Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: 7 Segment Display Gear select indicator
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

im thinking of making a display that shows the gear selected

iv got the list of voltages on what gear presents what voltage and what wire to splice into i just need to work out how to at certain voltages get it to turn certain segments,

Post subject: Re: 7 Segment Display Gear select indicator
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

sounds like a bit o fun.
the B series already have them, but as a general rule of thumb you dont need to look at that.

if your going forward = D
backwards = R
stopped =N/P or maybe fuked gearbox :lol: :lol:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

yeh i can get it to come up on my dash in diagnostic mode just like sumthing diffrent

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:41 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Just fit an NF/NL instrument cluster.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

It would be doable, but without a lot of work will look like the dash from " Back to the future " What sort of display did you have in mind ? It will look out of place if not Orange. Did you want it for all positions, or just Forward ? If you use a LED display you either wont be able to see it in the day, or it will be far too bright at night. ( that can be overcome ) To activate it, I would think about some micro switch's in the console to be switched by the lever position. It is safer than getting into the electronics of the car. Would you put the display above the demister switch ?

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:19 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

It would be doable, but without a lot of work will look like the dash from " Back to the future " What sort of display did you have in mind ? It will look out of place if not Orange. Did you want it for all positions, or just Forward ? If you use a LED display you either wont be able to see it in the day, or it will be far too bright at night. ( that can be overcome ) To activate it, I would think about some micro switch's in the console to be switched by the lever position. It is safer than getting into the electronics of the car. Would you put the display above the demister switch ?

Regards 96ELGli

yeah im looking for sumthing neat and afordable, unsure on mounting yet becouse i have the xr it limits space it the dash, i disagree on the orange as i have already changed over to a blue

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:44 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

At diffrent gears its diffrent voltages so if i can work out a way to get a circuitry biard to read it n alow certain things to switch on at a certain voltage n turn off when its too high

If running diffrent resistors would work off a diode would work

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

You can also try using a pic or arduino (or perhaps a pi?) to look over the ALDL line (the dash data from the ECU) which will also give you the Gear. might need to interpret it a bit - its a proprietry data stream but its there, and means you wont need to worry about A-D conversions for gear range or anything.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

The easiest way with less risk of anything going wrong is mount some mini micro-switch's under the cover of the T bar. There is enough room underneath, and use the switch type that has the roller on the end of the actuator. You can make up a box with some Diodes, and run the segments from the switch's. 7 switch's and 8 wires. The display end you will need Ignition or Accessory power, lights to dim it at night and an earth. 3 connections you can get from the lighter. Now you have 2 connections into the car, which are all fused. No risk of causing problems with anything. A relay can be used to bypass a resistor to make it Dim at night. You can build this and test this before installing from a Battery / power pack.

For a 1 off this will work, and you can use some Vero board or solder it up then " Pot " it a plastic box with some Silicon. With a basic electronics knowlage this wont be hard, and you could do a write up for others.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Actually the best way of doing this with low complexity is to monitor the Gear Position line from the Gearbox - its an analog pot set up to give a range from 0-5v. The ranges are in the workshop manuals, any pic with an A-D can read the line.

no switches required on the selector or anywhere. No Hardware mods required.

My Preference for reading the ALDL line comes from thinking that only one device should "decide" the gear position - and it should distribute that information to other devices which can use it

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

There are many better ways to do it than mine. Mine is simple for a novice, and can be built and tested easily outside of the car. There is also little risk of anything interfering with the control systems in the car. And for remote fault finding, a Multimeter is all that is needed. Microswitch's and cams have been running machines for Decades, I like the KISS principal.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

System error. Please delete.

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]