Fordmods Logo

ToranaGuy - Got my kicks on Route 66! :-) 

Page 67 of 81 [ 1212 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 81  Next

Post subject: Re: ToranaGuys Build Thread - Xr8 Runs!
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I ended up going around to my mates place about 11pm on Sunday night, and helping get the timing chain, guides, cover & head back on the engine in his EF. We gave up about 1:30am this morning, as we both needed to clean up & go to bed, both had to work today...

Was rather hard haulin my butt outta bed, I can tell you, however he now only needs to fit a couple of new lifters to his rocker gear, install that, the valve cover & then fill up with some cheapy oil & new filter to flush the engine, then dump it, swap for a good filter & oil. That might get done wednesday, we are both busy until then.

If all goes well, I should have shed space to do my head gasket this weekend lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Pulled the head of the spare 6cyl engine in my shed tonight, bores look good, very little lip. Head gasket was sealed very well, going to drop it off to be decked & cleaned tomorrow, so I can do the head gasket job on the EB Ghia on saturday, all things going well.

I noticed a fair few shavings in the timing chain area, glad I didn't just replace the timing gear & flush the engine out, it needs a full tear down & clean up. I think I'll have to check the crank, if it's not bad, get it machined, hone the bores & rebuild this bottom end, it's only got about 170k on it.

No pics atm, maybe over the weekend.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Wow. Find some deeper dish pistons and use AU conrods whilst you're there matey?!!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Maybe down the track. Will have to wait & see.

Upon a clean & inspection, 9 valves were bent, and there was a couple of little cracks in the head, so it got a full reco & new valves. $530 later, I've got a head ready to go on the Ghia tomorrow.

Didn't really need that expense right now, but once it's running good again & can go back to running on LPG & save some fuel monies to help pay off the extra $530 I had to slap on the credit card lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Done the head gasket on Saturday in the Ghia, in my mates shed, many thanks Tom! Timing is out a bit, sounds too advanced, but it runs, will look at checking it with a timing light Sunday morning. For now I'm happy enough to not have coolant leaking in the the cylinders. I've got a few pics, will post some up soon.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I threw the Ghia into diag & checked the timing, looks like it's close enough, but not sure it entered diag mode properly, the rev's did go up & down, but it went back to idling at stock idle, I thought it was supposed to idle faster in diag mode?

Anyway, timing was sitting slightly advanced, retarded it to spot on the mark with a small tweak of the dizzy. Drives a bit better, but something is still up, slight miss still. I think it's in the engine harness, it idles fine, doesn't try to stall any time, seems to run reasonably on fuel economy.

Anyway, a couple of pics. I'll have to grab a couple more off my mate's facebook acct. Here's the reco head sitting infront of my pc monitors. Yep 2 monitors on this pc.

Look at how much carbon is missing off #6! I didn't clean it off, that was from coolant leakage! 2 other pots were like that too. I didn't use the AU MLS type gasket, as I don't think this bottom end is worth it, it's a tad loose, but nothing bad. I'll save my MLS gasket that is worth like 3x the price of this one for the rebuild of the spare engine in the shed I think. Yes I used new head bolts, intake & extractor gaskets, didn't replace the valve cover gasket & should have, I'll be picking one up from work shortly.

All up cost me about $680, the head was $530, rest was gaskets, head bolts, oil x2 bottles, filters, spark plugs & so on. I've gotta dump the oil again this weekend & fill it with fresh stuff, already included in the price. Gotta love staff pricing on parts @ work, saved me a bit on this job.

Maybe this weekend I'll get the brakes fixed on the red Xr8? Been meaning to fix them for a couple weeks now. :roll:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Post subject: Re: ToranaGuys Build Thread - Ghia cyl head job lol
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

hey toranaguy.
i didnt realise they could fix cracked heads. do you have any idea on how they do it?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
hey toranaguy.
i didnt realise they could fix cracked heads. do you have any idea on how they do it?

I believe it depends on where the crack is, what they do is to cut it open & then weld it back up, then machine it to the correct shape.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
bry40l wrote:
hey toranaguy.

I believe it depends on where the crack is, what they do is to cut it open & then weld it back up, then machine it to the correct shape.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

ok i thought it would be welding or similar, thanks

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

they TIG weld it

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm sure there's probably a vid on youtube in regards to head welding anyway.

Today I tightened up the front wheel bearings & bleed the brakes with the help of my cousin Brandon. Brakes come on earlier but they don't feel much better, they are s**t bursons pads that I stuck in there a couple of years ago now, and the discs are getting rather worn, I might have to see what the spare set I have is like, see if machining them is worth it or not & throw on some new pads.

Also found a wire in the engine bay that has had a poor repair job done on it before I owned the ghia, so might see if I get time for a wrecker run to get a piece to fix it properly, as the damage is too close to a connector to fix easy, I'll go cut a bit off another car with a connector on it lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
...Also found a wire in the engine bay that has had a poor repair job done on it before I owned the ghia, so might see if I get time for a wrecker run to get a piece to fix it properly, as the damage is too close to a connector to fix easy, I'll go cut a bit off another car with a connector on it lol...

When I did my manual conversion, somehow I snagged the brake warning connector on the engine's way out. It ripped the female pins out of the connector lol. Fixed with a wreckers section.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
When I did my manual conversion, somehow I snagged the brake warning connector on the engine's way out. It ripped the female pins out of the connector lol. Fixed with a wreckers section.

That would have p****d you right off man. It's exactly what I'm thinking about doing, either that or swapping the ecu loom out for a spare I have, as iirc this pink wire is on the ecu loom, but a loom swap is a lot more work than a good repair.

I also had a look at my spare cam in the shed, got evil thoughts about getting it reground by wade & fitting a j3 chip as well, once the engine is running smooth again.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Friday night, split the v8 & auto apart, got the engine on the dolly.

Just in-case anyone only thinks that I work on car's & computers, I can cook too!

Roo steaks, almost done...

Veal Cashew Masala

Served with dimi's & Pepsi :-)

A lazy pasta night at my puter, note the Nolathane counter top thingy lol!

Nacho's! Because 2am nacho's when your on the piss is just ace!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Dude, you're making me hungry.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Sort by  
 Page 67 of 81  [ 1212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 81  Next