Fordmods Logo

Ef coil pack in El xr6 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ef coil pack in El xr6
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

I have recently built my 4.0 using a coil pack instead of a distributor to put in my El xr6. I have changed the engine loom to suit the ef ecu and coil pack etc. the only think I have noticed is that the connectors to the bcm are different between the ef and el. Do I need to change the bcms or can I run the ef Ecu and keep the El bcm.

Please can someone help and suggest something because now I have hit a dead end.

Post subject: Re: Ef coil pack in El xr6
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Should be no reason you can't wire it up as per the EL BEM... As far as I'm aware the enable signal to the PCM is the same... The key barrels are the same to enable the BEM... As long as you make sure wherever the EF PCM loom plugs into the EL dash loom and into the BEM, that all the wiring functions line up right as they cross into the existing EL wiring...

Why have you gone to so much trouble to run a coil pack? As far as I can tell, the EF system must have been flawed for Ford to go back to a dizzy in the EL... AU run the best coil pack set up with the VR sensor in the front case...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

So I can't just plug in the ef ecu and leave the El Bem and off I go? I started off wanting to put the engine in my ef and built it for it then down the track bought a manual El xr6 for cheap and thought I'll put it in that. Everything else is ok. It's now I don't know if I'll have a problem using a ef ecu and El bem.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:03 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You wont... But you've changed the engine harness to EF yes? It runs into the passenger footwell and somewhere there it has to plug into the EL dash loom the car already has... Or have you run in an EF dash harness too?

Wherever the EF harness plugs into the EL harness, you need to make sure the wiring all lines up through the plug... The BEM is plugged into the dash harness... At least it is on EA thru ED and AU, can't see why on EF the BEM plugs into the engine harness? In this plug you'll get other stuff as well as the BEM wiring... Things like tacho ouput to the cluster, speedo drive to the cluster, oil pressure to the cluster... All that stuff leaves the EF PCM harness you run in and goes into the EL dash harness somewhere...

Unless as I said you've fitted an EF dash harness too or there is something I'm missing?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:00 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

As Tim said - all important bit omitted - what dash loom are you using?

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I'm just using a stock El one. The only thing I've cjanged is ecm engine wiring and engine.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:45 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

So the BEM does plug in... Because it's still plugged into the engine harness?

Does the EF PCM loom plug into the EL dash loom? Is this the connection you're having troubles with?

If it isn't about some photos of the offending plug/plugs?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

What do you mean omitted? Sorry I'm struggling get my head around it. I don't know much about the dash loom and Pcm. I do know the connectors from the engine loom to the other wiring are the same. I haven't changed anything but the engine loom and ecu. The El bem plugs in fine because it's stock but dont I have o use the ef bem because of the ecu or should I be ok. Sorry if it is confusing

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:15 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No don't use the EF BEM then... Leave the EL plugged in as it was...

Somewhere the EF engine (PCM) loom has to plug into the EL dash loom and probably engine bay loom and such to get power and send information out such... The plugs may be the same and it may plug in... But you need to make 100% sure they are wired the same (same function on the same pin) otherwise if you don't check and cross reference you may burn it to the ground... Just because they plug into each other doesn't mean they're wired the same...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:31 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I made up an adaptor lead to plug an EF high series BEM into an EL high series BEM loom. This was mainly for testing.

Everything worked, except the battery saver feature that EL's have. What I had was the interior overhead lights not working. What I did from memory was connect the battery saver line in the adaptor to battery 12v, then that worked too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yes well I have changed the pcm (ecm) to a manual ef one and the ef loom with it. There is 2 connectors at the end that I gather connects to the dash loom. What I have seen the connectors are the same, pins aswell. So now do j need to make sure the wire colours are the same and then I can use the El bem with my manual pcm?

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Just on this - the EF Coilpack system was superior - EL went back to Dizzy as a cost saving measure.

Nigel

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

im unsure if colours are the same but definatly double check the wires between the 2 models are matched up together with wiring diagrams if you can find some, even if someone on the internet says they fit up 100%. if theres anything ive learnt from taking internet advice its most of the time incorrect and you get 4/5 of the way through a job and s**t hits the fan!
just like a simple tub swap i done on an 85 hilux, the 90 model tub doesnt fit 100% but 1500 people on the internet will tell you every bolt lines up as the old one did, front 2 are out by a mile!!
have fun.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ok so I should be fine with everything if the wires are the same and if not all I have to do is change the dash loom to an ef one?

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Does anyone have a ef dash loom wiring diagram?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next