Fordmods Logo

AU falcon cruise control problem. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: AU falcon cruise control problem.
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you'd checked what I said to check then you'd have found the issue by now... Get out your multimeter and check those pins... It's a really simple system...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon EL

NSW, Australia

i dont want to sound stupid.. but where are these "pins" you speak of?

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

On the cruise control module which is up near the booster... You'll see the back side of the plug... To unplug the plug squeeze the latch down, don't lift it up...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

check as suggested by Timmya -
ignition on -
pin 4 at cruise module green/white wire 12v power when brake applied/power off if clutch pushed in while holding brake on -no power with brake released -(brake switch is normally open at rest - clutch switch is normally closed at rest )

pin 9 at cruise module light green 12v power - looses power when brake applied -
feeds from switch on brake master cylinder (green/red wire & light green) - it is common for this switch to fail and stop cruise control - to test if this is problem bridge wiring at switch and test drive with CAUTION - ie. no traffic and turn off with cruise on/off switch.
- when operating cruise control vehicle will try to continue driving with foot on brake as this is cruise cancelling switch....disconnecting will stop cruise operation...

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

with my multi meter probes do i put both in? or but one in and touch the other one?

i havent used a multi meter before and its so bloody confusing as i couldnt get a 12V from the light green wire

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:52 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Red probe in the green wire... Black probe on the body or battery negative...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

set multimeter to DC voltage -
20 volt scale or higher (or auto if meter has it)- connect black lead to negative battery terminal and red lead to the green wire-use a piece of wire or insert from rear of plug so you dont damage the terminals -
or if you have one put a test light to negative battery terminal and probe in the green wire ....

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i bealieve i have a short.. i dont think anything is broken.. was driving along last night fine just tryed cruise control for the sake of it, worked beautiful for about 2-3mins and then it cut out and wouldnt work again for another 5 minutes, and my mate is a 4 year mechanic goes, you have a short somewhere under your dash.

so where do i start there :S

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:04 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

dat111 wrote:

so where do i start there :S

welll .. a wiring diagrahm would help

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

also, forgot to mention.. they did a scan and a faulty speed sensor code came up. so if that helps maybe that could be the problem?

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

i bealieve i have a short.. i dont think anything is broken.. was driving along last night fine just tryed cruise control for the sake of it, worked beautiful for about 2-3mins and then it cut out and wouldnt work again for another 5 minutes, and my mate is a 4 year mechanic goes, you have a short somewhere under your dash. ?????

so where do i start there :so where do i start there :S

speedo is big part of cruise control - possible sender on gear box ??

is your speedo working ok or not or intermittantly ? code may be current or old code -
why did he assume you have short under dash ie. sparks etc ?
did you try bridging switch on brake cylinder as suggested before ?
when cruise cuts out does cruise on light still operate ?
when it cut out was it on and just stopped working or did it just not reset again ?
make sure all stop lights work and are correct wattage including eye level light if fitted
did wiring to module under bonnet check ok or not ?
is air bag light on or not ?

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

is your speedo working ok or not or intermittently ? they wiped it and then took it for a drive and rescanned it and it came up. but no my speedo is fine

why did he assume you have short under dash ie. sparks etc ? just assuming as he was in the car and it was working and then stopped and wouldnt set again

did you try bridging switch on brake cylinder as suggested before ? i have no idea how to do it and im sorta scared i will fry something.. but how do i go about doing it?

when cruise cuts out does cruise on light still operate ? yes the cruise light comes on the "set" doesnt tho.

when it cut out was it on and just stopped working or did it just not reset again ? it doesn't set but cruise will display on the dash.

make sure all stop lights work and are correct wattage including eye level light if fitted ok. i did replace a bulb after the passenger side blew, with the same one but after that cruise never worked again the same

did wiring to module under bonnet check ok or not ? i tryed but i couldnt get a reading off any of them.

is air bag light on or not ? the airbag light is fine and the horn works when turning.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

dat111 wrote:
is your speedo working ok or not or intermittently ? they wiped it and then took it for a drive and rescanned it and it came up. but no my speedo is fine-1/ may be cutting out and back in before you can see it but enough to log code and cut cruise out -speed sensor or loose connection or ignition feed - but look elsewhere first
-----------------
why did he assume you have short under dash ie. sparks etc ? just assuming as he was in the car and it was working and then stopped and wouldnt set again
2/ wait and see if anything develops.
-------------------
did you try bridging switch on brake cylinder as suggested before ? i have no idea how to do it and im sorta scared i will fry something.. but how do i go about doing it?
3/ disconnect both wires from switch and join together with piece of wire - tape so they cant short dont reconnect to switch yet and test drive as mentioned previously "remember"you need to cancel cruise with on/off switch -if cruise works ok like this, replace switch -remove wire and reconnect switch when finished testing .
---------------------
when cruise cuts out does cruise on light still operate ? yes the cruise light comes on the "set" doesnt tho.
ok.
---------------------
when it cut out was it on and just stopped working or did it just not reset again ? it doesn't set but cruise will display on the dash.
4/ when cruise is inop.turn on /off switch on
push and HOLD each cruise switch set/resume etc. then try turning on/off switch off for Each switch. watch cruise warning light if switch is working you wont be able to turn cruise light off until you release other switch.
---------------------------
make sure all stop lights work and are correct wattage including eye level light if fitted ok. i did replace a bulb after the passenger side blew, with the same one but after that cruise never worked again the same
5/ recheck all globes are correct as cruise wont set if globes are faulty or incorrect wattage
-------------------------
did wiring to module under bonnet check ok or not ? i tryed but i couldnt get a reading off any of them.
6/ disconnect plug at cruise module use a test light or multimeter -earth to negative battery terminal and check for power as advised by Timmya
----------------------------
is air bag light on or not ? the airbag light is fine and the horn works when turning.

ok

try No. 3/ first --
take your time when testing...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2