Fordmods Logo

Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 44

Posts: 2

Joined: 20th Feb 2016

Ride: ford falcon

Location: grafton
NSW, Australia

I want to put in an alternator from a BF to an AU.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:22 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

Same alternator.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Same alternator.



is the connection the same tho re wiring?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 120

Joined: 19th Jan 2016

Ride: G6e

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
SWC wrote:
Same alternator.



is the connection the same tho re wiring?


Adaptors they're are i believe
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

barraea wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
SWC wrote:
Same alternator.



is the connection the same tho re wiring?


Adaptors they're are i believe



hmmm ... think i betterer recheck coz i'm sure some have one connection .. others are two
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:54 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

Same plug as the EF/EL/AU/BA. No adaptors required.

Later BF cause an issue with the charge light.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:38 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5587

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

Nah, there's a few variations with the AU I/II/III. Plus also if the AU has fitted a mitsubishi or motorcraft alternator as well.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:49 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

Snap is correct.

The AU1 has a different plug due to the different brand alternator.

EF/EL/AUII/AUIII/BA have the same plug. Not 100% sure with the EB/ED.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 109

Joined: 17th Feb 2009

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

Location: Crestmead, Brisbane South
QLD, Australia

Sorry to bring up an old thread, But seemed a better idea than starting a new one for the same sort of question.

Iv converted my NF Lane from the EF motor in it to an AU (not sure which series but pretty sure its II or III) and because its been sitting for the past year or so as i slowly get the funds for getting it on the road (one income, between a couple) i never noticed until recently.. The alternator is not charging my battery. Now i know why my old battery died, I investigated the alternator a bit today.. And found iv picked up a BF alternator not a BA one.. Can i make this work? I don't have the receipt for it and as i say.. Getting the funds together has been a challenge.. Hoping it's just a matter of snipping a plug off a BA?

Edit: BF Alternator i have is 3 pin type, Plug on the battery side is 2 spade connector type. For some reason it fits.. but its obviously not doing anything.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:21 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

brendanssound wrote:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, But seemed a better idea than starting a new one for the same sort of question.

Iv converted my NF Lane from the EF motor in it to an AU (not sure which series but pretty sure its II or III) and because its been sitting for the past year or so as i slowly get the funds for getting it on the road (one income, between a couple) i never noticed until recently.. The alternator is not charging my battery. Now i know why my old battery died, I investigated the alternator a bit today.. And found iv picked up a BF alternator not a BA one.. Can i make this work? I don't have the receipt for it and as i say.. Getting the funds together has been a challenge.. Hoping it's just a matter of snipping a plug off a BA?

Edit: BF Alternator i have is 3 pin type, Plug on the battery side is 2 spade connector type. For some reason it fits.. but its obviously not doing anything.


You need the AUII/III or the BA unit. Use a BF and the alternator light will be on all the time.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 109

Joined: 17th Feb 2009

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

Location: Crestmead, Brisbane South
QLD, Australia

That's bad right? overcharging issues etc?

I could deal with an annoying light.. Or am i just grasping for straws?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the alternators pretty much the same in AU to BF?
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:28 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

brendanssound wrote:
That's bad right? overcharging issues etc?

I could deal with an annoying light.. Or am i just grasping for straws?


Not sure that your gauge will read properly as well.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:11 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names