Fordmods Logo

xr6 engine conversion into my eb. 

Page 30 of 42 [ 626 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next

Post subject: Re: xr6 engine conversion into my eb.
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb ford falcon ghia

NSW, Australia

I also dont need 40+ yrs of welding experience to know all thats required for a strong weld is good penertration and enough weld over the 2peices thats being welded is that right or wrong? forgetting tafe and needing your welds to look pritty aswell as be strong to get high marks, I dont need a neat weld. I got good penertration and enough weld over the joints. So be helpfull and tell me why you think they are not strong welds?? (KEY WORD BEING STRONG WELDS)

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the weld you did on the flat plate to k.frame on your mates looks alittle thin on the weld to me.. nice and neat tho but thin weld man. I would have done a 2nd layer of weld over that1. The plate looks realy high of the k.frame aswell not to flush.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I must bow my head to a man of such great knowlege that far outweighs my years of skill and experience. I should never question ones skill and knowege that comes from U Tube.

All that machinery that I have built and designed over my many years must be recalled or scrapped.

So must the many cars that I have worked on.

I am so devistated, all these years of learning and all I needed to do was go to U Tube.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:

jumpingjak wrote:

will you both calm the faaarck down. 1st off grumps IS trying to be helpful to you jak. that is what he does & has done over the years. and he will always have an opinion about 'things' :roll: as will you.

for my part ...... you weld like me :lol: which is a good/bad thing. good penetration means not 'burning' what your welding & not 'breaking' your weld. ie smooth continuous welds. the short welds 'may' have penetration but not continuous/even strength which is needed for the subframe/stress points.

everyone on here will comment one way or another on what you do, wether it's your welding/wiring skills/attitude. get used to it :mrgreen:

ohh

and keep up the good work :lol:

my 2 cents worth :wink:

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Your welds look very stop start in all your pics - you weren't getting a proper continuous electrical flow to do a continuous run, or is this an intentional method?
jumpingjak wrote:
my engine bay gone black :D Im sure sum1 will say its a bad paint job aswell, lol.
Depends, you've not mentioned the paint or primer you've used, your prep method and what you've used, your spray method, etc. Like welding, spraypainting takes experience and training as well. You used gloss paint ? Just looks like the K frame is in gloss, and the engine bay has a semi gloss/matt finish.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ahh swc thinks he helps but dosent. and yes there is mate, there is a hudge gap between your flat plate and k.frame so there for your weld is taking up the hole force of the car the original design the flat plate sat flush as with the k.frame and because the k.frame is rounded were the plate sits it kind of wedges is self in there, but ye what do i know ay. 2comments afters his are positive helpfull id so much rather here your welds could be better and this is why, bla bla bla... Not just there bad welds and thats it. I dont realy what to get into a bit thing over it. they welding guy did mention sum of the bad things about my welds but all in all he sed theey will be fine for the cars cross bar. he sed he would not put that weld on a 10story building or enything but its ok for the car.. obviously my welds are not going to look like sumone with 40+yrs on there belt but allgood :D moving on.. :D

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yes everything has an art form to it. Im not looking for a show car at the end of this eather thats why im doing it all my self. I used a can on the k.frame.i found a can of vht satin black in my shed i was going to use on my brakes but didnt so i just used it on my k.frame. I think it looks abit shinnyer on the k.frame because it was still smoothand the paint that was already on it ma have made it look abit different. and the bay i used a semi glos satin black with a spraygun. I did cut the corner alittle bit as i only sanded the engine bay back a coat or so then painted. no under coat. for the out side of my car i will sand all the clear coat of and a layer or two of paint then i will use a primer filler sand it back with wet n dry then a coat of paint. I may do that 2or 3times then put a clear coat and wet n dry that, doom, done Im still desiding on how i want the out side of the car to look like. i was thinking that flat black but now i think i want do a kind of deep pearl red, blood red sumthing along them line of red along the middle of the bonnet roof and boot

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Im going to try and fit the bf gear selector into my eb aswell. it was so close to just going straight in but i need to cut abit out of the gearbox tunnel for it to fit in also im abit worried about it sitting to high and want look like it spoze to be there when i put the middle console part back in. I just have to do my engine mount, fix up my heater pipe abit and set up the oil pressure and the engine will be ready to go in all my wireing gose to and works what its spose to, Just need to button up a coulpe of wires to my eb plugs and thats it. I was trying to keep my eb original so if i had to i could change every thing back over easy but seems the engine craped it self and i have a holden out the front this eb is not going back ever,so im using parts of my old engine and plugs i may need off the eb wiring will just be choped off

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
ahh swc thinks he helps but dosent. and yes there is mate, there is a hudge gap between your flat plate and k.frame so there for your weld is taking up the hole force of the car the original design the flat plate sat flush as with the k.frame and because the k.frame is rounded were the plate sits it kind of wedges is self in there, but ye what do i know ay. 2comments afters his are positive helpfull id so much rather here your welds could be better and this is why, bla bla bla... Not just there bad welds and thats it. I dont realy what to get into a bit thing over it. they welding guy did mention sum of the bad things about my welds but all in all he sed theey will be fine for the cars cross bar. he sed he would not put that weld on a 10story building or enything but its ok for the car.. obviously my welds are not going to look like sumone with 40+yrs on there belt but allgood :D moving on.. :D

hey did i say ... everyone will pat you on ya back!. as i said my welds looks similar to yours coz ... not enuf experience! lol ... altho i will admit that my trailer axle has NOT crashed & burned just yet due to my welds ........... surprising considering how heavy some loads have been! :shock: & how 'good' the welds look. i'm trying to be a "mediator" between you & grumps so that you get some experience from members that have done it all [or parts there of :lol: ] before AND some 'nudging' so that what you do gets betterer & betterer 8-) [plus you don't say farrk you all & leave :( ]

