Fordmods Logo

ba XR6 HIDs cost / reccomendation / queries. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: ba XR6 HIDs cost / reccomendation / queries.
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, Im investigating putting some HIDs in the HI LO, and Fog lights of my b series xr6, and was wondering if you could answer some questions.

First of all, my main question is has anybody had their HIDs adjusted so they don't blind everyone / attract unnecessary police attention.

Secondly could somebody recommend a particular ebay store, or brand of hid that they have had good experience with. I have seen prices ranging from as low as $80, but I'm presuming these aren't of the best quality.

Finally, i would prefer to get an auto electrician to install the lights, just so they can make the install as neat, and hidden as possible. What can one expect to pay for the install, (based on my understanding it is only a 20 minute job).

Thanks for your help :)

Post subject: Re: ba XR6 HIDs cost / reccomendation / queries.
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

Hi mate if your considering hids I'd suggest this micksprojectors....... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-5-inch-HID ... TQ:AU:1123
He has excellent quality hid setups to suit all applications and are very simple to install!!! Have a look

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Blinding people is not in adjustment... Its in fitment and this is where the hours come into a good HID setup... Use the search function up the top and find mad's thread on HID installation...

If you buy a proper HID projector and install these through the std globe hole then you wont have an issue with bleeding other drivers... To install these you'll need to oven your lights to make the glue soft and get the clear lens off the back... You fit the projector in the hole and put the big nut on the back with all the rubber seals... You glue the front back onto the back of the light and then fit the globes into the projectors...

I highly recommend The Retrofit Source... Here is the link for the D2s Morrimoto set I purchased for my ED XR install (see my build thread in my signature and while my install was a lot more involved then yours will be (mine just didn't quite fit), it'll give you some idea what goes on and what stuff looks like)... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=237

Keep in mind TRS is in the US and postage will cost you a bit too... But These guys are fantastic and the quality of the components is fantastic... I used them because the guys on here were using them for their installs...

I don't know what yours auto electricians are like... But the work I've seen come out of the ones here, if you want it done neat I'd do it yourself... Some auto sparkies (possibly most of them) couldn't give a s**t about being neat, or safe for that matter... Trouble with being neat is where you think it takes 20 mins... It'd take 4 hours to be neat and remove the bumper and hide the ballasts and the wiring... If you expect to pay for the 20mins, the auto sparky knows you wont pay for 4 hours so he'll do it in 10 mins to make money and it'll be so far from neat it wont be funny... And any local fordmodder auto sparkies... You may be neat... No offense intended if you are... But you gotta admit some are rough... And both main ones here are...

If you get stuck sing out here... Plenty of people to help you...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Here you go... Have a read of this... You'll see what I mean by hours to do properly... Maybe even weeks if you get stuck and need to come up with and idea to fabricate something... Esp like I run into...

This is MAD's pride and joy... He spent hours sanding the ribs of the inside of the EF/EL lenses to do his install "properly" and I would have done the same, if my headlights weren't glass... I did look into getting a stone cutter to polish the insides of them off for me, but had issues trying to find someone out here in the sticks to do it for me...

ford-bodykits-f15/el-fairmont-hid-retrofit-t79728-90.html?hilit=hid

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]