Fordmods Logo

car kicks over but won't start 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: car kicks over but won't start
Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef.el ford falcon

NSW, Australia

I guys first time post. Looking at buying an ef falcon xr8 selling very cheap customer told me when the heads were replaced they broke a wire and fixed it, , car won't start she said need auto electrician to fix the immobilizer is this true or is it worse than wat she is saying any help would be great thanks

Post subject: Re: car kicks over but won't start
Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Welcome to Fordmods

That is way too vague for anyone here to help you... You either get it and start investigating things like spark/fuel and fuses so we can tell you what is wrong and where to look at otherwise there is a hundred things that will stop it from running but allow it to crank over... No one here can say for certain or not that it's immobilised... Or you walk away and don't bother with it...

A good start for you to check this would be seeing what the smartlock jewel in the instrument cluster does when the key is turned to "on"... Will soon tell you if it is immobilised or not...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

Bring a spare fuse for the dome interior light and check if the light actually works in the car, if it doesn't check the fuse and if needed replace it and see if it starts. also if they maybe replaced the key or barrel leave the keys on red for an hour ( ignition on , one click back from start) see how you go maybe keep them talking while the keys are on lol

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

If that don't help none check the cables on the starter motor!

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

123esproc wrote:
Bring a spare fuse for the dome interior light and check if the light actually works in the car, if it doesn't check the fuse and if needed replace it and see if it starts. also if they maybe replaced the key or barrel leave the keys on red for an hour ( ignition on , one click back from start) see how you go maybe keep them talking while the keys are on lol

He wants to know if it's worth the risk... If he gets it going there in front of them it wont be a "cheap xr8"... It'll just be a regular priced xr8... Anything is worth the risk if you are willing to put the time into it...

As I said just looking at the smartlock jewel on the dash will help you know if it is immobilised without letting anything on... If it flashed violently then yeah it's immobilised (which you dont need an auto sparky for) and if it doesn't then no it is fine and something else is wrong...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Ok thx for all that will give that ago she only wants $500 for it and I'll be looking at the car on Friday and go from there thanks aaron

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Ok thx for all that will give that ago she only wants $500 for it and I'll be looking at the car on Friday and go from there thanks aaron

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
123esproc wrote:

He wants to know if it's worth the risk... If he gets it going there in front of them it wont be a "cheap xr8"... It'll just be a regular priced xr8... Anything is worth the risk if you are willing to put the time into it...

As I said just looking at the smartlock jewel on the dash will help you know if it is immobilised without letting anything on... If it flashed violently then yeah it's immobilised (which you dont need an auto sparky for) and if it doesn't then no it is fine and something else is wrong...

Cheers,
Tim

You make a valid point lol I mis understood the question haha

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

How are you going to get it home too? The car may be $500, but you need to add in the cost of getting it home into it aswell as what may be wrong. The boys are right, it could be a million things ( even something silly like no fuel and a dodgy sender unit) and either will be a good buy or a parts car. $500 is what some people pay in rent a week, so it depends on if you want to risk losing the $500 or not.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

So i went and saw the car today and it looks worse than I had thought need tyres body work repairs a lot of switches missing plus more I checked the immobilizer like tim said and was flashing a lot so maybe that's why it won't start my big concern was after they had rebuilt the motor its never been started so maybe if not done right need to fix that as well car hasn't moved for over a year weighing up all the costs including rego etc better looking for one that's already on the road

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Sounds like it... Better safe than sorry...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yes I think so and thanks for your advice

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]