Fordmods Logo

au falcon alternator 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: au falcon alternator
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford falcon au mkII

VIC, Australia

gday all got an au falcon 6 cyl and was wondering if i could get a bigger alternator for it as i run alot of stuff off my batterys (dual battery systems) and the alternator sounds like its under a fair bit of load when idleing

Post subject: Re: au falcon alternator
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

various higher output alternators are available try repco -supercheap etc for higher amperage alternators -standard is approx.55amps - note however that the larger alternator will not change the amount of load across it but will increase its ability to keep charging your battery with all the load turned on as long as the revs are up enough...

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

AUfalcon b&s wrote:
gday all got an au falcon 6 cyl and was wondering if i could get a bigger alternator for it as i run alot of stuff off my batterys (dual battery systems) and the alternator sounds like its under a fair bit of load when idleing

Standard alternator on an AU is 110amp. You will find it hard to pick up a higher amperage alternator of the shelf. Suggest that you go to an Auto Elec and see what they will charge to get it rewound for you.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

TedW wrote:
various higher output alternators are available try repco -supercheap etc for higher amperage alternators -standard is approx.55amps - note however that the larger alternator will not change the amount of load across it but will increase its ability to keep charging your battery with all the load turned on as long as the revs are up enough...

Put a 55amp alternator on an AU and it won't run for long. Even EB had a 85 amp as stock, EF = 110amp, EL = 100amp.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

I removed the motorcrap alternator on the EB xr8 and replaced it with a 120 amp Mitsubishi one off a fairmont EL one. The only thing you need to do is to change the pin connector over to fit the EB. It can be done and cost me $150 plus $60 for auto electrician to fit. Piece of piss!

The mini I have also got converted to a Hyundai 130 amp alternator which is double the Lucas 60 amp one. No more dim lights and tetering on the edge of darkness.

Small price to pay for more amps...

Hooroo

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

My apologies for posting the incorrect information regarding the output of a AU alternator,cut & pasted from wrong old thread without reading thru completely ,as mentioned by swc output is 110 amps --mounting & belt alignment is main issue with fitting alt from different models as well as regulator control (some are controlled by engine computer 130 amp= 6 cyl bf etc.) are you having flat battery issues -what additional load do you have on vehicle from standard- ie amplifier,large wattage lights etc.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]