Fordmods Logo

au falcon no tail,dash,or park lights burning smell 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: au falcon no tail,dash,or park lights burning smell
Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: zf fairlane

VIC, Australia

hey guys this problem with my au1 falcon just happend last night before i went to work i lost my tail lights, park lights and my dashboard lights,
i was sweeting the whole way caus if the authority had of seen me it would be a canairy strait away,

it happend preety soon after i bypast 12v acc to the brake swicth to get my brake lights working but i turned out to be a faulty switch i have replaced it and i have brake lights but none of the above mentioned.
when i bypast the power to the brake switch i noticed. 12v acc to power feed wire on the brake switch, on one of the wires turned the ignition on, and power to the other wire made my brakelights work but they went out with the other lights.
ive so far got my brake lights working and my tail lights ive had to run a wire from the 12v acc. all the way down to the wire at the socket behind the tail light and i have to aligator clamp it to a bare acc wire when i want them to come on with the headlights .
now what could i have posibly blown ?
i have checked all fuses and none are blown,
i checked all my relays aswell with a multimeter and all seem fine ,, there was a faint burning smell comeing from behind the dash so i removedd the instrament cluster for a look but could not see anymore relays or fuses apart from whats in the fuse box ,
by fooling around withe the brake switch wires what do you guys think i possibly blown? i read that it may be a short in the right hand colum switch (the one that operates the high beems ar a trailer plug that has shorted but i think its something ive done ,
as it happend strait after i played with wireing
one thing i have noticed and found today is on of my relays in fuse box is burning hot if i pull it out the car runs with no difference .... here is a photo of the suspect Image i removed the cover off the relay its self so it dosent melt but what do you guys recon has blown or gone wrong? the heat in the relay would indacate to me a short or to higher curent in that part of the circut is it posible i have done damage to the cars ecu? :(

Post subject: Re: au falcon no tail,dash,or park lights burning smell
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

Take out your instrument dash cluster and check the circuit behind it I've heard of these shorting across lights etc. Causing trouble this could just be what's happened here :/ as you had these problems before you tried fixing it you have possibly just rerouted the problem and the original problem is still there shorting out the burning melting smell may be the circuit (where shorted) heating up causing the fuse panel or relays to heat up :/ hope this helps mate cheers Jason

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]