Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EB demister dash light stays on
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

:?

Hi everyone, I have an EB wagon, and the rear demister lamp on the dash stays on constantly. The rocker switch on the clock panel that turns it on and off doesn't light up, and pressing it has no effect. I changed the switch for another from an EA, and still the same issue...

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: EB demister dash light stays on
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

replace rear demister (can also be called backlight) relay - from memory located in interior fuse box

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The rocker switch on the clock panel only lights up when you turn the parkers on... Not when the demister is on or off... It is so you can find it at night...

Can't help with the instrument cluster jewel being stuck on but... BEM turns it on and off and the rocker switch feed directly into the BEM...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TedW wrote:
replace rear demister (can also be called backlight) relay - from memory located in interior fuse box

Tried that, took the one from my EA and still the same issue :(

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TimmyA wrote:
The rocker switch on the clock panel only lights up when you turn the parkers on... Not when the demister is on or off... It is so you can find it at night...

Yes, sorry my post was a bit unclear - was meant to say that the rocker doesn't light up at all, with lights on or off and pressing demister switch doesn't appear to do anything

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

check to see IF you have any power at switch & globe 'maybe' blown in switch

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi,

Attachment:
EA EB ED Factory Manual Voumel 2.pdf [39.13 KiB]
Downloaded 225 times

Relay should have power to one contact from the demister CB... Make sure the CB hasn't failed... If you have power there then make sure the BEM is earthing one side of the coil when you press the button... Try using a piece of wire to rule the button out...

Isn't much to the system...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

does demister warning jewel in dash light up if you leave relay out - if so does demister warning jewel in dash light up if you disconnect switch ?

switch turns bem on -bem turns relay on -relay feeds power to rear demist and warning jewel - can you hear relay switching - do you have power to rear demister ?

Use TimmyA's wiring diagram may have lost earth to switch and warning jewel causing backfeed from bem to light up warning jewel

check circuits to switch for illumination problem blu/red power when tail light switch on

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TimmyA wrote:
Hi,

Attachment:
EA EB ED Factory Manual Voumel 2.pdf

Relay should have power to one contact from the demister CB... Make sure the CB hasn't failed... If you have power there then make sure the BEM is earthing one side of the coil when you press the button... Try using a piece of wire to rule the button out...

Isn't much to the system...

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks for that - relay appears to have power, but the demister button does nothing. I used a piece of wire to bridge the two pins on the plug for the switch, and still nothing. :cry:

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TedW wrote:
does demister warning jewel in dash light up if you leave relay out - if so does demister warning jewel in dash light up if you disconnect switch ?

switch turns bem on -bem turns relay on -relay feeds power to rear demist and warning jewel - can you hear relay switching - do you have power to rear demister ?

Use TimmyA's wiring diagram may have lost earth to switch and warning jewel causing backfeed from bem to light up warning jewel

check circuits to switch for illumination problem blu/red power when tail light switch on

If I remove the relay, then demister warning jewel turns off. Removing the switch has no effect. Attempted bridging the pins on the plug for the switch, and still nothing.

If I leave the key on and remove / replace relay I can hear it clicking, so relay appears to be working.

blue/red wire on switch has +5V when lights are on

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

relay should only work when you remove /refit with accessory on,if you turn rear demist switch on
- put a "test light"across "power" and probe white wire at switch with switch disconnected and connected should only get earth when connected when you operate switch -if earth when disconnected possible body module fault keeping relay shunt circuit on
-try disconnecting body module and reconnecting ................

put a led across blue/red and brown and turn taillight on

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TedW wrote:
relay should only work when you remove /refit with accessory on,if you turn rear demist switch on
- put a "test light"across "power" and probe white wire at switch with switch disconnected and connected should only get earth when connected when you operate switch -if earth when disconnected possible body module fault keeping relay shunt circuit on
-try disconnecting body module and reconnecting ................

put a led across blue/red and brown and turn taillight on

Yes, you are correct, the relay should only work when it's on - I checked and the demister IS on, it's not just the instrument panel jewel, the demister is permanently on each time the key is on, which is odd since they usually reset to off each time the key is turned off.

I probed the pins on back of the switch with a multimeter, and it appears that the white wire has +12V, and the black has earth...

I will try the other tests you mentioned when I get a chance - trying to do it all in daylight hours when I'm not working.

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Also, does anyone know if there are any differences between the BEM in the EB wagon and the one in an EA sedan? As I have an EA donor car sitting in the yard I can use to test parts...

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

susspect you have a BEM fault - can usually here BEM click when you operate demist switch-

check how many plugs between BEM's - different appointments determine suitability ie.electric windows etc. - plug it in anyway and see if demister works correctly -shouldn't need to wait for key to download to test demister -

using a multimeter to test will show voltage backfeeding from bem as meter is more sensitive than a test light - using a test light connected to power will tell you if switch circuit is operating - if light stays on with switch connected but "off" recheck with bem disconnected -

did you try unplugging and reconnecting bem -

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TedW wrote:

did you try unplugging and reconnecting bem -

Yeah, tried that - instrument panel warning jewel stayed on the whole time, even while the BEM was unplugged....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next