Fordmods Logo

AU ECU and engine loom in XH/EL 

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: AU ECU and engine loom in XH/EL
Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

can anyone tell me what issues i will run into if i use an AU ECU, engine loom and sensors in an XH?
ie. will i be able to run the dash and trip meter?
is there anything special i will need to do such as cut and shut plugs?

i'm going to the wreckers tomorrow to check what is in the entire AU engine loom but would be good to get some advice if anyone knows it.

i'm good to make modifications and what not, but if its not actually possible i'd like to know that also :)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Post subject: Re: AU ECU and engine loom in XH/EL
Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:28 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you might want to look at timmy a's build thread, hes just put a au ecu, engine, engine bay loom and dash wiring/bcm into his ed...

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thats the opposite of what i'm asking about lol.
it makes sense that if you transfer all the looms it will work.
i want to just run the AU ecu and engine loom as if i was say converting from EL to EF ECU and engine loom

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:09 pm 

NSW, Australia

yes it will work but you still need to disable the smartshield via j3 otherwise you need to add a s**t of wiring with bcm and key reader ect..

but I think you may have issues with tacho signal and a/c function if you have a/c?
plus adding crank sensor, cam angle sensor, tmap instead of map sensor..

what are you actually trying to achieve

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hey look here... there's a thread for this...

Great minds think alike Troyman... I just covered all those in my build thread for him...

Tacho signal will be alright but... The AU has a tacho output which drives the EF/EL cluster fine...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm just thinking of doing something different for a change.
I'd like the sequential injection and if it all works out I might do the same to my xg so I can run a 3bar map sensor and boost it.

I'm thinking ill repin the ecu. A guy on boosted did that with an el that he converted to ef ecu. So ill run an extra loom for the injectors and use left of wires in the orig loom from the dizzy stuff for the other sensors and edis.

Please don't tell me its not worth it bla bla lol I hate it when people do that.
If everyone chose to be the same we wouldn't have half the mods we do from people trying s**t.

I've got an au ecu plug and loom so ill compare pinouts later and check out what's happening but I think ill need to add 8-10 extra wire through the firewall.

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:48 pm 

NSW, Australia

Na mate . Not worth it..lol

I dont know about re pinning the el loom to suit au ecu plug thats an extra 44 wires..
But you may be better off trying ef loom and change a few wires to suit au ecu?.
Or just take the plunge and do it all with au loom and ecu..

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ill suss it out later. I don't mind adding 44 wires lol
Not all the pins are used though

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

as i said in timmys thread, i checked the AU pinout, there are 20 pins not being used, 8 of the pins that are used are for lpg so not required and ill be adding 8-10 extra wires plus the left over wires from the dizzy etc.
so it all balances out fine.

ill start collecting sensors over the next few weeks and then get an ECU.
ive got a spreadsheet that shows EF vs EL vs AU, but really thats not too important other than being able to label the EL pins.

what i need to do from here is count the wires that are left over after i remove whats not required from the EL loom then figure out how many extra wires ill need to run through the firewall.
i can get away with leaving the left over wires in the orig loom and just change there end position.
i might see if there is enough free spots in the main plug at the loom in the engine bay to allow me to add some extra pins, but if not i dont mind running a separate loom.

so, is there any reason i shouldn't go with series 3?

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

does a standard AU loom have LPG, VCT and traction control in it?
and is traction control something i will need to work in, or can i just ignore it?

XG Panelvan

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sorry for all the posts, need to get this out of my head before i forget it all lol.
if anyone sees any errors, let me know. its a bit of a rough hack atm haha.

so, from the AU ECU, 10 au pins not required by me (LPG, traction control, VCT), 20 pins not used by ECU, 83 total pins used out of 103 available, meaning i need a total of 73 pins/wires.

with the EL ECU in an XH, 3 pins are not used (LPG, speed sensitive steering), so there is a total of 57 pins with wires on them standard. after removing the dizzy and the map and air intake temp sensor there is 4 free pins/wires so a total of 61 pins with wires available.

so i need to run 12 new wires with pins at the ECU end.
thats assuming i require everything except whats mentioned above.

so if anyone can see anything wrong with this, please let me know.
i've had a good read through the pinouts quite a few times and think i've covered what is required and whats not required, but could easily be wrong.

XG Panelvan

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

woops, theres 30 pins not being used by the ECU at all, which means i only need to run 2 extra wires by that math, but ill have to count how many wires are actually in the car and whats what.
i think 10 is a good number that it may end up being

XG Panelvan

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:12 am 

NSW, Australia

misk_one wrote:
does a standard AU loom have LPG, VCT and traction control in it?
and is traction control something i will need to work in, or can i just ignore it?

no, all looms are different, std loom is std, vct has the extra wires in the loom, and from memory lpg uses pins that are used elsewhere eg I think lpg uses the same pin as vct solenoid..
and the vct and traction control function are in the ecu tune file,
so a vct with traction control has the functions programed in the ecu, also the traction control wont work unless the car has au abs module..

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:14 am 

NSW, Australia

I think your better off just fitting the right engine loom to suite the ecu, it will be easier and much neater ..

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sweet as, thanks dude.
just trying to eliminate all that i dont need from the ECU.
realistically, if the guy that did the EL to EF conversion added 3 extra wires, i should only need to add 6 extra wires, 3 more for the sequential injection.

XG Panelvan

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next