Fordmods Logo

attempting xh xr6 head gasket change out 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: attempting xh xr6 head gasket change out
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

hi there ...long time knowledge vulture.. first time poster...i live in nw WA so cars do it tough in the heat here and when i arrived home after work (tradie) heard a hissing and radiator had split down right hand as u face the car side with a nice fountain of lumo green coolant doing its best to cool whole engine bay... now a friend that had tailed me recently mentioned seeing noticible moisture from exhaust and thermo fans had also stopped kicking in ( im lucky like that) but at this point i assumed just radiator prob... however after being reminded of moisture considered might be head gasket related with that ominus sinking feeling... after researching "radiator bursting" i wasnt suprised to find out that yes a faulty head gasket looked to be the underlying culprit...

ok.. so since im doing the rad anyway im replacing the whole cooling system ...ali rad , water pump,hoses , thermostat, i direct from battery with wire ran the thermo fans up and they are working- yet not kickn when all together b4 rad blew.( **also replacing pwr steering linesfrom pwr steering pump and as yet cant find any? will any oil resistant line matching diameter do?**)

will be having head planed and pressure tested if not warped -( i havent knowingly had it overheated) I have heard the opinion that an AU head gasket (multi layer?) is a good idea to install (with AU bolts and settings) as apposed to the XH ...what is the general consensus on this and if yes does anyone know part number or exact name etc as either i was the fool when trying to explain on the phone to parts person or they were...however thats not important ( prob me ) finding the right one is so please help if poss.

now for those true gurus that may happen across this wayyy drawn out post is there anything obvious im missing here,or havent thought of that may make my car into an explosive device soon after jumping happily in after attempting all this and turning the key...

had the xh since 10,000 km i refuse too let go LOL

Post subject: Re: attempting xh xr6 head gasket change out
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Go to your Repco store, the only reason I say Repco is because you don't have Bursons in WA, 2/5 Warambie Road, Karratha WA 6714, Phone: (08) 9144 4494.

Try also Autopro, Karratha Shop 54 Centro Shopping Centre Welcome Road, Karratha, W.A, 6714, 08 9144 2244.

Ask for a AU MLS head gasket as well as head bolts, they should also be able to order you a high pressure power steering hose.

If not try EBay for all the stuff you need, there are a number of Power steering hoses on there as well as head gaskets and head bolts.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]