Fordmods Logo

BA Falcon speedo signal from ABS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Falcon speedo signal from ABS
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Rambler Hornet

WA, Australia

Hi, wondering if anyone can shed some light, I have a 72 Rambler Hornet to rebuild and have bought an 03 BA XR6 manual to use the running gear, including all the electronics, to power the Hornet, as the speedo uses the ABS to get its signal I intend to mount a tone ring on the RHF hub and an ABS sensor, but
1) Does anyone know if the speed pulse comes from just 1 sensor and which one
2) Will the other sensors being disconnected cause a problem apart from the ABS light coming on
3) If it does can I connect the wiring for 4 sensors to one reading sensor or do I have to mount all 4
Thanks

Post subject: Re: BA Falcon speedo signal from ABS
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Hi!
i'm not sure how similar/same the BA is to the BF ... but

BF non abs uses [from PCU/ECU] A32 SIGRTN & A36 VREF - which is a grey & brown with white trace wires going by the wiring diagram i have in front of me. hopefully the BA manual i'm getting shortly will have very detailed wiring diagrams too, so can workout what wiring links to use

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

The intention is to use the BA wiring loom complete, that way everything should work and the Hornet will think its a BA Falcon, with 180 odd KW against the old 4.2 liters 115 KW and 600 KG lighter, should be enough for a street car, I won't be running the power steering either, so will have to make alterations to the idler pulleys to compensate for the pump being removed.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:22 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
The intention is to use the BA wiring loom complete, that way everything should work and the Hornet will think its a BA Falcon, with 180 odd KW against the old 4.2 liters 115 KW and 600 KG lighter, should be enough for a street car, I won't be running the power steering either, so will have to make alterations to the idler pulleys to compensate for the pump being removed.

thats fine mate ... was just mentioning it in case. regards wiring loom complete .. does that mean you will be using cluster, ICC, aircon etc?. someone on here was talking about the idler you wish to use ..... just no idea where it was mentioned tho. good luck with the car :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

You do have the much simpler option of using a ute (non abs) rear extension housing, and adding the speedo drive wheel and sensor. You should be able to have the PCM Updated to work from the standard gearbox sensor instead of the ABS unit, and everything should be able to work

Nigel

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks, Mad2, yes, will be using as much of the Falcon's gear as possible, yes Nigel, I have read that's possible, will have to check the availability of the housing and if the output shaft on my gearbox has the gear or splining for the drive.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

There are were few BA Utes that did not have ABS fitted and used the gearbox sensor derived VSS. Ford can change the parameters to suit, and also adjust within reason the diff ratio and tyre size parameters to correct the speedo reading. If the tyre size is outside the parameter limits then JAYCAR sell a speedo corrector kit which you can use to pre correct the VSS. They can also disable the ABS light on the cluster by a parameter. You can temporarily run without the VSS so you can get to a dealer to get this done, my advise is get friendly with a service manager to tweak their interest in your project by telling them what you are doing. Have a read of my conversion.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/s ... light=Xr6t

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]