Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: EF horn not working?
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:53 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yes especially if the fluid isn't red... Brown or black are bad and if it smells burnt it's buggered too (the oil)... Once it gets to that stage it needs to be taken straight out and filter replaced and the system flushed out...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Fairmont

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Yes especially if the fluid isn't red... Brown or black are bad and if it smells burnt it's buggered too (the oil)... Once it gets to that stage it needs to be taken straight out and filter replaced and the system flushed out...

Cheers,
Tim

Got the horn working was a relay in the end as we all suspected

But now i have a very strange problem , when i have the lights on e,g parkers or head lights , the power antenna keeps making noise's so far only things ive done is , add a head unit i am quite 99% sure i didn't connect a speaker output to the antenna trigger if there is one there

Any remedies ? , i also hear a relay type of sound inside the car now due to this i don't need the aerial as its broken and don't plan to put a new one in , is there anything i can do ?

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Remedy would be to pull the head unit back out and see if it stops... If it does then you jammed the wiring when you added it and it needs fixing...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Remedy would be to pull the head unit back out and see if it stops... If it does then you jammed the wiring when you added it and it needs fixing...

Cheers,
Tim

This is very weird ,

But i have put the brightness on the cluster lights on max , and now it has gone away only goes up and down once then shuts up ,

But when it was playing up i could hear the BEM under the steering wheel left side going crazy clicking away

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Also , would you know if there is a fuse for the electric aerial ? , if so i shall just pull it out ASAP

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:38 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ariel won't have its own fuse... Most likely be on the cd radio fuse... Sounds weird to me like you've shorted a wire out to something else to cause this behaviour... I'd be looking at what you've added/chopped/changed if it wasn't doing it before... Did you use an aeropro wiring plug which plugs into the car dash plug and gives you bare tails? They're all colour coded the same as the cd player and make it idiot proof to install a cd player...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Ariel won't have its own fuse... Most likely be on the cd radio fuse... Sounds weird to me like you've shorted a wire out to something else to cause this behaviour... I'd be looking at what you've added/chopped/changed if it wasn't doing it before... Did you use an aeropro wiring plug which plugs into the car dash plug and gives you bare tails? They're all colour coded the same as the cd player and make it idiot proof to install a cd player...

Cheers,
Tim

Nah previous owner butchered up the loom hard with violence it looks like, But i did use a test light to get the 2 power lines needed and the rest speakers

Also i have seen a car audio shop worker use a 9V battery i believe it was , on wires to find which is the speaker ,

Is this a real world method or would it do damage the speakers

as i am not 110% sure if found all the wires for the speakers as i only connected 3 and im not even sure if all 3 work so if battery method is a true method i will try it

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Using a battery will fry the voice coils... That's a lazy a** slack rough auto electrician method... People too lazy and tight to buy the right gear... You should never ever put raw dc onto a speaker...

One speaker has an orange pair or wires... One has a grey pair... One has a pink pair and one has a blue pair... Of the pairs one will have a black trace and the positive will have another coloured trace...

Ideally if you were going to fix it properly you'd find the factory plug off a wrecker and solder it back into the dash loom and then buy the aeropro adaptor plug and make up a patch harness and do it right...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Using a battery will fry the voice coils... That's a lazy a** slack rough auto electrician method... People too lazy and tight to buy the right gear... You should never ever put raw dc onto a speaker...

One speaker has an orange pair or wires... One has a grey pair... One has a pink pair and one has a blue pair... Of the pairs one will have a black trace and the positive will have another coloured trace...

Ideally if you were going to fix it properly you'd find the factory plug off a wrecker and solder it back into the dash loom and then buy the aeropro adaptor plug and make up a patch harness and do it right...

Cheers,
Tim

Great those where the colours i used the pairs

Also for some reason , when 1 rear speaker was connected it made a buzzing sound when the CD player went on and off , not sure if its a head unit fault or not , but i might just run some fresh speaker cable for the culprit offender

Also regarding cluster lights and trip computer , when going LED's is it a must to run resistors , i do not want to burn out the cluster or BCM

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:33 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If it's buzzing then it's possible the outout on the head unit is dead... The speaker could be damaged too... Get a multi meter and check the resistance of the voice coil in the speaker... Compare it to another speaker... Should be about 4 ohms...

All the LEDs on eBay have the resistor built in for a 12 volt system... As long as you order t10 LEDs you'll be fine.. If you order the bare led to make them yourself then you'll need to add the resistor... You won't hurt the car but the led will only last for about half a second if a resistor isn't used...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:06 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If it is an EF Fairmont, the cluster lights and trip comp will be T5 globes. You will need white or Black globe holders to fit them in as with the blue ones the globes don't come out. Climate control and shifter are T10 as are the footwell globes.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:31 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Have done foot wells , and auto shifter with T10

Will do the trip computer next , and then await for T5's to come in the post to do cluster and sort out this speaker problems

Oh also the car has a 6 stacker , but no amp behind the drivers boot carpet in the boot ,

and no sub in parcel shelf , would it have been premium sound this car had ?

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No premium sound.

Sounds like it just had the stacker, maybe an aftermarket fitment or dealer fitted.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Sorted seems like 1 of the rear speakers are blown

I have also sorted out the head unit install no more aerial up and down , there where two pairs of blue wires for speaker i mixed them up ,

Also would you guy's know a fix for the power window's , my switches and wiring works , i purchased a brand new window motor for drivers side but i really want to try fix the current passenger side front , the motor is not responding to power input

Would you;s know if there is a common problem for a cheap fix with these motors

Thank you

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheap fix is Replace Them. :D

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next