Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Cruise control not working and air bag fault light on
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL futura

QLD, Australia

Hi Ford Mod guys,
I hope you can help with this problem.
I have a 96' EL futura, the airbag warning light in the dash is indicating some issue with the "Airbag", also the "Cruise control" is not working. The dash board lights indicate the the CC is on/off ok, but I can't set a speed. The Airbag warning light has been like this for about a year, flashes for a while when engine started, after a few minutes the light stays 'On". The CC has been a bit doggy for a while but up until recently you could get it to engage eventually, sometimes by re-starting the engine.
Am I correct in thinking that both these components are connected via a "slip ring" at the back of the steering wheel? Is it possible that the slip ring has built up some grime and not transferring the data correctly?
Any other thoughts will be greately welcomed.
Many thanks
Geoff

Post subject: Re: Cruise control not working and air bag fault light on
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

clock spring

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:52 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
clock spring

he means it's called "clock spring"

won't know till steering wheel is removed to check

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Better to do a few simple tests first - the clockspring takes a bit of work to replace, so confirm it.

Turn IGN on - count the flashes, it will indicate a two digit code twice, this means four banks of flashes, with short pauses in between, then the light stays on.

Check with documents.php?d=3 .

Post back what you find, so you can find out what to do next.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks folks for the prompt replies.
Perhaps this is another diagnosis.
After many months of looking at this flashing warning light, it has now stopped flashing, very strange, as if it knew it was going to get some attention. Light comes on with the ignition being turned on and goes out after a few seconds. I have tested this process several times now, starting and driving and no warning light, perhaps it will re-appear, however I'm very dissapointed as I was keen to find out what the warning code was, now I'll never know unless it startes to flash again, at least thanks to you I now have the codes.

Unfortuneatly the Cruise Control has not repaired itself with the Air Bag warning light.
I have read in another posting that a faulty 'brake sensor' could be the cause of this problem. Is this the only sensor that may cause this system to malfunction?

Thanks for all your wisdom, merry xmas.
Geoffo

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

My XH ute doesn't get a lot of running - at times it will flash a Passenger airbag open circuit fault.
So I have to remove and reinstall the blanking resistor, and the fault disappears for a while.

With the cruise, what you can try is put a shorting wire on the master cyl plug (with it disconnected from the pressure s/w at the front of the master cyl).
If you can now hold speed, the pres s/w is buggered.

Be careful, as this is a secondary setup to the brake light s/w to cancel cruise by brake pedal, so make sure you are getting brake lights.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks Snap,

To confirm your note,

With the cruise, what you can try is put a shorting wire on the master cyl plug (with it disconnected from the pressure s/w at the front of the master cyl).
If you can now hold speed, the pres s/w is buggered.

Be careful, as this is a secondary setup to the brake light s/w to cancel cruise by brake pedal, so make sure you are getting brake lights.

If this is where the problem is located, would I have no brake lights now? I have "break lights". Or would "no brake lights" be a possible result of the test that you explained?

I had the "brake light" sensor on the brake pedal replaced a few months ago but since having this work done I have not had the need to try to engage the "cruise control" and hadn't tried to engage "CC" for several months prior either. Is the "Cruise Control cancelling sensor" also controled at this brake peddal sensor/switch or only at a sensor on the Master cyl?

Is it possible that when changing the "Brake sensor", something was not connected correctly?

Many thanks
Geoffo

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:33 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The cruise cancels using either the brake pedal switch or the pressure switch on the front of the mast cyl.
If your brake lights work, then that's not an issue. The press s/w is normally closed, and opens on brake application, so if it is suspect, it might be open cct all the time, hence why you pull the plug and short it out.

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks Snap,
I'll have it checked by someone with your knowledge, I just wanted to have some insight about the possible issues. As you've mentioned the difficulty of dealing with the clock spring and steering wheel as a possible cause it's better to eliminate the easier fixes first.
Thanks for your input, when I get the solution to the problem I will post again.
Regards
Geoffo

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Geoffo wrote:
it's better to eliminate the easier fixes first.
A simple principle a lot of people don't get.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi Snap,
thought that I'd let you know that the Cruise Control issue has been fixed. As you would have expected it was the sensor on the master cylinder, brake fluid was leaking through to the wiring. Went to the wrecker and bought a second hand sensor and fitted it. CC working fine. Glad I didn't try to pull the stering wheel apart.
Many thanks
Geoffo

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Geoffo wrote:
it's better to eliminate the easier fixes first.

8-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]