jumpingjak wrote:
yes everything has an art form to it. Im not looking for a show car at the end of this eather thats why im doing it all my self. I used a can on the k.frame.i found a can of vht satin black in my shed i was going to use on my brakes but didnt so i just used it on my k.frame. I think it looks abit shinnyer on the k.frame because it was still smoothand the paint that was already on it ma have made it look abit different. and the bay i used a semi glos satin black with a spraygun. I did cut the corner alittle bit as i only sanded the engine bay back a coat or so then painted. no under coat. for the out side of my car i will sand all the clear coat of and a layer or two of paint then i will use a primer filler sand it back with wet n dry then a coat of paint. I may do that 2or 3times then put a clear coat and wet n dry that, doom, done Im still desiding on how i want the out side of the car to look like. i was thinking that flat black but now i think i want do a kind of deep pearl red, blood red sumthing along them line of red along the middle of the bonnet roof and boot

you did chuck a "hisssy"fit when you mentioned ya painting .... so expect someone to 'bite' back at ya. i suck at painting ...... so it's a GOOD thing me brother-inlaw is a coach builder :lol: & knows painters :roll:

jumpingjak wrote:
Im going to try and fit the bf gear selector into my eb aswell. it was so close to just going straight in but i need to cut abit out of the gearbox tunnel for it to fit in also im abit worried about it sitting to high and want look like it spoze to be there when i put the middle console part back in. I just have to do my engine mount, fix up my heater pipe abit and set up the oil pressure and the engine will be ready to go in all my wireing gose to and works what its spose to, Just need to button up a coulpe of wires to my eb plugs and thats it. I was trying to keep my eb original so if i had to i could change every thing back over easy but seems the engine craped it self and i have a holden out the front this eb is not going back ever,so im using parts of my old engine and plugs i may need off the eb wiring will just be chopped off

someone did that to their XG [XH? ] ..... just checked . . . checkout Project XG FPV DOHC Barra 182 on this site .... doesn't appear as tho it will ever 'blend in' ... but ya never know :wink:

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

The only way to get the shifter to sit lower would be to fabricate a box for the shifter to bolt into and cut the shape of the fabed box into trans tunnel and weld it in so it sits down in the tunnel,thats if theres enough room under the trans tunnel to do so which may make it harder to connect the shifter cable aswell.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
mate your not trying to be helpfull, just negative. and yes when it come to sum1 on a internet forum saying my weld is bad and thats it, nothing about why you think its bad, compaired to 2people that looked at my weld in real life that know about welding aswell, who would you listen to.. and as i sed befor these guys in the building next door to the wreckers i go2 say its fine then its good for me. haha and to get into the nitty gritty of my visit yes he did laugh at how the weld look were i went off the line abit and told me it is not a neat weld but its a solid weld and the other welds he told me they are not to bad. I told him im not looking for a neat weld award just need to know if they are solid welds he sed they are. What can i say mate they are welds that will hold and thats all i need.. I would bet a million dollars that the k.frame you did and mine, what ever pressure it would takes to brake your weld mine will be the same. the only real difference is your welds look realy nice aswell as strong, mine are just strong.

Honnestly mate, your welds look worse then my dogs s**t, i've been around people doing welding for the last 6 years as a 21 year old whos done my apprenticeship as a fitter and machinist, i cop s**t about my welds i'm scared to even show a boilie your welds cause they'd probably end up having a seizure,

SWC Comes across as a C*** but trust me he's the type of bloke who is no s**t straight down the line and knows his s**t and knows how to do it

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I got the bf shifter in the car ok, not the middle console yet tho, I will try and make up sumthing like what was done for the instrument cluster mod. all my wireing is in aswell as my throttle peddle and bracket.. I made my bracket so the peddle is at a slight angle because i have to use my left leg and my leg crosses over so i made my peddle line up abit better with my foot :D I am upto the water bottle now as it gets in the way of the computers plugs. other than that the engine is ready to go in. Im not going to worrry about the oil pressure and tacho because i will put in the bf cluster pannel soon. I have till the 5th of aug then i need a pink slip for rego

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:25 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
I got the bf shifter in the car ok, not the middle console yet tho, I will try and make up sumthing like what was done for the instrument cluster mod. all my wireing is in aswell as my throttle peddle and bracket.. I made my bracket so the peddle is at a slight angle because i have to use my left leg and my leg crosses over so i made my peddle line up abit better with my foot :D I am upto the water bottle now as it gets in the way of the computers plugs. other than that the engine is ready to go in. Im not going to worrry about the oil pressure and tacho because i will put in the bf cluster pannel soon. I have till the 5th of aug then i need a pink slip for rego

ok! ... some have cutnshut the water bottle .... some have put it [top] coming out behind left headlight using a BA/BF unit

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
I have till the 5th of aug then i need a pink slip for rego

It's already the 14th of August and you will require a Blueslip.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

haha dammit i ment the 5th of september :oops: . i dont know which way i want to go. I like the idea of the bf water bottle as its alot bigger but just cutting the corner out of the eb bottle seemz alot easyer to do. I almost forgot about the computer bracket so i made it abit shorter il put it back in and see what accualy needs to come out of the washer bottle. I used the gas bottle for my welder yesterday and it was kicking my a** at 1st. I welded like 3nozzel tips hahaha. Its alot different using gas to no gas, the weld was building up and making a bigger weld line and melting into the nozzel, it kinda feels like you have abit more control over the puddle with the gas

Sort by  
 Page 30 of 42  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next