Fordmods Logo

ToranaGuy - Got my kicks on Route 66! :-) 

Page 69 of 81 [ 1212 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 81  Next

Post subject: Re: ToranaGuys Build Thread - Ghia cyl head job lol
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Took a trip to Melton for a mates party last night, lots of flooding on the road out of Werribee, got some water on the balancer & the alternator belt started slipping badly. Got to Melton, and when I was about to leave, the damn thing snapped, less than 2wks old. There goes another one. Serp belt conversion is looking better with every passing week. Just a pitty it will cost a bit. I think I should start hoarding the parts soon.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Here's a pic of the plugs I took out of the engine, done about 1000kms. From right to left, 1 thru 6. Check out number 4 - doesn't even look like it's been firing at all! Almost doesn't look like it's been in the engine!

Only been running on petrol for now.

Chucked in a set of bpr6ey11's, which are ef/el LPG spec - these plugs are EB/ED Xr6 or LPG spec. I'm going to grab a new one from work soon & this set can be used again down the track. Running much better now it's firing on all cylinders, but still has a miss under extreme load, otherwise the miss is gone. I think the leads might be the cause of it, even tho they test resistance as ok. Going to chuck another set on it soon. For now, It's a 100% improvement over the way it was running.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ignition system faults are a curse.
Im having missfires under load with mine on gas. I reckon the Iridiums are the cause. Is better after fitting a Hi6 unit but still not right.
Went to change the plugs the other week only to find out my aluminium manifold gaskets are blocking access to the plugs.
Bought another set that should fit and work but that means I have to drop the extarctors off.............................. :evil:

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Ignition system faults are a curse.
Im having missfires under load with mine on gas. I reckon the Iridiums are the cause. Is better after fitting a Hi6 unit but still not right.
Went to change the plugs the other week only to find out my aluminium manifold gaskets are blocking access to the plugs.
Bought another set that should fit and work but that means I have to drop the extarctors off.............................. :evil:

That's a pita man! I've gotta drop the extractors to change the plugs on the red Xr8 soon, lucky I got the gaskets & plugs at the same time.

The Hi6 unit your talking about, is that just a coil or a full CDI box? I've got a Mallory 6AL sitting around, not being used atm. I thought about using it in the Ghia, but don't think it would be worth it. The 6AL would probably be better in my panel van.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

You did put plug number four in the engine, right? :roll:

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
You did put plug number four in the engine, right? :roll:

Yeah man I did, doesn't look like it does it?

I should remember to take it to work to swap it over tomorrow...keep forgetting to do that. Should also pickup my new valve cover gasket kit & new leads too lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Got a big weekend ahead, weather pending. It's going to go a little like this...

Saturday morning, change the oil pressure sender & maybe the positive battery lead, terminal & tidy up the wiring around the positive terminal. Then about lunchtime, give the Ghia an oil & filter change. Maybe even blow the dust outta the air filter too lol. It's only done about 3000kms, should be good with a clean for a few thousand more.

Saturday after lunch, my mate is bringing his NC v8 Fairlane over, and we have a big list with items like the following...
    Front rotors & pads, wheel bearings
    Rear pads
    Tie rod ends
    Oil & filter change
    Auto filter & oil service
    Wiper heads
    clean the engine
    Probably a few more things I'm forgetting

Next week it needs a few bushes done, and a couple of tyres fit, then it's ready for a roady.

That should take the two of us probably 3 to 4 hours to knock over, as well as a few can's of bundy too.

I picked up the wiring loom I need for the Red Xr8's LPG setup for a slab of vb the other day, so Sunday I hope to relocate the LPG closed loop mixture control box & rewire it to be nice & neat, then drop the extractors, swap the plugs & set the correct timing. Then just a few little things need to be done before I can get a permit & go for a roady on the Xr8.

I might make a start friday night after work if it's not cold & wet....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Hey matey - What do you need to do the auto replacement oil and filter? I have an auto that needs changing in the white ED, but the sump has a hole punched through it (Pick-A-Part sump drainage stylez...)
:|

So, was thinking of swapping sumps over. Got a torque converter and tranny out a late EF with a dipstick. Dipstick looked like quite nice red oil when checked before starting the removal process. Can I swap sump trays over easily without need for purchase new gaskets etc?

And since the white ED also needs a new head, I should really just go and chop the front off a EL out Pick-A-Part and pull the whole power plant and box out and drop the whole stinking load of crap into the ED. But guess having $200 to buy a motor and box is a problem.....!

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The auto & filter job is pretty easy, just a 10mm socket to undo the nuts on the pan, drop the old oil into a container, a screwdriver to lever the metal clip holding the filter off, then it pulls down, slap the new filter on & fit new gasket to pan. Repco part GFS85 for the filter & gasket, the repco dex3 5lt oil also has the additive for the ford BTR Auto boxes these days, so that can be used.

If the old gasket hasn't gone hard you might be able to reuse it. Then just fill the box with new oil, should take about 4 to 5ltrs.

I wouldn't bother with changing the whole engine & auto unless there is a lot of water in the sump & it's been sitting like that, as it will rust up all the internals. If it's only a little bit of water in the oil or just water in the bores, just swap another head onto it.

I know what you mean about having the cash being a problem, I've got a few things to get done around the place, no cash to do most of it atm. :(

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Found a weird issue tonight, when trying to tune my LPG Injection. I know it is patched into the ciggy lighter circuit for some of it's power. While I had my 600w inverter in there powering the laptop, due to it's flat battery, I noticed when the thermo fan's kicked on, the inverter would b**ch that it was loosing power, screeching at me.

