Post subject: cluster flashes intime with indicators
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

hey guys

turns out my car doesn't like when I pick on it so now it's giving me the s**t,

I pulled the facia off yesterday to try and get an oil pressure gauge to work, but there was no power to my cig lighter where I was drawing the power from, so I put it into the next weekend job, but now the b**ch has decided that when my headlights are on the only time it'll light up gauges up is when one of the indicators are on, and then proceeds to flash in time with the indicator until the indicator switches off,

if anyone could point me in a direction of where to go that'd be great, also the only wires I've been able to find which have been pulled apart is a black and green wire running from the left plug of the cluster, to the light switch and into the back off the dash, other then that no f**k idea

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Post subject: Re: cluster flashes intime with indicators
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sounds real obvious to me...

Wherever the power wire for that blinker is coming from (usually the flasher) is, instead of being hooked to the blinker input on the cluster, being hooked to the illumination for the gauges...

You need to find it and see what is hooked to where that blinker input is... Maybe a mix up?

Illumination is normally done by the head light switch grounding out on side of the park lamp relay coil and then that sending power to gauges and the sort...

It sounds like your head light switch then grounds the main negative on the illumination some how... So that you need the headlamp switch on giving the ground path and then the blinker on giving which only gives power for the cycle of the lights...

Resulting in musical instrument cluster (off take from musical chairs)...

Isn't your car a mixed bag or wiring and BA conversion and a weird instrument cluster? Been a while since I've looked in your thread... If it indeed is then nobody here is going to be able to help you with custom wiring done... You'll need to start opening looms up and tracing wiring out and drawing up schematics for your car and labelling wire colours and the sort wouldn't hurt because at least you'd have wiring diagrams for the future...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Sounds real obvious to me...

Wherever the power wire for that blinker is coming from (usually the flasher) is, instead of being hooked to the blinker input on the cluster, being hooked to the illumination for the gauges...

You need to find it and see what is hooked to where that blinker input is... Maybe a mix up?

Illumination is normally done by the head light switch grounding out on side of the park lamp relay coil and then that sending power to gauges and the sort...

It sounds like your head light switch then grounds the main negative on the illumination some how... So that you need the headlamp switch on giving the ground path and then the blinker on giving which only gives power for the cycle of the lights...

Resulting in musical instrument cluster (off take from musical chairs)...

Isn't your car a mixed bag or wiring and BA conversion and a weird instrument cluster? Been a while since I've looked in your thread... If it indeed is then nobody here is going to be able to help you with custom wiring done... You'll need to start opening looms up and tracing wiring out and drawing up schematics for your car and labelling wire colours and the sort wouldn't hurt because at least you'd have wiring diagrams for the future...

Cheers,
Tim

I didn't cut/change locations of any wires yesterday, and apparently the pins in the new cluster are in the same position they were in a standard cluster, which I would agree with cause I hooked my old Fairmont cluster up and it was the same deal, and the dash loom is a standard el ghia one

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

all i could think of was an earth? coz you said they only come on where ya flashers are on

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

*still sits awaiting video*

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
all i could think of was an earth? coz you said they only come on where ya flashers are on

f**k if I know, I've pulled this f**k thing aparat further then I ever tampered with it, and all I can come up with is one black and green wire with no friend coming from the left plug on the cluster and a blue wire with no friend coming from deeper in the loom

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]