Fordmods Logo

car won't start 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: car won't start
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Can anyone help me please. I have a NC11 Fairlane Giha V8 which wouldn't start then started with the smart lock light on. I drove it home and turned it off and tried to start it again and it wouldn't.
It turns over 2 times stops and turns over again without starting. I've replaced the body control module and tried to start with no success. I replaced the ecu and still no success. I have tried to marry up the modules by the book with no success. I put the original bcm and ecu back in the car after about a week and still no joy. Also does anyone know where I can buy a diagnostic scanner for the car? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: car won't start
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It sounds imobilised and the diagnostic scanner will only read engine codes... The code for the imboliser is flashed out by the instrument jewel...

While holding the key to start bump the dash just above your left knee and see if that get's it going... If this is the issue than the smartlock module will need chaning (the orange module above the handbrake)

Failing that it could be the ignition barrel... The crimps on the back of them can slacken off over the years and cause issues... Try wiggling the wiring while holding the key to start...

Short of that, you're looking for a bad connection and if the smartlock light is staying on it's likely to be between the barrel and the smartlock module or one of those two items in particular...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks. I'll try the ignition switch as I've already replaced the smart lock module.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You said BEM... The BEM and smartlock modules are separate on the early E series and most often than not the relay in the smartlock modules go bad after this long... Not always does replacing it remove it from the list of the problems unless you are 100% sure the one you tried was fine...

Replacing the BEM as you said you'd done will prove very little...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Still won't start. The starter cranks over twice, stops and cranks again without starting. Am getting spark. Voltage at fuel pump is around 5volts. Is this correct? Smart lock light is off for about one second then flashes very quick. I've replaced the ecu and smart lock module. Anybody have any ideas
Cheers Al.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Did you try a new known working ignition barrel and give it 30mins to pair before starting?

Did that not work?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks Tim,
I'll try that and see what happens.
Cheers Al.

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Replaced ignition barrel and still won't start!! Checked relays under radiator coolant bottle, one is fuel, one is ABS and not sure what the other one is but there is 12 volts going in but not coming out? only about 2 volts. Could it be the relays?? Is there any other relays or fuses to check?
Cheers
Al.

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Green funny one is fuel pump, brown funny one is EEC relay, one normal looking one is ABS and the other normal looking one is WAC...

There is 4 beside the battery, one is horn, one is low beam, one is high beam, one is starter... There is a pink hego fuse under the header tank...

Other than those all remaining fuses and relays are in the dash fuse box...

It's starting to get to the stage where you've replaced everything else except the wiring... Maybe a mouse has chewed through something... Smartlock is just that, the ignition barrel and the orange/red smartlock module... All it then does is send an "enable" signal to the computer to enable the fuel injection... It also also the start circuit to pull in the starter relay next to the battery...

The system was that simple... If you can't get it going by replacing any of those parts then it just got a whole lot harder...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks Tim, I'll just keep trying one thing at a time. Just a thought, maybe run another earth strap?
I've replaced the ecu on the car 3 times now.Could there be another fault I should be looking at?
Cheers,
Al

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Dunno... Doubt it...

Here is the smartlock chapter from the Genuine Ford manual... Have a read and see what you reckon...

Attachment:
EA EB ED Factory Manual Voumel 2.pdf [365.03 KiB]
Downloaded 340 times

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks very much Tim. I'll have a read and see what I can find.
Cheers,
Alan.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

is smartlock warning flashing a code?
try leaving key switched on to reds for a good hour or so then retry
smartlock module above steering column/handbrake play up often esspecially on start circuit - bridge starter if runs check smartlock circuits-is smartlock warning flashing a code?
try leaving key switched on to reds for a good hour or so with replacement smartlock module in to allow keys to download to module then retry
if no luck then scan for codes may have other fault engine computer etc
codes can be obtained using test light and bridging circuits in diagnostics connector at fuse box(borrow gregories repair manual from library for how) or ringRACQ or local auto electrician and get them to scan for codes rather than buy scan tool which will only give you codes not how to fix any issues

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks everybody. Have now found the problem. It was the ecu relay.
Cheers.
Alan

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]