Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 66 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:25 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

How many you dudes on facebook?

Here is the link to the album there...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ploaded=54

That's all the good shots... Got a lot of videos too because a photo of a dyno run isn't so exciting... But haven't even looked through them yet...

If anything can't see them and wants to let me know and I'll upload them to my photobucket too...

Feel free to like my page while your there... Doesn't get much use of late because I've been more busy doing everything else and haven't had time for creative photography for a while...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:57 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Still chasing this weird problem with my AU gear...

When you start the car first thing in the morning it starts ok then really struggles to idle for 5 to 10 secs and nearly stalls and then all of a sudden it roars up to 800revs and idles there (with the ac going)...

Then you take off and get to a point with acceleration and it literally nose dives with no power at all and then jams you back into the seat and goes again... Only does it a couple of times and then it's all good for the rest of the day... Its really weird...

It doesn't blow any black smoke so doubt it's fuel pressure reg (although I haven't actually checked the fuel pressure but it is the rail off it when it was ED (still and AU VCT rail) and ran fine on that... The TPS is ok because I have checked the voltage coming out with the diag gear and it looks spot on as a graph with no weird spikes...

Nothing throws up any codes...

Not sure what to try... This barely idling when started thing is confusing me... Both computers do the same... Maybe need to try and find me a computer with a different catch code from a AU3 or something...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No input from anyone regarding what my odd problem might be?

On a side note the Clarion Double DIN headunit has been pulled and sold... I don't know if it didn't like my ipod or what but the whole trip to canberra and around town lately it gets to the end of a song and the ipod locks up... And the headunit wont see the ipod... I kept jumping out of navigation... And was just glitchy... Always has been... But it got the better of me in the end...

So it is sold...

I am in the process of importing Pioneer's new appradio 3 from the states...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... H-DA210%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_QS8nHp7w

After spending a week of reading of odds and ends I came to this conclusion because of:

Cost - The current Pioneer units with inbuilt GPS are around 1500 to 2000 bucks, this is $480 delivered, where else but Amazon?
Appradio - I can connect my ipod with a navigation app installed and get nav that way
Appradio - I can use Sygic for nav and other apps such as dashboard for OBD2 info (maybe)
GPS Antenna - Unlike the non "appradio" models, this has a GPS antenna so you can hide your ipod
Motorised Screen - The clarion was impossible to see with the sun bouncing off the centre console
7" screen - Because bigger is better
Less Rear Connections - Because it's just one big jammed in mess behind the unit and can obstruct the ash tray
Support - Pioneer US seems to offer more info and advice on their website than Pioneer Aust
Compatibility - Supposedly even works with Android but that'll probably been painful

So hopefully it's here Friday... That's the esitmated delivery date... But that may be Friday in the US making it Monday here by the time freight goes again... And I'll post back about it works and looks and such...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Will be awesome to see how it works Tim.
Are you using a certified cable to connect your iPod?
I know I had a similar problem with my iPhone 5 (mine would jam up when I turned the high beams on and would stop charging and start discharging) and it was because I wasn't using a certified cable.
Apparantly its something Apple builds into the software.
I bought a certified cable and all is now well.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah I will be...

Apple make 3 different cords...

One to suit lightning connector... Which requires the apple adatopr which plugs into the phone and gives HDMI and lightning out... The pioneer make 2 leads which run into the HDMI port and Bus port from there...

The second suits dock connector... It is a one piece lead which plugs into the dock plug on ipod and iphone 4 and plugs inot the bus port on the unit...

The last is a full Android kit for mirroring... Gives and MHL adaptor then a HDMI lead and and a power lead which plugs into the usb port on the rear of the unit...

Should be noted that I hate Apple... I use Android but I don't know why one would want to have to plug their phone in for every single short drive to get their music... So the intention is to use my ipod for music and navigation and leave it plugged in all the time with the dock connector... And then hopefully just bluetooth my phone for handsfree...

This is the intention anyway... Can't really play with one because they don't sell them here... Fingers crossed...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford

NSW, Australia

I just read through this thread and I got to say this is a fine example of well thought out and well executed modification that all function as good or better then originally designed.
well done mate.

be warned. I tell it how I see it.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hey man,

Appreciate the feedback... Try not to do things by halves and help inspire others to do big things and share some advice and findings...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey dude, i have the same problem with my XH, had it with the XH ECU and XH engine, then same thing with the AU ECU and XH engine, now still the same thing with the BA motor and AU ECU lol.

really does my head in tryna figure out what the problem is!
i was able to make the tune slightly more rich and its no where near as noticeable.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:19 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah cheers...

