Fordmods Logo

turbo wills new boosted ef project now 12.10@126.5mph 

Page 2 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: turbo wills new boosted ef project
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Will do mate, just looking for ideas on how to run the cold side with abs atm.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:14 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Got the cooler mounted with some brackets and trimmed the bar a little for clearance on th RHS. Piping next and have to squeeze in trans cooler behind intercooler.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Looking good mate

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:15 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Woo Hoo the ef finally has some boost up it!! Spent most of today doing cooler piping. Did the hot side in 2.5" with piping running under coolant bottle area as a one piece pipe. Moved the main hose from coolant bottle to overflow from under battery tray to around it for clearance. Cold side is 2 piece in 3" runs next to abs module, didnt spend too much time as it will all be changed when the plenum goes on. Bar fit back on with very little trimming thank goodness.

Went for a run and hit boost cut straight away so we removed the manual boost controller with boost sitting on around 10psi now. Goes ok but nothing special as its only running 18 degrees timing on boost and still injecting the same 1.5L/min water so is far from optimum and breaks down at 5000rpm probably from too much water for the power and not enough timing. Will work on the tune tomorrow and go back to one m10nozzle, goin on the adelaide eseries cruise so should get some kms on it.

Egts are mega way high have hit 982degrees C so more timing should drop that a bit, blistered the paint on the bonnet already, our blue el with the same kit and no heatbag hasnt affected the paint in 6months boosting, wierd. Any way took lots of pics, hopefully they help someone out as i had some trouble finding piping pics so here they are.

Cold side 3.5" hole top

Cold side 3.5' hole bottom

Bar on

Hot side

Hot side

Coolant hose relocation

Cold side lower with water inj nozzles and 7th inj

Cold side upper

Eng bay cold side piping to bbm

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Took this out for a good drive on the adelaide eseries cruise, did 250kms in it and got some good dattalogging in. Few issues have cropped up that need sorting. Going up the steep freeway sitting on 3000rpm had the temp gauge in the red prity quickly, had to pull over and let it cool down so i will need to swap in my good radiator. Egts were off the gauge over 1000c. Then when i jumped back in the brake pedal was hard as a rock. Popped the bonnet again and found the booster had melted even with the dump pipe heatwrapped so i will need a new one and have to make a heatshield. Also need a turbo beannie!

Im still having trouble with spark blow out above 4500rpm on full boost, ive tried new plugs gapped to .8mm and leads with no change. Tried reducing gaps to .6mm with no luck. Going to try a spare coilpack see how that goes.

Last edited by turbo_will on Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

How'd you go with the intake pipe ? Does it rub on the bonnet or intake manifold ?

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:10 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

intake pipe was a quick hack job as ive got a plenum for this waiting to go on, it rubs on the bonnet a little and the manifold lol but dosnt rattle or vibrate

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:46 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Did a fair bit today, replaced the leaky power steer pump. Then i fitted the radiator from my last ef which was lucky to be 100kms old, only to find that it now pisses out coolant from the core to endtank join, WTF! Ended up cleaning the old one up for now. Replaced the melted booster and made some heat shields too.

Changed the coilpack and went for a drive it was still breaking down/ missing on full boost above 4000rpm. Tried to increase/decrease timing above 4grand, no change. Tried increasing/decreasing fuel too. Thought since it has a wierd miss at idle and low revs at light load (sounds like ignition is turned off then back on quickly) that maybe ecu is suss so changed that and crank angle sensor. Still no good. Finally i thought maybe ill try another set of new plugs. Threw in some ngk bpr6ey's this time i left the gap at stock .8mm instead off gapping to .6mm as i did before. Went much better but still not 100%. Removed fuel so afrs were between 12-12.5 above 4grand and it loved it clean and crisp sounding now! Timing is at 20-22 degrees on boost and makes 11psi. Did a few runs on the gtech got best of 5.79 0-100 and 104mph over the 1/4. Gets plenty of wheelspin as boost comes on in 1st and into 2nd a bit so traction would see these times get better.

Still have the funny miss/cut at idle and also sometimes when its started it runs mega rich for some reason, foot flat to the floor it will only rev to 3grand and fills the street with black smoke. Turn the key off and start it again and its perfect again. Really wierd s**t damn car! And it dosnt seem to be a chip problem as pumps dont stay on and fans not running continuously.

Heres some pics of heatshields made from acl heat shielding material.

BBQed booster

1st heat shield

2nd heat shield

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Well im having major tuning issues/spark blow out especially over 4500-5000rpm. Car is acting really wierd, i cant run any richer on full boost above 4grand than 12afr or it bangs like mad out exhaust. Laptop battery s**t it too dosnt last long enough to get much done got a new one on order.

I havnt blown it up yet though, but its not quick at all yet. Trying to get a decent tune on 1bar before adding cam then plenum to see the changes. Im going to try gap the plugs down lots try 16tho, ive tryed with water inj off and it does the same thing. Makes it hard tuning as boost increases 1psi from 1st to 3rd and that throws afr out 1 point making 3rd go as lean as 13arf. Need to sort this issue out asap, have new black bosch leads and ive tryed another coilpack. Tryed bpr6es and bpr7es gapped to stock .8mm with no luck. Timing was at 20-22 on 11-12psi and now 14-16 on 15-16psi, plugs stay clean.

