Fordmods Logo

XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!! 

Page 9 of 22 [ 323 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next

Post subject: Re: XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!!
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Thanks for the kudos mate.
IMO too the dash conversion wouldn't be complete without E series door trims - Pepeguts has a thread showing the inner door skins swapped out. So fair amount of work.
xf84 wrote:
Is there a difference between the V8 and 6 dash loom connections? (I dont see why there would be). Reason being I may have found a cheapish 6 NL for sale over here in Perth. Wasn't sure if I required the V8 though.
Nah, be okay.
xf84 wrote:
I didn't even know about the vacuum res. Thats an interesting one. So theres a big long vacuum line that runs in there??
Yeah, you'll need to run one from the drivers kickpanel, along the lower windscreen - I think you'll find the XH one will be too big to keep.
I know this because I'm looking at fitting an EL PAB to the XH dash - using the XH dash section as it's lid.
xf84 wrote:
My ute has the handbrake holes already, and I have the handbrake. I wasn't keen at all in changing the handbrake mech on the diff, I was ganna try join the handbrake cable section to where the ute's "L" bracket is (if that makes sense!!) Seems much easier, if it will work... haven't looked yet.
Nah, I welded the bracket's on BenJ's diff - PITA !!!
Have a look at banarcus's ED V8 wagon build - he made up a lever setup to do this -has pics. The EF/EL travel is a lot less than the EB/ED/XH.

I agree with you regarding trims - If I do the dash, I'll have to do the trims. I would be keen on running electric windows as well. Wouldn't use XF motors though, I would use a retro kit - I can't think of the name right now, but I saw it at Summernats 2 years ago. Was $200 and fits into any regular wiper setup. Works a treat... I think the company was "blue...." something?

Whats your thoughts on the plastic cover on the doors, the one on the inner side of electric mirrors? Can you just cut the EL/NL one to size without making it look puss?

I read through barnarcus's thread. I'm not sure what you mean with the handbrake. Are you saying the short throw of the EL one will not be enought to pull the existing setup tight (enough to stop car rolling?) I'm not keen at all on changing the rear discs over...

Can I not join the small tail that hangs off the EL handbrake to where the stock XH one connects? I really need to test fit to see I suppose... Hard to imagine while I'm behind this computer.

Waggin wrote:
How much do the rocker covers foul by? You could always go for a phenolic spacer to avoid using the ugly stock covers.

Do the pulleys on the KB line up right on the HO serp setup or do you need to make some modifications?

The covers I have now are way too tall. You can get aftermarket ones to fit, as long as they are 'stock' height. I will be running a phenolic spacer as well anyway. I don't mind too much about using the stock overs. I really love the way the VHT wrinkle paint comes out!!

Yes, the KB lines up no problem. I just had a flick through your thread. An awesome setup you have on the way!! I'd love a dart 363 one day!! When you order the KB kit (if you do), make sure you order the 94/95 mustang kit. The 87-93 kit has a longer snout which wont work with our 5.0l.

You need to get a braket made to support the snout. Jeff (XH5LWPN) is helping me with mine, and he had a bracket from top of power steering support to the snout (I think you can use the old holes from the coil holder).

Saying all that, I recently saw a new release blower coming out - must be the one you are talking about in your thread? 1.9 or 2.3L kit. You can run an intercooler which is the biggest thing!! A bit pricey, but I reckon it would be worth it on a setup like yours!!

I'll be running a snow stage II water/meth injection kit to try keep the KB cool. Will run 2 x nozzles in the back of flowzilla pipe, just before the rotors. Its main purpose is to keep everything cool, and not run more timing - mainly to keep it safe incase the pump fails

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

xf84 wrote:
Whats your thoughts on the plastic cover on the doors, the one on the inner side of electric mirrors? Can you just cut the EL/NL one to size without making it look puss?
Dunno, never done it - pepeguts thread covers it ??
xf84 wrote:
I read through barnarcus's thread. I'm not sure what you mean with the handbrake. Are you saying the short throw of the EL one will not be enought to pull the existing setup tight (enough to stop car rolling?) I'm not keen at all on changing the rear discs over...
Correct - Mark made a lever out of the existing one - pics are there.
xf84 wrote:
Can I not join the small tail that hangs off the EL handbrake to where the stock XH one connects? I really need to test fit to see I suppose... Hard to imagine while I'm behind this computer.
Need the modded lever.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

I just looked over the threads again.

Yeah the handbrake should be pretty easy to sort out. Cheers

That XF ute came up a real treat!! Looks factory!! Can't believe those door trims. I'm pretty much sold on the idea, and lucky I have some EF trims I can also practice with before fitting some NL ones. I notice he used the XF style plastics to cover the inner side of mirror...too easy.

I wonder if he took your advice and used the heat gun to mould those few bits? He never mentioned it in the end...

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, have to do mine - have all the bits and measured the respective primary cable travels. EF/EL handbrake will fit alongside the EB/ED/XH console.

Yeah, hot air gun worked well when I converted a non PAB dash to a PAB one.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG ute

QLD, Australia

Hi mate, just read your story so far and was blown away. I better start living!!!, look forward to the next chapters. Best of luck, Ray. :D :D

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Snap - thanks mate :)

Razza - Cheers!! :)

Ok, so took my time today removing everything else from the engine bay. Firstly I removed the guards.

I ended up finding this little culprit stuck somewhere… would you belive this is the nut from inside the air box housing (MAF screws into it). I forgot to mention before cos I lost this – but it had fallen outta the air box, and made its way into my plenum!! Could have been a disaster!! When I pulled the cobra manifold off 2 weeks ago it sounded like a paint can, so I shook it around and this fell out… VERY LUCKY!!