Didn't think it was over fuelling because I get no black smoke... So figured it may have been the opposite...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well got the new Appradio 3 installed and going and properly set up at long last...

Been fiddling with it for days just inside on a power supply to get the hang of it and work out how I wanted it installed... I tried android with an MHL adaptor and the lack of a good navigation app plus the need to find a power source to charge the phone makes it more painful...

A new ipod with a lightning connector needs the digital adaptor fitted so that it can get a video output... And that's messy and painful... So I just ended up swapping ipods with my brother for an ipod 4th gen touch which was the last with the dock connector...

It has just one cable which plugs between the headunit and the ipod and transmits all it needs down that... I think it is RGB and while not digital it more than enough resolution to do what I need...

It all works good... The screen when you first hit the key is a PITA and you can't turn it off but if you had a source playing before key off the source will resume again, so if the drive is short you don't have to accept it... Rear view camera will prioritise over it but and come up regardless of hitting OK or not...

It plays bluetooth audio great off android and will play/pause and skip songs all from the unit with the built in media player in android... Radio is good... Easy to use... AM is set up in the US increments... So for example our 963 AM station here, the closest I can get on the unit is 960... Only goes up in 10's... It does come through, just not 100% clear... FM comes up in all odd numbers... 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, etc etc... SO it works for Aust FM stations...

ipod plays just like an ipod on any other unit... On the top of ipod but, anyone who uses one for day to day or an iphone, what heaps of s**t... The itunes store is completely useless because if apple don't "approve" of an app you can't have it... At least android has an app for everything and anything is possible... Just thought I'd mention that...

The only issue with the ipod is when in appradi mode (with the app running on the ipod) the screen wont turn off... The headunit charges it but so that's no worries... The issue comes in (because apple is stupid) when you turn the car off and the ipod screen times out and locks you need to find your ipod to unlock the screen when you get back in so that appradio will connect once more... You can make the headunit auto connect to the ipod but then ipod still asks for your permission... I was expecting to find an app on itunes to make the ipod allow everything or make the screen turn off but not lock... But no apple don't want you to do that so you can't...

So if you need to use GPS its easier to set the screen to never time out and when you pack up for the night just manually lock the ipod and unlock it for the next day... Means keeping it within arms reach of the driver seat but... Does anyone with an iphone 4 know if you can make the screen turn off without the device locking? If the settings are more indepth on them I'll buy a secondhand iphone to run with it... If I gain nothing but I wont bother... Or even if you can "always allow connections" or something which ipod wont let you do...

The $80 navgate app by pioneer for use with appradio head units works great but... Very similar set up to what I had on the clarion before but 10 times faster and easier to use... The whole headunit is fast compared to the clarion I had... Fires up nearly instantly where the clarion could take 30 seconds before music playback resumed... And would forever glitch and jam or freeze... I've tried all combinations with this so far and once the ipod wouldn't open the keyboard and I had to reset it... Other than that it has been good... For $480 I'd get it again... On top of that but you need an ipod... The relevant cable to suit... And the $80 app for the gps...

Comes with the gps antenna, external mic and it's wiring... I also have my sub, radio buttons, ipod, reverse camera and radio antenna plugged in the back so it's quite busy... The all plug into the unit itself, instead of dangly cords like I've had before which are PITA because you have all these hanging "plugs and sockets" hanging in the back and then the ash tray wont fit... So this is clean behind compared to some...

Also it comes with no clip on bezel to dress the unit to the dash... So I'm working on that... I had an idea and a part ordered...

Also, my tune trapper antenna under the wiper cowling turned out to be rather useless for reception... Today turned up an Aerpro AP105 glass mount antenna which I got off ebay for under $30 but you'd be able to get it at any auto shop...

Looks like this:

Attachment:
ap105.jpg

This has an amplifier built in and you need to feed it 12v from the power antenna wire (it draws 55mA on my multimeter) Naturally it looks unattractive and I had no intention of sticking it to the window... It now lives under the cowling on top of the dash and is 100x on the tune trapper antenna... Works good when driving but it is possible to park in some bad places and not get a signal still... Was well worth it's $30 but...

And I'll get some photos shortly and add them up too...

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Pioneer Appradio 3 (SPH-DA210)

Also because it is a glass front it's a fingerprint magnet but you only see them with the light the wrong way...

Opening spash screen plus the max 35 degree front panel angle

Home screen

Ipod screen (Not throught appradio)

Radio Screen

Appradio Home Screen Shopping Installed Apps

Navgate Map

Navgate Menu

Navgate Search

General Photos

Mic for bluetooth

This headunit is worth having IMO... Any queries feel free to ask...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

What's got ya shocked man? 8-)

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah it's not a bad box...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 66 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 78  Next