Fordmods Logo

XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!! 

Page 14 of 22 [ 323 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

Post subject: Re: XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Nah, happy to step aside in that department.
Good to see a few of these conversions going through.

It was only a few years ago we were saying it wasn't possible.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Nice work on the dash mate, you make it look easier than it is! I'm sure the install of the noise deadening will pay itself off with a much quieter cabin in the ute.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Nah, happy to step aside in that department.
Good to see a few of these conversions going through.

It was only a few years ago we were saying it wasn't possible.

No worries. Yeah hopefully my pics will help someone down the track

ToranaGuy wrote:
Nice work on the dash mate, you make it look easier than it is! I'm sure the install of the noise deadening will pay itself off with a much quieter cabin in the ute.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Cheers mate! Although I think I'll keep the windows down to listen to the blower WHINE!! :mrgreen:

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Started today with trying to salvage some wires from an old loom – to extend the bits I needed to do on mine. I tried for 5 minutes and paid it off…went and bought some rolls of 10A and 15A wiring in various colours. Way less painful than untangling this:

Next I extended the wiper motor wiring to route through the air vent in plenum. I planned it this way to I didn’t have to drill any unnecessary holes. I also routed the washer hose through – but at this stage I won’t be hooking it up – as the washer bottle will be holding the 50/50 water/meth. If I get super keen down the track I’ll relocate the washer bottle to the rear. I hardly use it anyway, so for now it won’t be connected.

Next was the mission of finally tackling the engine loom. I started by measuring the exact spot to drill the hole in the tunnel – to make sure it wouldn’t hit the console/heaterbox etc. Then put the grommet in to check. The good ol dremel came in handy during this.

Making sure I hadn’t forgotten any wiring. I integrated the vacuum hose for the boost gauge, and wiring for Wideband Air/Fuel meter. Also relocated the O2 sensors from the ‘side loom’ to the new ‘centre fed loom’. Added a few extra ‘safety net’ wires in case I forgot something. Would hate to have to add anything later on down the track.

Next, feed it all through the hole to make sure all the connectors fit (they did – JUST!!)

Then start taping…. Used fat 3M vinyl tape.

Start putting on the conduit

Finished product!! (by this point it’s well and truly dark outside!! ;))

I have a bad feeling the TFI loom will be about an inch too short. There wasn’t much I could do without making the rest of it too long and looking messy. Once the engine is in I’ll just extend it if need be.

Inside the cab… This grommet was extremely hard to push into place (I think the hoe was a tad small) – but I doubt any water will get in. Good for my next roadtrip!! :)

Decided to call it a night here…

Tomorrow I’ll try finish the passenger side loom. Need to allow for the water/meth kit wiring and will add some misc wires for down the track. The driver side loom won’t take much either, just a few extensions for the cruise and brake booster/brake switch.

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Looking good there.
I love the idea about putting the ECU harness through the trans tunnel.
I will be seriously looking at doing that to the Maverick when I have everything stripped down doing the body swap.
It is a brilliant idea , so obvious it is easily overlooked.
Nice work , I shall steal that!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I hear you on the blower whine! That's something you don't really want to hide!

Also, very nice job on the wiring dude, it's coming along nicely, and will look so damn neat when the engine is in the bay that it's not funny! Every time I pop the bonnet on my Eb Ghia I think to myself, "man I'd love to hide most of those wiring looms"....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
I hear you on the blower whine! That's something you don't really want to hide!

Also, very nice job on the wiring dude, it's coming along nicely, and will look so damn neat when the engine is in the bay that it's not funny! Every time I pop the bonnet on my Eb Ghia I think to myself, "man I'd love to hide most of those wiring looms"....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Thanks mate! :)

It will be very hard to keep it neat with the KB blower in there though... Too much going on. Sometimes I ask myself why I'm going to so much effort - cos I look at a setup with a KB and there's crap everywhere!!

I was thinking of sending the Alternator wiring back through the tunnel as well (the 2 wires), and hard wiring the main +12v lead to the starter motor... but I didn't do this as yet cos according to the wiring diagram that 12v lead goes via a fuse...

Anyone know if I can just not worry about the fuse and do it anyway?? Would look neater than running a cable from front driver side of engine bay across to engine/alternator

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Looking good there.
I love the idea about putting the ECU harness through the trans tunnel.
I will be seriously looking at doing that to the Maverick when I have everything stripped down doing the body swap.
It is a brilliant idea , so obvious it is easily overlooked.
Nice work , I shall steal that!

Cheers mate. Yeah, I actually had no idea where I was ganna run it until I got to it really... I should have put more thought into it before it was painted, but it's worked out ok. I couldnt think of anywhere else to do it. Did a google search to see who else had done it - and there is a few!! So I'm def not the first! :)

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xf84 wrote:
I was thinking of sending the Alternator wiring back through the tunnel as well (the 2 wires), and hard wiring the main +12v lead to the starter motor... but I didn't do this as yet cos according to the wiring diagram that 12v lead goes via a fuse...

Anyone know if I can just not worry about the fuse and do it anyway?? Would look neater than running a cable from front driver side of engine bay across to engine/alternator

Don't remove any fuses out of your wiring, if something goes wrong you are covered and not burn all your hard work, I would run it the way you want to but hide a fuse along the way, yeah old school cars did not have a fuse, but they have learnt a lot since then.

Nice work and top thread.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Run your Alternator back to the starter motor!. It already has a high-current feed to the battery. Go see your fave auto leccy, and he will be able to point out a suitable type of fusable wire to use inline so that you arent using a fuse. I believe that wire is a fusable link anyway.

Nigel

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

^^

Yeah, that's why I was ganna do it - but was put off by the fusable link.

As you mentioned, I'm sure I can put an 'inline' type in.... :/

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Correct. Even the ED's used fusable links instead of fuses.

Seeing your build makes me wish I had more pics of my old XD. 25 years ago now, but had a 20 pin Milspec connector in the firewall just under the heater box. I could literally unplug the engine and remove it in about 45 mins. Also meant a V8 conversion took 2 hrs (plus exhaust) ;)

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Correct. Even the ED's used fusable links instead of fuses.

Seeing your build makes me wish I had more pics of my old XD. 25 years ago now, but had a 20 pin Milspec connector in the firewall just under the heater box. I could literally unplug the engine and remove it in about 45 mins. Also meant a V8 conversion took 2 hrs (plus exhaust) ;)

That's a wicked idea!! :) PICS PICS!!! :lol:

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

havent got any!. Was a long, long time ago!. Didnt think at the time.

Only Picture I have left is this one..

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

I've been slack this week, with no real updates.

Did spot this today....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0808273155

Seems to be a few around that have done the conversion! I wonder how he has done the demister. I am still trying to work mine out

Sort by  
 Page 14 of 22  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next