Anyway, today my mind was ticking over trying to plan how far I was going to take this stage/ if it was worth my while hiding wiring etc. I spent a while trying to figure out where the best route was to run driver side loom. I have never hidden wiring before, so this is new to me… I wasn’t too keen on making any new holes. Ended up asking a mate’s advice, and he mentioned the hole that the fender indicator wiring comes out of…. Looks good to me (just need to open it up a bit)

Couldn’t get these off for the life of me, so cut em. Will have to change em to something else anyway, as I think this setup fouls on the KB

Ganna hide this contraption in the passenger side guard.

Cut this rusted POS out to make way for the big intake piping

Pull out the remaining air con stuff, and was left looking like this

Even though some of this will be cut out for the intake, thought I’d try take care of the rust that was forming under the battery tray….seems to be a common thing

Wire brush on the drill…

Found a very small surface spot here too. Better do this as well….

First used rust converter, then wait 30mins. Clean and Paint with some killrust enamel I had laying around (Blue – I had to use this a lot on my XF!! :))

I wasn’t keen on this stuff that joins the seams along the firewall. Well, its everywhere in the engine bay. It looked really bad on the firewall though (big chunky, saggy sections). So took to it with a wire brush. Painted with some primer for now so it doesn’t rust. I’m assuming it’s similar to body filler? Hope it’s not too structural, as I don‘t see how it could be….

Don’t know if I’ve got the motivation to do that for the rest of the engine bay – it was only supposed to be a ‘quick paint job’. I suppose this is how it begins!! ;)

I didn’t have time to start today, but I need to remove the dash, wiring and heater box. Will remove the brake boost (which is stuffed anyway), then it should be sweet to ride on a tow truck down to panel beaters…

I would really like to have the dash out before this weekend, but I have a lot on this week so we’ll see how we go… :)

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

xf84 wrote:
Ended up asking a mate’s advice, and he mentioned the hole that the fender indicator wiring comes out of…. Looks good to me (just need to open it up a bit)
Can run the vaccy reservoir line through there too - if you intend putting in the EF/EF dash.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Nice work. I think that stuff you removed from the seams is what is known as seam sealer, designed to keep crap & moisture out of the seems?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Snap, noted mate cheers. At this point I'm waiting until engine is running before the dash conversion. For the simple fact I can't afford to throw another spanner in the works with so much happening at once.

Once the car is running, I'll do the conversion... :)

Toranaguy, no problem. Cheers for the info!

In other news, I got this from Summitracing in the mail today! :)

Still waiting on another box load (had to split the order to avoid tax)

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No probs Dude.
xf84 wrote:
Ganna hide this contraption in the passenger side guard.
You should be able to remove it entirely - that's the BBM manifold switching solenoid isn't it ??? - I forgot this car started life as an XR6.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Yeah I was trying to work out if I could completely remove it...

I got the green (heater control) and black (vacuum) coming thru firwall still. Surely I can just put the black one back on the manifold and the green one back on the heater tap....

then cut that whole unit away...

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:51 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, have to check the vacuum line chart in the Gregory's.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Update time… A semi productive day today…

Got the rest of my Summit gear in the mail a few days ago

First thing to come out was the dash

Climate control removal….Anyone got any tips for replacing the old sealer padding stuff?

Brake booster out. Got the new one there to replace it, as its stuffed…

Removal of underlay, pedal box, steering wheel etc

The plan is to hide this:

Ok, so I’m now thinking I’m ganna have to get rid of some holes…

This is testing out where I plan to run the bonnet release cable. Seems it will fit no problem, and wont be able to see it!! :)

After seeing it all bare, I got some motivation to scope out how hard it would be to convert the handbrake to an EL one… I ended up just doing it. Means I could get the ugly handbrake hole welded up on the firewall as well. Not no mention I’m still keen on putting the NL dash in once the car is running….not game enough to attempt a full rewire with so much happening atm

Pics:
As you can see, I made a hole in the floor for the cable. The handbrake itself bolted straight down, but there was no hole for the cable (not that I could see). I decided to make it face forward, with intention of setting up a little pulley system.

The stock handbrake had a fair throw on it to lock the brakes, where as the EL one has stuff all throw. There’s no way I’m swapping the brakes etc over, so wanted to make it work with as little modification as possible. I’ve tried to take some pics, so you can sorta see how it works. For now, I’ve only used some cable to link it up – that will be removed. I will use a steel bar, and pivot it off the chassis rail. It will link up with cable to the stock lever underneath, and another cable linking back to the EL handbrake. I will offset the pivot point to give the ratio required to lock the calipers on….

That probably makes no sense, but once it’s finished I’ll update the pics. Didn’t have time to get to bunnings today…

She’s looking pretty bare now!!

And I seem to be running out of room in my garage

Having second thoughts about the engine bay, and how far to take it… I have done some welding before (not much!), but was considering borrowing a mate’s MIG to try my hand at some of the small holes. The bigger ones I’ll leave to the experts when it goes to paint…

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yep, know what you mean - EB/ED/XH handbrake travel is much more than the EF/EL - you need a lever where the pivot is much closer to the handbrake cable - I did measure and write down the respective travels, and then you can work out the lever needed.
Here's Mark's pics: the-garage-f53/banarcus-ed-fairmont-v8-wagon-t67189.html

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Yep, know what you mean - EB/ED/XH handbrake travel is much more than the EF/EL - you need a lever where the pivot is much closer to the handbrake cable - I did measure and write down the respective travels, and then you can work out the lever needed.
Here's Mark's pics: the-garage-f53/banarcus-ed-fairmont-v8-wagon-t67189.html

Yes, yes it does!! :)

Thanks for the link. I did have a looksie in there but couldn't find specific info. I was just ganna wing it and offset the pivot point. Hopefully it will be tight enough... :/

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 22  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next