Fordmods Logo

ALTERNATOR OVERCHARGING? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: ALTERNATOR OVERCHARGING?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:38 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hi guys i have an EL and on Friday night the battery light in the cluster came on and the battery charge went through the roof past 16 (the highest on the gauge), then shortly after all the speedo and cluster readings went dead followed by them coming back to normal when I came to a complete stop (apart from the battery which went back to overcharging). Long story short I got the alternator checked and it confirmed that it was overcharging the battery however are all of the above symptoms (related to the cluster dials cutting in and out) usual alternator symptoms that come with the problem?

I just hope theres not something more going on thats all. Also how does $150 sound to get a 2nd hand alternator fitted?

Thanks for any replies

Post subject: Re: ALTERNATOR OVERCHARGING?
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Nathanhrv wrote:
Hi guys i have an EL and on Friday night the battery light in the cluster came on and the battery charge went through the roof past 16 (the highest on the gauge), then shortly after all the speedo and cluster readings went dead followed by them coming back to normal when I came to a complete stop (apart from the battery which went back to overcharging). Long story short I got the alternator checked and it confirmed that it was overcharging the battery however are all of the above symptoms (related to the cluster dials cutting in and out) usual alternator symptoms that come with the problem?

I just hope theres not something more going on thats all. Also how does $150 sound to get a 2nd hand alternator fitted?

Thanks for any replies

I got a new alternator from Ashdown Ingrams for $225, but thats with a discount, its usually $270 or there abouts, $150 is a bit exxy.

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Sounds like the voltage reg has died, call around see if anyone wants to diagnose the voltage regulator for you? and if thats the fault, change it.

Otherwise, for a second hand unit, they a bit rich. find someone wrecking down a car and fit it yourself. save dorrahs..

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

mine was dooing exact same swapped to second hand alternator all fixed

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]