AU ford forte ( 1999 ) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: AU ford forte ( 1999 )
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1999 AU

VIC, Australia

Hi everyone;
I have posted this also on the ford au forum site, let's see if you guyes can help.

OK, Were to start, Well it started last November and a purchesed a 1999 ford falcon forte that has a original 48,000 Kms of a good friend of mine that I have know for a very long time.
Any way I've had this car for now on 7 months and have not had a problem till now, so last friday afternoon I went to start the car and the central locking was not working ??? The remote control for the car was ok as the little red light on the unit was glowing red when the button was pressed. I was able to open the drivers side door by using the key and tryed to start the car, the ing lights lite up as normal but when key was turned to the further to start the car refused to start . Had the same effect as trying to start a car with a automatic transmission and the gear lever was not in P or N.

Had me beat, so locked the car and went and rang the local racv office. Any way I thought i would try and see if the car would start again and this time the car behaved it's self. The central locking worked and I was able start the car. Later that night the car behaved it's self and started and again early on Saturday so the wife could go to work.
I ended sending off a post to the AU ford forum and a few said the battery was flat or buggered !! never had a problem be for , as as I only travel a few Kls to work, this made sence. So out came the battery charger and left the battery on charge over night and again Sunday morning. I took the car for a bit of a drive sunday afternoon and no further problems.

Again the car started on monday morning and also after work.

Tuesday ( today ) the car started in the morning and again after work and thought I'd nailed it in one.
Later after work i had to pop back into town and stop at the local repco store ( go figure ) left the car and hit the button to lock the car. Nothing, zip, zilch. The central locking was playing up yet again and the car refused to start. The exact same problem as last friday afternoon.

After calling the racv again!! they tryed all of there usual tricks, cleaned the battery terminals, mesured the battery voltage and even pulled one of the relays out from the fuse block under the bonnet and was able to energise the starter, so that elimiates the starter and starter solinade and battery.

The racv mechanic also checked the battery in the remote and all good ( still had a healthy 12 Volts across the terminals.

Sounds like a intermittant problem with the ecu ???? or the body managment modual and again ????

I used to work in the electronic industry a couple of years ago and intermitant problems like this can be very frustrating.

So now the car is at the local racv office and I will have to wait till tomorrow.

So given the long story have any of the brain trust on this forum got a idear and if not I will post a report on what was done to hopfully fix this problem. I will keep you informed.

Post subject: Re: AU ford forte ( 1999 )
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

numerous possibilities - possible BEM fault - ignition switch fault etc,start by having it scanned for codes

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1999 AU

VIC, Australia

Hi all;
From what i have found out the problem turned out to be a failty BCM module and also a commone fault. Dry solder joints around the relays on the module OR dirty contacts on one of the relays ( I have been talking with a company in Melbourne that repairs these modules for all types of faults ).
Ended up letting the racv replace the module and just pay at the end of it all, and then reprogram the remote control.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

yup was goign to say BEM fault

i had this exact thing happen 1 night we me and a mate where installing LEDS into the dash cluster

1 min car starts next NOTHING
car wont lock with key fob or start

BEM died then and there
had to be towed to ford, for new bem and upload etc
cost me around $500 or more i think ( including the tow )

p****d as i had the car entered at motorvation too!

RIP SCOTT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]