What also happened might you be asking? The LPG ecu lost comms with the Laptop. Looks like I've got a voltage drop issue? I've got an idea to get around it, will try it tomorrow night. As for the proper fix, not really sure. This issue used to happen at times with the 110amp alternator in, atm I'm running a 75amp EB alternator again, well I think it's 75amp lol. Issue is more noticeable now.

Grrr, I hate wiring faults!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

A couple of pics of some of the work done on saturday on a mates Nc V8 Lane...

Fit new wheel bearings, rotors, pads & put a kit thru each front caliper. We also did a service on the auto, engine oil & filter as well. Fit new wiper heads, and bleed up the brakes, stops heaps better now, and closer to rwc too lol.

It still needs the tie rod ends, rack boots, a couple of bushs & a small bit of rust sorted as well, but those things will have to wait a few wks, other things to get done in the mean time.

I got a few little jobs done on the Ghia too, changed the engine oil & filter, swapped on a new set of leads, prepaired the positive battery cable to go on but didn't get that done. Swapped on my 17" ftr copies, as my tyres on the CSA's had too much camber wear, will get a couple new tyres soon.

Also removed most of the plugs from the red Xr8, found that 1 can't be removed with dropping the passenger side extractor, so tried to find an allen key to remove the allen head bolts - no love there, It's not 6mm & it's not 8mm, can't find a 1/4 key either. Need to put a 7mm & 1/4 allen keys on the shopping list lol.

I also need to get a couple of 44 gal drums to tidy up some of the scrap small parts I have at the back of my shed, like brake rotors, pads, stuffed starters, alternators & so on lol. I looked at gal dust bins at bunnings on monday night, way too expensive for the size, I'm watching some 44 gal drums on eBay atm, might pickup 4 or 5 soon.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've had a busy day, getting a few things organized. I picked up some drums that I will cut the tops off & make removable lids soon, so I can store old scrap car bits much neater before my next scrap run. Picked up a few little things at work today too.

I've gotta do an oil & filter change on the tx5 turbo tomorrow, as well as fit the new battery to it, then I need to replace the rear bar on the Ghia with a stock high series rear bar, as my fiance backed into the ghia the other day badly damaging the bar....looks like more work on my plate now. :(

Hope the weather holds out this weekend, got a lot to do again. It never ends does it?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Got the oil change done on the tx5 turbo today, and then went to work on the xr8. Damn, it's not a 7mm allen bit that I required. I think I'll go pickup a set of them tomorrow so I can get the plugs done & get the thing running.

So then I moved onto playing with the mighty boy. Pulled the intake setup off, can't see any cracks, but did notice that it seems I have the wrong intake for the cylinder head. My manifold has extra coolant passages that the head doesn't have. This could cause coolant to leak past the intake gasket & into the runners.

Which would get into the engine, and if any get's past the rings due to the spark getting put out, it would end up in the oil. Grrrr, why does s**t have to be so hard?

Seems I have the wrong intake manifold on the engine.

Some pics... intake manifold - pre EGR type.

Intake manifold - EGR type. The cylinder head on the F5a engine I have has extra holes in it to mate up to the extra holes in the manifold.

Trouble with just swapping the manifolds over is that I then need to change the exhaust manifold to a pre EGR type, which I thought I had one, but it seems I don't! :oops:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Spent most of this arvo piss f@rt around with the passenger extractor on the red Xr8. Had to remove it to do spark plug #5, can't get at it with the extractor on the engine. :( While it was out I did a little adjusting of the extractors with my bench vice. Only took a couple of mins to fit it back in now that you can get better access to the bolts lol.

Fit a new set of plugs, Bosch Hr7DPX, and wired the leads back up. Fired it up & it's running reasonable, but it has a vac leak. Bugger! I wonder, do I need to remove the plenum to do the pcv grommet?

I'll put up a few pics a bit later.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Pics time... I tended to the Eb Ghia's central locking issue the other night. Found this, central locking motor was incorrectly fit by the panel beaters when the door was replaced last time it was in for accident repairs (I was backed into)

It's been secured & working 100% again. Yay.

Scrounged thru the shed and found one of my 2 sets of thermo fan's I had buried in there. Fit them to the red Xr8. Just need to install the wiring loom now. I've got an idea or two that will make this install neater than the one I did in my Eb Ghia, just need to do a wreckers run to get a few small sections of wiring, going to make up a patch lead for the a/c clutch instead of hacking into the wiring, as well as another idea I won't let out of the bag just yet.

Passenger side extractor, took hours to remove so I could change the plugs, glad I did tho, the old plugs were on their last legs. Fit some Bosch platinum plugs, should be good for a few years of "extra car" duties lol. Also massaged the primaries with the bench vice a tad, much easier to get them to fit now! Only took a matter of minutes to refit.

E7 gaskets Vs Gt40p gaskets(top)

Some tools I bought to remove the extractors, they had allen head bolts holding them on.

Oil change & new battery for the Tx5 turbo.

Just to show how nerdy I can be at times, I had issues with my NAS box not long ago, so I had to whoop out the "Black Book" to help me sort them out. Every leet haxor has a copy of the "black book", it's even referenced in a number of movies lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 69 of 81  [ 1212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 81  Next