Fordmods Logo

Troymans ed build from the begining.. 

Page 22 of 114 [ 1706 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 114  Next

Post subject: Re: troymans ed build.
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

well after starting it up today i dont thing anyone is going to buy it the way it is.. :(
its now that smokey it fouls the plugs up after 5 mins of running..

so im either going to look for a el engine to throw in.. or wreck it out...
take a look at this vid clip and tell me what you think..
in the vid when the revs are only held at about 2200rpm..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigTWRwMdJ4

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: supercharged eb

NSW, Australia

i think find a nother bottem end to put in troy it would be a really big shame to throw all the hard work out the window ,,,,vote 1 not to sell

..My fake plant died because I forgot to pretend to water it..

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

svo_matt wrote:
i think find a nother bottem end to put in troy it would be a really big shame to throw all the hard work out the window ,,,,vote 1 not to sell

I agree svo_matt

The rest of the car is fine isn't it Troy? Why throw all that away because of an engine? Dime a dozen and easily replaced. If I had gone the way you are thinking, I would have gotten rid of my ED wagon a long time ago. But now I have a car I want to keep for a very long time. Just grab another engine and chuck it in, then go on enjoying all the hard work you put into the car...

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Seems really odd that there was no smoke till you changed the head... did you clean a heap of carbon off the piston tops or something?

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I just had a look at the video.

Thats crazy Troy, what on earth could go wrong on the bottom end to cause that?

I thort you where a boxcar fan, why would you let this stop you after all the work you have put into this car?

Josh

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My God! Just watched the video.... it does have valve stem seals doesn't it? That is some serious oil burning!!!!!! Seems really strange to start happening only after you changed the head.....

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:52 am 

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Seems really odd that there was no smoke till you changed the head... did you clean a heap of carbon off the piston tops or something?

no just a straight head and cam swap

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:54 am 

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
svo_matt wrote:

I agree svo_matt

The rest of the car is fine isn't it Troy? Why throw all that away because of an engine? Dime a dozen and easily replaced. If I had gone the way you are thinking, I would have gotten rid of my ED wagon a long time ago. But now I have a car I want to keep for a very long time. Just grab another engine and chuck it in, then go on enjoying all the hard work you put into the car...

Cheers
RD

i am a box car fan but after throwing over 1 g into a new head and have this happen is pretty frustrating..

i thought there was a problem the day after getting the head and stage 3 cam fitted.
the car was blowing smoke and the car only got 150km to a full tank of petrol. the car had trouble idling and the ecu wouldnt learn idle, a few days after the head was fitted the plugs and o2 sensor had fould up.
so i cleaned the 02 sensor and plugs, re-fitted the old cam and its now good on fuel again but day by day the oil smoke is getting worse..
after i filmed that clip one of the plugs fould up and it droped a cyl.
the smoke does get lighter when the engine is hot but still is bad..

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I can understand your frustration and your reaction is somewhat normal. However, the key here is the head. Before fitting that you didn't have problems. Have you spoken to the people that built the thing about these issues? There has to be something in there that is causing oil to get into the combustion chambers. I would say that the ECU is just getting confused with all the strange info it is getting from the engine.

For the price of a head gasket & bolts, throw another stock head on until you can get to the bottom of it. The whole car needn't suffer because of this problem, especially in our world where most are proficient at changing engines etc.

If you have the luxury of time on your hands and alternative transport, take a step back and think through what has been done before parting out/selling the car.

Cheers
RD

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Troydude - another AU motor? WTF. Surely it's not worth wrecking over? At least keep it all so that when you decide the look of your BA needs upgrading you can simply but the B series motor in the E.

;)

Never mind me - I've just caused myself issues too. Not as bad as yours, which I am thankful for as I wouldn't know where to start with a head causing that much pollution. Wish I was the super mechanic and could simply provide the stunning answer from left field for you, but am far from it.

If you do have the money, working on dumping and phattening a later model Lane or Mont would be pretty cool. The B monts look too damn like the poverty pack B's tho....!

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:44 am 

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
I can understand your frustration and your reaction is somewhat normal. However, the key here is the head. Before fitting that you didn't have problems. Have you spoken to the people that built the thing about these issues? There has to be something in there that is causing oil to get into the combustion chambers. I would say that the ECU is just getting confused with all the strange info it is getting from the engine.

For the price of a head gasket & bolts, throw another stock head on until you can get to the bottom of it. The whole car needn't suffer because of this problem, especially in our world where most are proficient at changing engines etc.

If you have the luxury of time on your hands and alternative transport, take a step back and think through what has been done before parting out/selling the car.

Cheers
RD

yea i took the car to where the head was done and after a few tests ive been told its the bottom end(rings)
the extra comp from using the au gasket and shaving the head has put to much load on the bottom end.??
mainly no 3 and no 5 cyl.
so im now hunting afound for a low km el engine...

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ef futura/ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

i'd say that your rings were on there way out and the 3 cam finished them off!

custom airbox,custom intake
paccie comps,lukey 2.5 cat back,high flow cat
CMS stg2 head,CMS stg2.A. cam,CMS hybrid auto with mod shift,3.9 lsd
custom 3500rpm hi stall
ANZ mayhem 18's,custom interior,venom body kit,xr wing,jumbo 2' low springs
143rwkw and 407rwnm on CMS dyno

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 am 

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
Troydude - another AU motor? WTF. Surely it's not worth wrecking over? At least keep it all so that when you decide the look of your BA needs upgrading you can simply but the B series motor in the E. If you do have the money, working on dumping and phattening a later model Lane or Mont would be pretty cool.
Never mind me - I've just caused myself issues too. Not as bad as yours, which I am thankful for as I wouldn't know where to start with a head causing that much pollution. Wish I was the super mechanic and could simply provide the stunning answer from left field for you, but am far from it.The B monts look too damn like the poverty pack B's tho....!

no this was the original ed motor..i just changed to the port and polished head as the gasket had decided to blow and i thought why not get more oompf while im there?..
and the car has got no more oompf and burns oil aswell..

and after looking at b series fairmont ghias .. im not keen on the interior. its kind of plain.
but the au fairlane and fairmont ghias have a fantastic interior its a shame the au body isnt that good to look at.

Last edited by TROYMAN on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 am 

NSW, Australia

Quote:
"green machine"

i'd say that your rings were on there way out and the 3 cam finished them off!

thats what its looking like..
the combination of higher comp,huge cam, just put to much on the rings..

so im now looking for a el engine to put this head on..

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
yea i took the car to where the head was done and after a few tests its the bottom end(rings)...the extra comp from using the au gasket and shaving the head has put to much load on the bottom end. mainly no 3 and no 5 cyl.

Ahah. Thanks for that. My tired old EF was / is going to get a Wade 1673 and a shaved and ported head with the stronger and thinner AU gasket and bolt combination. I figure I'll be smoking big time such as yourself. Ah well, okay then. This gives me reason to possibly get an AU engine after all and then go about putting a XR6 EF or worked EF head on it so that I can still go with the 1673.

Awesome Troy. Just how much work is it to change rings if you have the motor out?
Remember I am just a novice with theories and a willingness to learn.

And those AU Fairmont Ghias do have a nice interior. I'm sure you'll work out a way to put the seats, dash and door linings into your box car Troy. May require all sorts of new and dodgy techniques such as chopping door trims and stitching to chopped E trims. Taking an angle grinder to all the seats. Welding brackets everywhere for the dash, and filling a few gaps with space invader and gluing black suede or leather over the top.

You can do it Troyfella, you can.

Last edited by fiend on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sort by  
 Page 22 of 114  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 114  Next