BA MKII Ute dash/gauges issue 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: BA MKII Ute dash/gauges issue
Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:14 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA MKII Ute

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys,

this one may be easy, i suspect it's a ICC plug that needs disconnection/reconnection if I'm lucky

Two notes, I have been having issue with the cabin fan staying on in recent days - trying to get across that one, research suggests a dead transistor on a module attached to or behind the blower motor behind the glovebox; and

I have had the ICC in and out a number of times in fitting an aftermarket stereo - I suspect the connections related to the ICC unit may be causative / at fault

Coming back from Victoria -> NSW yesterday, dash dropped RPM gauge and speedo, then gauge lights came on. oil, heat(over) and check engine light all came on - I already knew everything was actually tip top so kept driving.

Intermittently, both gauge needles would come back to life, then drop, not always at the same time, the warning lights would return.

I also noticed that the ICC display was essentially off [not booted] when the gauges/dash was malfunctioning.

At one point, around Albury all came back to life and I switched the cabin fan on - everything then stayed working for over 600kms

20kms from home, the gauge needles again dropped to zero and warning lights came back on - the car kept running just fine as previously, so I kept driving

From what I think I do know - all of those communications are via canbus, so quick question, is it the ICC connection on the back of the whole unit when you remove it that I should be looking at first or the wires [plugs] underneath that unit that you have to unplug before pulling the unit that may be responsible?

I do have an ODBII dongle which I'll use to check for errors tomorrow

Any tips much appreciated

Glenn

Post subject: Re: BA MKII Ute dash/gauges issue
Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

hi, if the problems started after pulling the ICC in/out then yes you will have to pull it out again & check out the pins - make sure all are standing straight etc. before putting the ICC back in make sure that you pull the ICC dash plug ALL the way out as that can cause problems too. it could also be caused by dry joints in the ICC connector [would have to pull ICC apart to check this & you would have take a very good/close look at the board connections].

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

See that's where I cannot definitely point to the ICC, that was in and out well over a year ago, it's been OK since then up until now

I mentioned it because it is something that has been worked on and from what reading I have done, there's a body management module within the ICC, communications [again from what I have read] from the PCM go through the ICC and to the dash

Trying to narrow it down, to a few plugs if possible, there are the plugs underneath the ICC, and of course the main plug of the entire ICC unit itself

Ideally I would like to try relevant plug(s) one at a time as opposed to removing all of the plugs and then the ICC, plug it back in to have it work again and then reoccur in the future, as I may be chasing a wiring issue, not a plug issue

I just though someone may know off hand which plug comes from the ICC and goes to the dash, which is going to be my first candidate

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ruckusman wrote:

I just though someone may know off hand which plug comes from the ICC and goes to the dash, which is going to be my first candidate

that would be the main plug that is at the back of the ICC & plugs into the white plug mounted in the dash. people have had problems with where the plug on the ICC joins the circuit board as well. at the base of the ICC you then have the BEM mounted/slung underneath & there are 5 plugs to the BEM.

are you able to have the car scanned for any codes that maybe stored in it's memory? as that 'may' help point you to what is happening.

also check & make sure all PCM plugs are sitting in correctly [fully clipped in] & has the cluster been removed?, if it has check plug connections on it [seated correctly].

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks good tips, I'll remove the fascia, and aftermarket stereo and see if I can discern which of the 5 plugs underneath feeds the dash [if indeed one of them does feed the dash]

I do have a bluetooth OBDII module which wasn't with me on the voyage unfortunately, so I'll jack that in and see what gives

I am anticipating a canbus communications error

Just trying to be logical and take a stepwise approach as 'well I just pulled every plug and plugged it back in, isn't really legitimate troubleshooting' and doesn't get me anywhere if it's a wiring issue and not a plug issue

OOPS, forgot to add, the cluster hasn't been out, so hopefully just dealing with the ICC and BEM signal pathway

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ruckusman wrote:
Thanks good tips, I'll remove the fascia, and aftermarket stereo and see if I can discern which of the 5 plugs underneath feeds the dash [if indeed one of them does feed the dash]

I do have a bluetooth OBDII module which wasn't with me on the voyage unfortunately, so I'll jack that in and see what gives

I am anticipating a canbus communications error

Just trying to be logical and take a stepwise approach as 'well I just pulled every plug and plugged it back in, isn't really legitimate troubleshooting' and doesn't get me anywhere if it's a wiring issue and not a plug issue

OOPS, forgot to add, the cluster hasn't been out, so hopefully just dealing with the ICC and BEM signal pathway

yeah i'm thinking CAN hiccup .... somewhere. the 5 plugs from the BEM go to the dash wiring, but they feed security/remote/courtesy lights/door ajar/door lock-unlock/boot lock-unlock/pwr window relay/tail relay/ignition relay etc. when looking at the ICC the one on the far left is power/earth from memory.

a good OBD2/Forscan works for me.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Well happy happy joy joy - when I shut the car down with the error present I had to disconnect the battery due to the cabin fan issue

Before I reconnected the battery, I removed some parts to get ready access to the stereo below the ICC/BEM plugs, slid the stereo out BUT deliberately didn't touch any wires from the BEM plugs

So two things changed - the PCM/ICC/BEM were obviously reset and potentially the BEM plug wires may have moved sliding the stereo out

No error - took it for a 200km round trip - flawless

I've pulled the A/C fuse till I get the blower fan issue sorted, so if the communications error comes back, I will be able to check OBDII codes

I always hate it when forum threads taper off without finding out if the problem was solved, and what the solution was.

So if I have the error reoccur then I'll post back a solution

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ruckusman wrote:
Well happy happy joy joy - when I shut the car down with the error present I had to disconnect the battery due to the cabin fan issue

Before I reconnected the battery, I removed some parts to get ready access to the stereo below the ICC/BEM plugs, slid the stereo out BUT deliberately didn't touch any wires from the BEM plugs

So two things changed - the PCM/ICC/BEM were obviously reset and potentially the BEM plug wires may have moved sliding the stereo out

No error - took it for a 200km round trip - flawless

I've pulled the A/C fuse till I get the blower fan issue sorted, so if the communications error comes back, I will be able to check OBDII codes

I always hate it when forum threads taper off without finding out if the problem was solved, and what the solution was.

So if I have the error reoccur then I'll post back a solution

well that's goood news for ya! - might pay to make sure the BEM plugs are seated fully tho.

as for the blower fan.

ruckusman wrote:
Two notes, I have been having issue with the cabin fan staying on in recent days - trying to get across that one, research suggests a dead transistor on a module attached to or behind the blower motor behind the glovebox;

going by the wiring diagrams i have on the BA's there is a yellow wire [power + ] running from the battery across the front of the car & then in thru the 'A' pillar to the fan, then there is a brown wire running from the fan to the HIM which is what actually controls the fan. on the 'E' series & the AU there was a resistor module behind the glovebox that would sometimes give issues but that changed from the 'B' series. you 'might' have a faulty HIM module?.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]