Whats the most people have managed out of stock ef/au coilpack setups?

Also just recived my brand new j3 chip from TI Performance, many thanks to Jason for getting it to me before heathcote!

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

not an ef, but my ed with the dizzy runs ngk bp7es gapped down to .6mm and can take 18psi without spark blow out, at .7 gap it starts blowing spark out at 15psi..

you would think the coil pack could supply better spark than a dizzy and coil set up???

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

I would have thought the same troyman. On my last eb with stock ignition but all new stuff i could run .8mm gap up to 20psi. Hopefully gapping them down will solve this although i still thing there must bean issue somewere with something in the edis system.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:53 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Got my turbo beanie on cuts temps down heaps

So i have finally sussed out the blowout/backfiring issue!!! After 600kms of trying everything under the sun i went back to an old tune i had for my eb and problem gone! This is after changing all ignition hardware, trying plug gaps from .4-1mm, protruding and non protruding plugs and spending days messing with the tune etc. It was really wierd as the afrs would be steady and then it would hit a wall backfiring out the exhaust like a machine gun. No change richer or leaner, more or less timing made any change.

What ive worked out is the low injector slope of 19 was to blame, no idea how but as soon as its set to 28lbs its fine again. Should have listened to jasons advice in the first place to raise slope haha im just baffled as to why the stock 19lb slope cant work with a modded ve table etc.

Had a major oil leak too, turned out the back sump gasket bolts were finger tight, least the undercar is rust proofed oil was dripping off back muffler!

Ive fitted my old gizzmo ebc and started off setting up for 1bar boost, found that it was breaking down in the top end but sounded completely different to the above tune issues. With water off it went away, so i removed one m10 nozzle leaving just the one, seems to go best like this. It seems to love timing, started on 12-14 and it sounded fluffy till the advance was 16, currently 18-20 with water on and sounds clean. Raised the limiter to 5900rpm as even in econ it would hit the limiter on 1-2change. Got some good 1st 2nd power skids in, trying to launch on boost with 205s just makes a smoke show haha.

So tomorrow im going to chuck the cam in and retune.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:24 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Less than a week till heathcote drags still so much to do! Fitted wade 1521a today, fair decent improvement, boost comes on very violently now. On the same tune it moved afrs 1-2 points leaner so must be moving more air.

Had a bit of a scare today under boost heard a loud squeeling noise, lucky it was just a popped intercooler hose off the compressor, fitted a new one with heatwrap this time.

Next is fitting backfire plate to the plenum then fitting that along with longer accel cable etc ready for tuning and more boost if theres fuel spare in the tune, stab table is in the 7afrs now and ve 100%. Really hope i dont break it till drags haha

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:24 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Got heaps done today, fit up the plenum with backfire plate (as ive blown it up twice before). Also finally got an airfilter on it, slack i no. Good new is the plenum gives s**t more power probably twice the gain from the cam if not more, still on 15psi. I started out upping the fuel on boost and got on it in 2nd afrs went out to 15 real quick. Had to set stab afr table from mid 7s to 6 so heaps more fuel!

Bad news is ive broken it already, only blown headgaskets so easy fix, job for tomorrow. Made the mistake of leaving timing at 18-20degrees after fitting plenum, should have reduced it. With just the cam the plugs were clean and det free, now number 6 is bloody obvious dont need a magnifying glass to see the balls on porcalin. Oh well could have been worse if it had mls gaskets itd probably have a dead bottom end. Car still drove ok just it pressurised the header tank and had wierd miss at idle. All cyls tested at 120psi comp.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:22 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Just finished up the tune on 15psi, what a major pain in the a**, the ignition system has been giving me grief with s**t spark. No matter what i tryed i could not get it to stop breaking down in the top of 2nd and 3rd with 2xm10 water nozzles. Tryed leaning it off, plug gaps from 0.4-1.0mm, swapped back to a genuine bosch coil not aftermarket, the only thing that seemed to make it better was more timing. I was amazed by how much timing it would take with 2 m10s, i stopped at 26degrees and still no signs of det and it makes great power like that till it breaks down at high revs. Roll ons in 2nd from 80 odd kms were getting way sideways till power disapears from blowout. Tryed going back to one nozzle and it still suffered missfires in the top of third. It drives me crazy that my old eb with its dizzy and single coil could run both m10s and 20psi boost with a .8mm gap and no issues yet this thing with its edis and effectively 3 coils sucks a**.

Unfortunately this has left me no choice but to run no water and F**k all timing. Good news is it pulls clean to the limiter now! Started with 10-12degrees and moved up to 12-14degrees with netted extra 3mph on the gtech. Plugs are still clean so ill give it a bit more tweaking at the track this weekend. Off the trailer im guessing between 110-115mph and work from there.

I havnt cained this at night before and its insane how much glowing there was when i popped the bonnet after some hard runs with not much timing. Even the dump pipe was glowing through the heatwrap down to the steering rack haha no wonder stuff melts so easily!

Loading it on the trailer tomorrow ready for the trip to vic, cant wait!!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next