Fordmods Logo

Ed starting/ cranking issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Ed starting/ cranking issues
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

I just got a jun 94 ed wagon and was told the engine was dead hence why it was parked up. Now I have had the engine looked at and all appears to be good mechanically fine. So it appears to be an electrical issue.

I have since I have had the car had the fuel pump working, starter solenoid click and starter relay click. The smart lock light was flashing slowly until yesterday when it began to flash very fast with the ignition off and the lights for the aftermarket cd player started doing the same thing.

The car also didnt have an ecu when I got it either so I have fitted an ecu from a eb2 non smart lock vehicle. I my efforts to find out what was causing the cd player lights to flash, I got the bcm out and found scorch marks on it. So I felt maybe there could be a short so I took the dash out and checked the loom. I found no signs of damage but I decided to try the dash loom that came out of the same car as the ecu.

Would the ecu an dash loom from a non smart lock car cause any issues? Are there any other areas I should be looking out for?

Post subject: Re: Ed starting/ cranking issues
Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

I'm dealing with what I believe is a an ecu/smartlock issue on my stock EL. Interested to see what comes of this

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I got the car to crank with non smart lock dash loom and ecu, but got the s**t dealing with the log manifold. So I managed to find a cheap ef minus radiator, thermos, engine and box. It turns out I already had the engine and box which I had stripped and sold parts off already but I wanted the wiring.

I had planned on doing thermos, serpentine belt and bbm conversion in the future so figured instead of trying to get all that to work with the ed/eb loom, swapping all the ef looms and dash in would be easier except the ef is a sedan and the ed a wagon.

Anyways I got all the ef dash and looms in except to the rear wiring for rear wipers and lights and fuel pump and send but have started converting the ef sedan loom to plug into the wagon loom. I am also using the ed column loom as I cant swap the ef column in due to the ed being a column shift. But after looking at the 2 looms the only different form the ingniot barrel wiring is the plug, so that has been changed to ef style.

Now this is where I am having some issues. I re-programed the bcm which allowed me to crank the car. Then I connected the fuel pump and tried again. nothing. I re-programed again and the pump primed and I was able to crank again. So hooked a lead to no.1 on the coil and fitted a plug to see if I could see a spark. Went to try crank and nothing. So re-programed again and it primed and cranked and I saw spark.

So at this point I grabbed some plugs I had from other falcons I have had as well as some leads to see if I could get the car to start. Went and turned the key and wouldnt you know it, nothing. So yet again I re=programed the bcm again and the engine cranked but as yet hasnt started but the plugs leads and coil could all be buggered.

What I have found though is if I dont turn the ingition off for longer then 2mins after re-programing I can keep turning the key and the car will crank. If I turn the ignition off longer I need to re-program the bcm again.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why?

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

head_ache wrote:
What I have found though is if I dont turn the ingition off for longer then 2mins after re-programing I can keep turning the key and the car will crank. If I turn the ignition off longer I need to re-program the bcm again.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why?

look i have no real idea [nor experience] ... but if ya hava ta keep reprograming are ya sure everything is connected & correctly??

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Well thats what I am trying to work out but all I did was swap the dash, dash loom, body loom and engine bay loom from the ef and and fit it to the ed. As mentioned I didnt use the ignition barrel loom from the ef. What gets me is that I had the understanding that if the ecu and bcm werent getting the correct signals from what they needed, the car wouldnt crank let alone be getting fuel and spark.

But why would I need to keep re-programing? Does the ef electrics need an accessory fitted to make it work? There are no thermo fans fitted yet and there is no air bag or the unit near the bonnet latch, but the rest of the system is there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]