try it out... :twisted:

Progressed further today... Engine bay is wried up... Heaps of unforseen obstacles...

Bracket for mounting the front corner of the AU relay block took a heap of extra time to make up than originally planned... Got it in and had to modify the lower mounting tag to better fit the shape of the inner mudguard...

When to fit up the AU header tank which I trial fitting on the ED and looked at the master cylinder swinging in the breeze and though this doesn't look right... Stuck my booster back in and the AU header tank wont fit on an E series with a dual diaphragm booster... Hits on the master cylinder...

Investigation lead me to find the firewall strengthening bracket I bought off fiend which is very neat looking, fowled on the dual diaphragm booter holding it forward... Always would have done but I never noticed because of the stupid deadener thing that was hanging off the firewall... So then spent an hour on the die grinder making a groove in it so the booster would fit back against the firewall properly... Stainless is hard s**t...

Then back to the header tank which still fowled but by less now and I managed to modify the leg that sits on the strut to allow it to slide forward enough that it missed the booster than the relay block... Tight fit all in all but looks OK...

Finished off the engine bay loom (header tank plug) and made the appropriate holes in various panels to allow it to pass through... Welded in three bolts to use as good earth studs to ensure I never have any electrical problems in the future... Looks all spiffy now... Turned out pretty good so far... Engine still isn't in but there isn't much preventing that now... Try and suss out a rear main seal tomorrow and another engine mount and its pretty good...

Found out today that the timing Ford specify for the VCT is the retarded cam timing judging by this factory unaltered VCT motor... So Ford specify the intake opens at .05mm at 12BTDC this is basically 2 thou and this VCT I have here (assuming no slip in the balancer rubber) has 3 though retarded... If the cam could advance 10 degrees like Ford say it should then (thats 20 at the crank) you have 30 thou at 12BTDC then by my measurements... I don't think the VCT is good enough to get 10 but... My old one only got 6... But that's that for anyone interested...

Was mounting up the computer loom in the engine bay and the convolute had a big tear in it and I thought I'd check the wiring inside it... Lucky I did... Too broken wires in it which i had to fix up and then finished mounting it off... The big orange plug loom is in and plugged in to the cruise moudle, power steering switch, and brake fail switch... Need to change the wiper motor over to the EL one I have as they had a longer wiring tail on them to get the wiring over the top of the booster...

My old man spent half the day modifying the intake engine mount bracket to take the coil pack like the AU one does in basically that exact position so it looks factory like... Swapped over for my recently cleaned injectors, my non leaking phasor housing and painted rocker cover which I managed to damage in getting the old motor out... :roll:

New bonnet and clutch cables are in... New battery positive leads are done, larger 4AWG alternator leads is in to help better handle the 120A capability of the new Bosch Alternator... Might give the new motor a wash to clean off the old oil leaks tomorrow and finish fitting what needs to the bet fitted first... Hopefully work towards getting custom AC lines made this week and then I can de-gas, change lines and re-gas the AC system...

Soon it's onto cable wiring, boot wiring and door wiring... :roll: Hard part is nearly done but...

Before I get dirty tomorrow I'll get out the DSLR and get some photos of the progress which aren't blurry and horrible looking...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Here's photos as promised...

Monday started off good... Got photos all good... Started making up battery cables to go the chassis and such and slipped with the hooked type cable stripping stanley knife and removed a chunk from the end of my middle finger... Not a cut, but physically removed a whole section... You'd think an electrician would know better... So spent an hour in cas and then the rest of the day feeling down and trying to the bear the pain of my finger enough to get some one handed tasks done... Ended up removing about 1cm by .5cm by maybe 1-2mm think... Haven't seen it real well yet because the two times I tried to have a look it filled up with blood faster than I could wipe it off...

So felt angry at myself, and miserable then... I was wound up and semi rushing to try get my car back on the road, for no real particular reason...

Today was a better day... Got the interior light loom done and run down the A pillar, new hoodlinig is in... Seats and carpet out and body loom in... Holes enlarged for bigger grommets to the rear doors... Actuators installed in the back doors... Few other niggly little things... Motor went back in tonight... It sppears I may be able to screw my high pressure hose straight into the AU pump without needing to change the valve to an ED one which if is the case will make it so much easier...

Ended up with the following work being done to the motor:

My 12 month old Iridium NGK plugs
My 12 month since being cleaned AU injectors
My maroon rocker cover
My non leaking phasor housing
New rear main seal
New sump plug
Eagle 10.5mm leads
New intake manifold gasket
Intake has been bead blasted and cleaned out from the old residual oil
2x new engine mounts
New welch plugs all round

Gotta put my EL throttle body onto this to allow me to keep running the BA intake and keep it tidy looking...

Question... I don't have the bracket which supports the clutch cable at the bellhousing which is completely different to the ED one and NLA through ford... Does anyone have one they don't want?

Getting there... rear door wiring tomorrow and finish off the cabin wiring and the boot wiring hopefully...

Photos from Monday:

Hole for the wiring which nearly looks factory

Front bracket for the fuse box

This is where I modified the stalk to half it's original width to slide the header tank forward as much as possible...

Master cylinder clearance, is more there than this photo shows...

This is the modifications to the clutch cable strengthener to allow the booster to actually touch the firewall...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Timmmmyyyyy

You the man.

Keep it real and focused mate.

You will succeed.

BenJ

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers for the positive words Ben!

Yeah it'll get there... Can't wait to see it in and going... Hopefully after all this it isn't imobilised from my workshop tinkering with all the wiring to get it semi working...

Very happy with it so far... The body loom went in great and the new hoodlining looks a million bucks... Feels all clean and brand new...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 52 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 78  Next